Tuesday 29 April 2014

PSV Match, Sedges Tile Lake, 27-04-14

Sunday saw me at Tile lake on the popular Sedges fishery for a PSV match, with 19 of us fishing and the lake having been well fished last week for the Avalon/Sedges festival, it was going to be a bit tough. Tile lake is also one of my bogey venues, I don't ever seem to get into any sort of rhythm and often end up faffing around.

I was up early after a semi-decent nights sleep and after loading the kit into the car I had a cuppa and went over to McDonalds for a double sausage muffin. Which was nice.
I arrived at the fishery at 8:15 as I couldn't remember what time the draw was, Denise made me a drink and after a quick natter a few other guys arrived and some banter flowed.

The 9am-ish draw was upon us and everyone wanted one of pegs 40, 21 and 31, all corner pegs that are worth a few fish. The road side, far end pegs (26-30) were the ones to avoid, they can be very patchy and with the wind blowing from the north towards pegs 40 and 21 these pegs are not the best.
Sadly I pulled out peg 27, a peg I have fished before and even in the summer I have struggled for double figures at times.

Peg 27 on Tile Lake

Steve Burgess managed another corner peg in the current lake flyer, peg 21. He had Alan Healey next to him on p22.  On peg 40 was Adam Caswell, he was gonna fish for silvers....
The other 'flyer' saw Lionel Legge sat on peg 31.

I set up a method rod, a bomb rod and 3 pole rigs, basically the same rigs as the day previous at Larford.
I had some choppie mix for skimmers along with some 6 and 8mm pellets, meat and hemp for the carp, plus the obligatory micros for the method.
After potting various baits in, some worm mix at 10 o'clock direction at 11m, some wet 6's at 11m but in the 1 o'clock direction. Lastly I cupped some meat/hemp combo at 2+2. I'd also try the margins later in the match.

I began on the method and was soon playing a 3lb carp, 20 minutes later I had another of similar size then a baby skimmer.
After 90 minutes I only had the 3 fish in the net, peg 26 had next to nothing, peg 25 had landed a few carp on the pellet feeder. Peg 28 also had landed, and lost, a couple fish on the pellet feeder.
Elsewhere pegs 31 and 32 had been catching from the start and peg 30 had a solitary carp 1st chuck.

A look on each of the pole lines didn't give me a bite, infact the pellet line never gave me more than 1 bite which I think was a liner, the worm line gave me a baby perch, a roach and a skimmer of 4oz. The margins gave me sweet f.a. as well.
Back on the feeder and another small carp and a skimmer were netted, by now it was 2pm and the pegs from 25 to 30 were properly struggling.
Another chuck on the method saw my rod wrap round straight away and I was into a decent fish, I played it for 5 minutes or so and ended up landing the 'lump' which was maybe 10lb, it had a great big fat belly and was a welcome addition to my scarcely worthwhile net.
On peg 28 the chap had landed a couple lumps from his margin to add to his few 'tip caught fish.
Peg 30 looked like he was packing up.
I could see that Steve and Alan on pegs 21 and 22 respectively had a few fish as had the few I could see on the opposite bank.

At 3pm I had a look on the short pole line and started to feed by hand heavily, this bought the only response of the day from here in that I managed to net an 8lb fish.
That was it for my match.
Next door on peg 28, a couple more lumps were landed, including one after the whistle, and he'd now had more weight than me.

The all out was called and everyone packed away.
I wandered down to Mr Burgess on peg 21, who had done well and looked to be in contention for the match, but Alan had done well too.
The weigh in started with Steve putting 58lb 5oz on the board then Alan put 40-odd pounds in the net, but his silvers weighed a lowly (for the lake) 10lb 8oz.
A few 20 and 30lb weights followed including my net of around 39lb.
Onto peg 31 and Lionel had amassed 51lb 15oz, then we carried on through to pegs 37, 38 and 39.
They amassed 54-08 (Matt Taynton), 79lb (Matt Challenger) and 51lb 7oz (Mark Radford), so the fish had followed the wind, as they do on Tile, and they'd all had a decent day's fishing.
The silver fish angler on Peg 40 dnw'd as he'd only come ready for skimmers and never had a running line with him, it was a carpy corner for sure!!

Results:
1. Matt Challenger (38) 79-0
2. Steve Burgess (21) 58-5
3. Matt Taynton (37) 54-8
4. Lionel Legge (31) 51-15
5. Mark Radford (39) 51-7
Silvers: Alan Healey (23) 10-8

So my Tile Lake hoodoo continues, one day I will get over it......perhaps.
But it was an enjoyable day for sure.

I don't know where I am fishing Sunday and I am half tempted to fish the Larford MMT qualifier on Saturday. I think I will decide later in the week....in the meantime the Sedges evening matches begin this Thursday, just turn up for the 5pm draw.

Oh and I must remember to give Steve Burgess his quid at some point....

Until next time, roll on summer....

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment