Sunday 19 June 2016

Viaduct Spring League, Round 5, 19-06-16

Covering for Paul Nichols today in the last round of their Spring League, so in reality it was a all or nothing match for me, Paul was nowhere near troubling the overall prizes in the league so pressure-free for me, thankfully.
I arrived in plenty of time, registered and waited around for the draw, chatted to Mr Rayner for a few minutes and then tried to get 10 mins shut-eye after a late-ish night last night.

A draw on Campbell was needed for an overall pick-up on the day, Cary and Lodge have been patchy barring a few pegs  ie lodge corners. No silvers pools today either, so no sensible fishing, haha.
I waited until towards the back end of the queue on the draw, dipping my hand into the tin after Ben Hagg. He had peg 94 I think, I plucked peg 80 on Cary, not too bad a draw, but really only a 7 peg section to fish for. For company, on peg 78, was Lee Werrett.

Cary Peg 80
Simple on the bait front today, 8mm pellet, 6mm pellet, 8mm meat, hemp, some paste and assorted hook pellets.
I set up a bomb rod for generally off the point of the spit, a pellet waggler (only had 3 chucks, wind iffy) and 3 topkits for the pole. A meat over hemp rig for 6m in the 1 o'clock direction, this would also do for under the 1st bush on the spit.
A banded pellet rig for 14m along the spit, just before some brambles.
Lastly a shallow rig which remained unused.
I had around 2ft all over the peg, so quite shallow really and I didn't fancy the fish to settle in this area, it would be just hoping to pick up an odd visitor.

At the all in I chucked out the lead before potting any bait anywhere as there was the odd patches of bubbles and bow waves as fished moved around the area.
15 minutes passed before I reeled in and fed the pole lines.
Back on the lead and I had a little flurry of activity as I put 4 carp in the net before the first hour was done, maybe 32lb in total.
I was hoping to keep that going for the rest of the match....... Hoping!!
Elsewhere the diagonal bank was fishing better than ours with most of the guys (and Emma Drysdale) were picking up odd fish here or there.
My bank, by all jungle drums, was hard.

Well the next 2.5hrs dragged, only managed a few nice roach and skimmers off all 3 of the pole lines, and my neighbours were struggling with silvers rather than carp.
Behind me on Campbell, it sounded a bit more active with a few guys catching well enough.
2:30pm arrived and I had my 5th carp, an 8lber on the lead, soon after I had my 1st on the pole short with meat, it tore off like a train and I followed it out before I gained line and had it in the landing net, it was a 20lb+ fish without a doubt. There were definitely fish in my peg, but all I would get is bow waves when I missed bites, I shallowed up and I didn't get any indications, tried slightly off my feed again no signs. The fish were coming to the feed but not getting their heads down. I snuck another out on the lead, a 7lber that went in the 1st net.

As we approached the last hour I could see peg 81 catching a few as was my neighbour on peg 78, again short on meat mostly.  I had another wrap on the lead and another big fish accompanied it's friend in the net, so that was 2 carp for maybe 40lb!! Bonus.
The last hour was well underway when I had my 9th and last carp, a 6lb fish went in with it's elder cousins, so I finished with 9 carp, my clickers showed 50lb for the 6 fish net, my 3 fish net was clicked to 50lb also. Plus maybe 8lb of silvers?

The all out sounded just as I managed to foul hook a lump of maybe 13lb when reeling in, it took a few minutes to get in, but I did, and I kept it the landing net, undecided whether to keep it or not, after a minute or 3 I chucked it back, I wasn't sure if I had hooked it on the all-out or moments after, so I went with caution. Good or bad choice?

Anyways I packed up in the rain and waited for the scales, a quick glance at the board saw Chris Fox winning the section with 116lb.
I had 3 weighs and my silvers, my 6 carp net weighed 53lb, my 3 carp net weighed 49lb (2 twenties and a 6 or 7lber) and I had around 9lb of silvers for a shade over 111lb. Maybe that fish I put back would cost me the section?
The opposite bank all looked to have fared a lot better than my side. Over on lodge, peg 66 was getting plenty, and it seemed he was getting keepnets regularly.

I finished packing up and headed for home.

Oh and we all had a little entertainment when Emma Drysdale hooked a lump on the pole, and after 30 minutes of stalemate, swearing (on Emma's part) and probably a bit of tiredness, Emma landed a large common, in doing so plenty of expletives came from her!! It was funny, someone mentioned an orgasm!! It weighed 23lb 5oz.

As it turned out, I was 3rd in section, but I am unsure of the section winning weight.
Overall Trig (Craig Edmunds) won the day with a 200lb+ weight from peg 125, he also retained the series title he won last year. 4 section wins.
There was 26 100lb+ nets on the day, and of the top 12 it was 10 from Campbell, one from Lodge and one from Cary.

Results on the day: All Campbell except 2nd place and 9th.
1. Craig Edmunds - 243lb 15lb - peg 125
2. Mike Williams - 220lb 15oz - peg 66 (Lodge lake)
3. Paul Elms - 211lb 9oz - peg 121
4. Dan White - 209lb - peg 127
5. Rob Jones - 192lb 6oz - peg 128
6. Gary O'Shea - 188lb 14oz - peg 114
7. Scott Puddy - 179lb - peg 112
8. Mark Jones - 175lb 1oz - peg 126
9. David Simpkins - 161lb 13oz - peg 100 (Cary)
10. Tom Wallis - 158lb 2oz - peg 110

I have Wednesday off work, I went on the Huntspill this last week and had plenty of small silvers and no bream. Not sure where I will head this week?
Next Sunday it is Sedges for me with the Pawlett Posse!!

Until then, take care.
Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment