Tuesday 31 May 2016

PSV Match, Sedges Brick Lake, 29/05/16

Not too long a blog for this match as it wasn't too interesting for around 16 of us!! 2 guys did well though!!

I arrived as normal, declined a cuppa as I was a bit toastie and had just finished one at home not 10 minutes before arriving at the venue. The carp were spawning everywhere and the wind was pushing from the north into pegs 1 and 20.....hmm I wonder where the carp would mostly be?
It was an impromptu pairs match also and I think I was paired with Matt Williams, alas that went out of the window at 2:30 when he and Lee Waller packed up!!

I drew peg 8, happy enough with that, not expecting to get into the top 2 in silvers or carp, but hopeful of a few bites. I had Adam Caswell on my left and Degsy Williams on my right.
I put up a silvers rig on soft 8 elastic for 14m in front. Maggot over groundbait here,
A pellet waggler (unused)
A short meat rig (fishless) and a pellet rig for a metre off the bank to my left away from the spawning fish on my right, this rig went fishless. I am not keen on fishing amongst spawning fish.
Lastly a long line mugging rig.

At the all in I started on the pole for skimmers and had a 6oz fish was put in the keepnet.
Then that was it.......
After 3 hours.....yes 3 hours I was up to 6 roach, 2 small skimmers and a 1lb eel. I had switched my laccy to 4-6 as I was bumping the odd silver fish.
Of the 14 others I could see, only Rich Jones on peg 20 was doing ok, the rest had odd skimmer and at most 1 or 2 carp. Pooe Adam hadn't had a bite and Lee Waller was walking the banks.
Tile lake behind looked to be suffering the same fate!!

As we approached the 4th hour I hooked a big eel, it simply hugged the bottom, and despite 14m of pole high in the air I couldn't shift it, soon enough the inevitable occurred and the rig flew back at me with a big mass of eel slime and a load of debris off the lake bed!!
I then had a skimmer of 10oz or so and popped the odd rudd in the net.
I managed to mug a carp at around 2:30 before getting off my box to set up a 0.1g silvers rig for topkit fishing down the edges.
I began feeding maggots down each edge and after a while was getting the odd small roach and stuff, I also managed a couple carp on single maggot, both landed on 0.08 hooklengths.
A couple foul hooked carp were lost and I stepped up to 0.10 hooklength.

At 3pm I think Adam had his 1st fish, he had his 2nd soon after, both skimmers. Lee Waller and Matt Williams had both packed up and everyone except pegs 1 and 20 were struggling.
I thought I had hooked another carp on the silvers kit so tried to quickly get back to my top kit when a nice skimmer popped up.....and fell off....teaches me for rushing!!

Then the all out came, I finished with 3 carp and I figured between 7 and 8lb of silvers, so unlikely to win any coin. As it happens, that skimmer cost me as Mike Wilson won the silvers with 10lb and a few ounces and Chris Gay had 6oz more than me with 8lb 5oz. I had 7lb 15oz plus 18lb 1oz of carp.
My 26lb was around 9th.
The top 2 on the day had over 320lb between then with Will Dearlove having 184lb 1oz to Rich Jones' 145lb 12oz from pegs 1 and 20 respectively. Matt Taynton was 3rd with 49lb+, the rest of the weights ranged from 2lb to 33lb and dnw's.

Results:
1st, peg 1, Will Dearlove, 184lb 1oz
2nd, peg 20, Rich Jones, 145lb 12oz

1st silvers, Mike Wilson, 10lb 15oz from peg 2
2nd silvers, Chris Gay, 8lb 5oz from peg 15

Pairs winners were Will Dearlove and Chris Gay.

So, hopefully, the fishing will now start to settle, hopefully, we will get some winds from the south, and hopefully everyone can start to catch a few as the fish spread post-spawning.
On a side note, looking at the match results across the area, it was defo a weekend where the fish were on the wind!!

Oh it is my last fisho attempt of 2016 this coming Sunday at Larford, would love to draw a good peg there, I haven't as yet. The wife is coming with me, so at least I have company on the trip up.

Until next time, have fun.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment