Tuesday 8 April 2014

Clevedon Match - Trinity Woodlands

Sunday saw half a dozen of us take up pegs 24 to 29, ideal as the weather was due to be a bit iffy come in mid afternoon
We fished from around 9:45 to 3:30.
The draw was done but really I don't think it would have made a difference to where we were.
I pulled out peg 25. Which was fine.
 
I had planned to fish chopped worm and caster but left my caster at home. Therefore I would simply fish, hopefully, with banded 8's over 6's at 13m (full depth) and again at 2+2 where it was more or less the same depth.
I also planned to try both margins in the last 30-40 minutes using meat.
A shallow rig was assembled but didn't give me a bite.
I set up a method feeder and a pellet wag, the wag never produced a fish so less of that.
 
The match began with half hour on the pellet wag while the pole lines settled, this was not great as it never produced.
A look over the waggler line on the method for half hour gave me a skimmer and a couple of 5lb carp.
 
Elsewhere Adie Baker had been into a few fish on the pole, John W. on peg 24 had a single carp fishing shallow as had Rich Heatley on my left,  he'd also had a carp fishing the lead. There were plenty of fish boshing and moving in the upper layers but I think they would not settle in our calmer water;  they may have if we had been on the other side.
 
A look on the long pole line gave me a carp first chuck followed up by an F1. A 3lb carp soon made its way to the keepnet.
A patchy next hour saw me try the shallow rig but it didn't seem right despite both guys next to me getting odd fish,  Rich getting a few decent roach on banded 8's to.
A look short only gave me a solitary skimmer, and banding 6's didn't change a thing.
 
At 3hrs in and I had around 30lb, which looked at being behind Adie and by the sounds of it Ivan Currie had caught a few. I was ahead of the guys each side of me.
A look on the method feeder produced a handful of carp and two skimmers which boosted my weight somewhat and I was happy enough with my catch rate.
Back on the pole and I found the fish had returned and four on the bounce was good,  but I could still see Adie's elastic being stretched regularly.
By now we were into the last hour and John was beginning to catch a few lumps and was pushing 80lb.
I had put my second net in for carp as I knew my net would be close to 65lb, and given my pants ability at weight guessing (I even used clickers again) I then decided to go down the edge to see if any lumpy carp were about.
First drop produced a missed bite but I connected on the next and an 8lb carp was landed. I quickly had a skimmer and a tench before another carp found its way to my net. A few fish were spooked out of the margin, the bow waves giving this away, but the colour was muddying up nice. I re-fed some more meat.
A quick look on the short pellet line gave me a 6lber. Then it was back down the margins, taking a fish from each side if possible, or at least giving each side a minute or 2 for a bite, I often find that it becomes that only 1 side really produces in decent quantities, never both.
 
The last half hour gave me five foul hooked fish, only landing a baby. I also put another 3 in the net.  John still had lumps and I heard that Ivan had done well.
I thought I had maybe 95lb plus five pounds of silvers. Which consisted of a tench, an F1, 2 roach and five skimmers. I had about 17 carp to 8lb or so.
 
The weigh in began with John Wolstencroft putting 78-04 on the board with carp to over 12lb.
I went next and my silvers weighed 7-12 plus carp gave me 117-05.
Rich H. had double his 25lb guess, putting 52-03 on the board.
Adie had 14-06 of silvers in his 90-05 bag.
Walshy had 14-03 of silvers and a 16lb+ carp (which apparently was 20lb thirty minutes previous..lol). He totalled 67lb and an ounce.
Last up was Ivan Currie. His total was 88-08.
 
Weigh Sheets from the day
 
 
This gave me the win and more pennies for the holiday fund.
It was a good match with the average weight being over 82lb per angler.
I am pleased by the fact I had most of my fish at depth on banded 8mm. Something I have to keep doing as I don't tend to use hard pellets at full depth.
 
Next up for me is a match at Sedges with Pawlett, it's a silver fish contest, so could be fun if the carp wake up..!!
 
Until next time Take Care
 
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment