Sunday 5 June 2016

Larford Lakes, Fisho Qualifier, 05-06-16

Short and sweet today.

Larford Match Lake...
Me and the missus ventured up to Larford for my last feeble attempt at qualifying for the Fisho Semis this year (I doubt i'll take the Gold Valley ressie tiacket option), we arrived in good time and went to get a cuppa and some pellets from the café.
We bumped into Dom Sullivan who'd made the trip up and we discussed various things and surveyed the match lake, plenty of fish showing themselves, but they would wouldn't they?
We both fancied one of the 12 pegs that were put on Arena lake but Phil and his team had pegged the venue as he deemed fit..........but with 40 (yes forty) no shows, some people would get a bit more room.
I managed to get into the draw reasonably early and pulled speci 64, mid way along the far bank.
Dom drew 23 I think on the same lake and Jacko was up on peg 32.
I made my way round there and went about sorting my kit.

Tasty left edge, Larford Speci p64

Nice looking right edge, p64 Larford Speci Lake

Peg 64 Speci Lake at Larford

I had for company on peg 65, Simon Fry, but I also had 2 free pegs to my left, where myself and peg 61 couldn't reach....safe water zone methinks.
But there was loads of fish present all over the lake from around 20yrd out to the middle, the odd one ventured in closer. But these fish were shoaled up, some due to spawn, a few just have we were told.

A pellet waggler rod, a method feeder and 3 pole rigs (left and right edges on 1, a mugging rig and a short meat rig.) I had simple hemp, 8mm meat, 8mm pellets and some groundbait/dead maggots for the edges, plus an array of hookbaits from standard pellets through to 10mm boilies.

I was quietly confident of a few fish...........that didn't last as it was almost 2pm when I managed my 1st bite, a little 4 to 6oz carp on the short meat line.
I had my second fish, mugged on the pellet waggler, at around half past 2 and lost a foul hooker soon after.
I persisted with the pole lines and the waggler, but it was a struggle for most. Simon on peg 65 was on 3 proper carp but was getting some of the small stockies and a couple bream. The rest of my bank was struggling we were told, though Matt Marshall was getting more than most and rumour had it that Neil McKinnon was on about 40lb.
The opposite side of the lake, plus the end bank to my right, all looked to be struggling and quite a few were fishless.

My 3rd carp came at 3pm on the waggler, and my 4th and final proper carp came from my right margin with half an hour to go, my hopes of a late surge were unfounded!!
The all out was called, I packed up and went for a wander.
On my bank it looked like Simon's smaller stock carp and skimmers would be the difference between us, Matt Marshall, a nice lad, went through a few things he had done and he ended up with 10 carp for around 85lb
Neil Mckinnon had around 49lb and there may have been a 60lb from the end peg to my left.
To my right it was James Dent who may have done ok as he had some room.

Anyways, Phil Briscoe weighed me in, 34lb 2oz I think it went for 2nd or 3rd in section behind Matt and Simon (his small fish weighed 15lb!!) and he had 44lb 3oz.

We took the kit back to the car and made our way home

It turned out that Ian Giddins won from the same peg I had last year (I think), unfancied peg 54 on the Match Lake.
He had some late margin lumps and ended with around 120lb..........He also had 8 free pegs around him, so this proves the luck needed (plus be a decent angler usually). So well done him. Ritchie Hull was 3rd, but I am unaware of the rest, but a good few dnw's/blanks and low weights were recorded.
I was reasonably happy with my match, maybe I could have mugged a few on the pole, but really they weren't coming in to range properly until 3:40 or so, by then it was too late!!

Next up for me is the 2nd round of the Saturday Series, we have pegs 42 round to 67 at Trinity Wildmarsh, so at least we should all be able to see most of each other. It'll be tricky, but I hope it's a close match.
Then Sunday it's our club's (Pawlett) All-Winners final at Trinity Woodlands.

Until then, take care.
Lee



No comments:

Post a Comment