Tuesday 15 April 2014

Pawlett Club, Sedges Fishery, Silvers only match, 13-04-14

Sunday was the Pawlett Legion Angling Club's silvers match at the popular Sedges Fishery in Bridgwater.
There was 23 of us down to fish, 2 sections of 8 on Brick lake and another section of 7 on Tile lake's causeway bank, which most expected to do better with less pressure. The 6 corner (carpy) pegs were left out so we were all in a row.
The weather was rather pleasant, loads of carp were in the upper layers, but the light breeze that was forecast looked less than light, but not too bad.

The 9am draw was made, we were to fish 10am to 4pm. I drew towards the back end of the queue and pulled out a peg in my usual Brick lake area, peg 13, I seem to be up in pegs 11-13 pretty regularly, one day I may get 7 to 10....!! Not a bad draw though.
For company I had Big Nick Selway on peg 14, Giffy on peg 15 and on peg 12 I had Kev Lock.

Peg 13, Sedges Brick Lake


I got to my peg and set about tackling up, I got my box sorted, nets done, bait prepped and then had to make up a couple rigs as I didn't have any deep enough.
The 1st rig was for chopped worm and caster, an 0.8g NG Gimp on 0.14>0.10>B911f1 size 16.
The 2nd was for expanders over wet 6mm pellets and a few micros, the float was an NG Power Pencil in 0.5g, hooks and line were the same and both elastics were 6-8 middy solids.

The all in sounded and I cupped 3/4 of a pot of the worm mix at 14.5 in the 1 o'clock direction. I also potted half a cup of pellets at the same distance in the 10 o'clock direction, both lines using trees on the far bank as markers.
Giffy and Kev went out on the pole while Nick started on the feeder, I never set up a running line rig, which in hindsight may have been a mistake, especially when after 10 minutes Nick had a nice skimmer, a second following soon after.
Giffy hooked 3 or 4 carp on his first few drops on the pole.

It took me 20 minutes for my 1st bite, this gave me a small skimmer, then another followed.
Kev had not had a bite. On the far bank a few skimmers were being caught and the usual nuisance carp.
The end of the 1st hour had given me 4 blade skimmers and a rudd, Nick had 3 or 4 skimmers on the feeder and Giffy had also set up a feeder. Kev, I think, had a couple bits but had hooked and landed and lost some carp.

The 2nd hour saw me set up a new rig for topkit+1. I had began to loose feed caster here, with the odd nugget of groundbait. I stayed on the longer lines, with the worm line being most productive, I had a tench of a couple pounds or so along with a skimmer around 1lb.  I looked miles behind most from what I could see, except Kev who was enjoying hooking a carp nearly every drop on any of his lines...it was quite amusing,

I kept plugging away, picking up odd fish and by 1pm I had maybe 4lb of bits and bobs. I came over my short line and hooked a nice skimmer on the 1st drop, this was followed by a couple roach and a blade skimmer.
The next hour was amusing as I hooked no fewer than 9 carp from my two long lines, landing 6 with the largest being around 17lb, this was rather fun on the light kit, the 3 I lost were foul hooked, 1 foul hooked fish I did land had decided to do a tour of the 2 swims to my left..!! But I got that 7lb fish in.
I did land a bream around 3lb plus a small tench of 1lb.
Nick and Giffy were about level, both picking up decent skimmers on the feeder, plus the odd carp.
Kev was into another carp, probably his 15th.....

On the far bank Keith Clapp was said to have had a few skimmers as had Jay King. A few other guys were picking up odd skimmer here and there, the roach were not feeding due to the bright conditions.

The last 90 minutes or so were spent on the short line as it seemed every time I went out to the long lines I would connect with a carp, so I wrote these off, hoping that I could get the roach feeding, maybe catching a few skimmers too.
I got into a routine of feeding a small nugget of groundbait every other drop plus a dozen casters or maggots every minute or so. This seemed to do the trick as a few more skimmers came to my net, the largest being around 2lb, these boosted my weight somewhat.
I did hook a few carp, landing a couple, pulling out of a few more.

Nick and Giffy also had carp problems on the feeder, but still picked up the odd skimmer, so it would be close between them.
The all out sounded and I guessed I had maybe 12-15lb to their 20lbs or so. Kev on p12 had caught a handful of skimmers late, but didn't weigh in. He did have shed loads of carp though.
I wasn't sure of what the pegs further down had done, but Paul Purchase had landed a few skimmers from what I could gather. It looked a close weight affair all over.

The scales arrived at my peg with J.King (p5) leading the way with 32lb+,  Eric Fouracre had 29lb from Tile peg 36. Keith had put around 25lb on the board (peg 4). A couple 20lb weights had come from Brick and 2 weights of 24lb had come from the less pressured Tile lake.
My usual underestimated net went 23lb 4oz which was 3rd on the lake, 6th overall at this point.
Nicks net went 19-14, Chris 'Giffy' Ware put 15-10 on the board.
Paul Purchase had landed a good few fish and 22lb 6oz on the scales, Phil Clapp had a pound of so less than Paul.

I loaded the car and went to see the results:

1st was J. King with his 32lb 14oz from Peg 5
2nd was Eric Fouracre on peg 36, he had 29lb 8oz
3rd was Keith Clapp, peg 4, 25lb 10oz

Section winners were:
Rich Coles, peg 35, 24lb 14oz
Mike Davis, peg 7, 20lb 9oz
Lee Williams, peg 13, 23lb 4oz.

Weigh Sheets


I enjoyed the match, but the bright sunny conditions didn't help produce some of the weights the venue can give. Plus the bream seem to be ready to spawn, or maybe just spawned as they are covered in tubercles and look a bit scabby, but they'll soon be in tip-top condition.
The roach never showed like they can, but again the weather possibly played it's part.
Oh and the carp were very active, I am sure most of us landed a good few pounds of them during tha match.

Next up for me is another match on Sedges Brick lake with Clevedon FWAC.

Until then, take care.
Lee


P.S, on a side note, I took my two kids over Trinity on Saturday afternoon, they fished on Wildmarsh, around pegs 48/49. A little match took place, my son choosing the pole, my daughter fishing the waggler in close.
They fished for 4hrs, on and off, with Kaiti winning the silvers with a few pounds of roach, rudd and skimmers to 2lb.
Ciaran had slightly less silvers, but had a couple eels, a golden tench and a little carp which we counted as a silver fish. He also landed a couple carp from his margins on meat the largest around 8lb, but he lost 3 proper lumps (good doubles) to the snags in the edge, 2 of which were hooked on silvers kit.
I really must do some fishing on Wildmarsh as I really do like that lake.

  


No comments:

Post a Comment