Sunday 20 April 2014

Clevedon Club Match. Sedges Brick Lake, 20-04-14

Today saw me fishing the Clevedon match on Sedge's Brick lake, it is the 1st time the club has used the fishery for a match, but they will definitely be back there in 2015.
A lot of the guys hadn't seen the venue, some only fished it once or twice.

Anyways not much to write about for me today.
I drew peg 17, not my favourite, a couple pegs too high for decent silvers weights and a peg or 2 away from slightly better carp pegs, but the good thing about the lake is that it is generally fair overall, obviously the pegs 10 and 11 (far end corners) are usually in the mix come the results, as are pegs 15, 14, 6 and 7 for the silvers.

I set up a lead/feeder rod but never had a bite on that, I also set up a pellet waggler, but other than a lost foul hooked fish on my 2nd cast, I only had a couple indications on that.
My pole rigs were set up with the forecast stronger winds in mind:
A rig for 11.5m for meat over meat with carp the aim, but I wont mention this again as I never had a bite on that,
A rig for 11.5m slightly to my right for chopped worm and caster, this was ideally to target the decent head of skimmers, plus odd tench, eel and maybe bonus carp if I get them in on the lighter kit.
I set up a rig for banded 8mm pellets over wetted 6's, this would be fished at topkit plus 1 section.
Lastly I had a margin rig made up for along my right hand edge, to fish whole worm over groundbait with a few casters in. I hoped mostly for carp here, but the bonus decent skimmer can be expected.

The match began on the waggler, but lost a foul hooked fish. I then fed my pole lines before going back out on the feeder, but never had a knock in the next half hour.
Next to me on peg 18 was Kev Perry who had a few fish in  the first hour, and he kept catching throughout, and never looked on his pole lines.
On peg 15 was Chris Parr, he was bagging decent skimmers, and after 2hrs probably had 20lb in the net, next to him was Jonny Page, he too had landed some decent silvers.
I couldn't see much else, but gathered that Adie on peg 11 would be catching a few (it turned out he was), also Lance Tucker on peg 10 would bag a few.

After 2hrs I had 3 small skimmers and a bonus 3lb carp from my 11.5m worm line.
A look down the edge saw my only bite from there, and a 3lb carp was netted.
The 3rd hour was quiet, with only 1 skimmer from my 11.5m worm line.
A few guys had to weigh fish (15lb per individual fish being the net limit), but none on my bank went over, though Paul Purchase had 2 lumps of 14lb 2oz and 14lb 12oz.

For the last 2hrs I concentrated on the margins and topkit+1 lines, but the margin never gave a bite, I did however land a handful of both carp and decent skimmers (plus a baby tench) on banded 8's.
I also had to laugh when Kev Perry had a psycho carp come into my swim when I was playing a decent carp, unluckily for me I could feel the grating of line against line and I was broken as Kev's mainline had cut through my rig between bulk and dropper shot.....earlier on he managed to tangle a carp he was playing with my feeder line....but all was sorted on that occasion.

The whistle sounded and I knew I hadn't done great, none of my carp were in the usual brick lake stamp, well except one I had on at the whistle, which was maybe 8lb, the others were 3lbers, which is a little under the norm for the lake.
I figured the match would be contested between Adie on peg 11 and Kev Perry next to me on p18. However Ivan Currie, Lance Tucker and Simon Carvalho all looked to have around 100lb each, the silvers looked to be tied up by Gappy (Chris Parr) on peg 15, Pagey on 14 and Barrie Fowler on the far bank looked to be competing for 2nd silvers money.

The rain and hail arrived in earnest as we packed up, making the weighing in fun with wet sheets and sodden anglers....as I found out by doing the board on my bank!!
The far bank gave up 100lb plus weights to both Ivan Currie and Lance Tucker on pegs 9 and 10 respectively.  The other pegs from 1 to 8 gave odd decent weights but it was very much up and down.
Adie weighed in 120lb+ from the peg I expected to win (peg 11). The silvers went to Chris Parr, he recorded a very healthy 41lb 9oz.
My nets went 14lb 4oz worth of silvers and 40lb+ of carp. I didn't get exact ounces due to the rain etc.
Kev's fish went over 130lb, while Paul Purchase on peg 20 had those two 14lb+ fish and a few more and had 60lb+ I think.

Results:
Kev Perry, 130lb 3oz, peg 18, all on lead/8mm pellet]
Adie Baker, 121lb 3oz, peg 11, mostly pole along the end bank, plus a few on wag.
Lance Tucker, 111lb 14oz, peg 10, late run of fish towards the end bank boosted his weight.
Ivan Currie, 105lb 12oz, peg 9, pole long and lead caught fish I believe.

Silvers went to Chris Parr who caught long and short with chopped worm & caster, p15, 41lb 9oz of mostly skimmers with a few tench and eels chucked in.
2nd in silvers was Barry Fowler with 34lb, I am not sure what peg, maybe 3 or 4? again mostly skimmers.

I enjoyed the match and there are a few things I may have changed. I found it odd I couldn't get a bit on my lead set-up, despite my rig being the same as Kev's and probably only 20m apart. Fish are funny things.

Next week I am back at Sedges, Tile Lake I believe, with PSV.
But before that I have a Fishomania qualifier at Maver Larford Lakes, somewhere I have yet to see!!

Take care and tight lines.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment