Monday 28 September 2015

Landsend Match and Speci Lakes, HLS match, 27-09-15

Sunday was a blinding day in terms of weather, a typical 'Indian Summer's' day, overnight temps were a cool 4 or 5 degrees with the usual mist patches and plenty of dew on the grass when I awoke.
Temperature rose to around 20 degrees during the day, with sunshine throughout..........ideal for topping up the tan, less conductive to good catches of fish.

However, I had booked onto this match with the club thanks to work colleague, Paul Berry, on Thursday evening. At that point I was the 16th and last person fishing, but some late booking-ins boosted the attendance by 5 or 6.
We'd been due to fish the match lake (lake 2), but secured the north bank of the speci lake (lake 1).
I arrived in loads of time and said the usual hellos to plenty of the guys I know.
I dipped the nets and loaded my trolley before waiting for the draw.
I fancied peg 13, a really good and inform peg. Other than that 11 or any along the south bank of the match lake will suffice (I had only fished peg 1 on the north bank on previous visits). I fancied the speci lake to produce better skimmers as there was less pressure on the water on Saturday.

Bob had put 24 pegs in the bucket, 8 on each of the 3 banks we were using on the day.
I waited until nearer the end of the queue and saw that Phil Beards had plucked peg 13, Mike Davis was in a nice peg (peg 24) and that Shaun Larkham and Ross Baker were in less favourable pegs (37 and 38).
I plucked peg 6, not sure if it was decent, but I had the point of the island in front of me at 14.5m and a couple of nice edges.
Company wise, I had Mike Bendell on peg 5 and nobody until peg 10 (Kev Hayes), so 3 empty spaces for the fish to hide in..!! Opposite me was Northern George, on peg 18. Both him and Mike would be targeting the silvers, generally speaking.

Landsend peg 6.
I surveyed the scene in front of me and decided on a few lines of attack.
The 1st would be at 2+1 slightly off to my right for meat over hemp.
The second would be for banded pellet towards the point of the island, using 6 and 8mm pellets.
A rig for down to my left under the branches would be my 3rd line, but this remained fishless, so no more on that (I was gonna use corn over pellets here).
Oh and a depth pellet rig for 14m in front between the islands, this remained fishless....!!
I couldn't fish down to peg 7 as the foliage to my right hindered my view and blocked my off a touch.
I never set a silvers rig up at this point as I thought I may well catch a few carp, although there were not many in the area that inspired confidence to back up my theory.

At the all in I went gently and put a small helping of pellets across and started on the meat....I waited....and waited....and waited.
It was a good 90 minutes before my 1st carp arrived, that was hooked by the island and was definitely welcome, only a 4lb pup, but at least I hadn't blanked!!
Elsewhere at this point, peg 19 had landed, and lost, a couple of carp, so had George. The silvers weren't feeding either as Mike Bendell plucked away at small roach.
It was soon halfway through the match and I was debating if I should bog off home, but the fact I knew a run of 5 or 6 carp would be brilliant in the scheme of how things were doing, with only Beardsy on peg 13 catching, though peg 19 was on 4 or 5 carp at this point.
I then decided to mix some groundbait and get out the maggots in an attempt to blag a few skimmers, so a silvers rig was made for 2+1 off to my left.
I fished this for around an hour, while my carp lines were re-fed and rested, in this period I had a rudd, a roach, a 6oz skimmer, a perch and a hybrid before bites stopped. Thinking there was a carp present, I went over this spot with my meat and pellet rigs.....No bites!!

Across by the island I could see a few tails and the odd ghost carp moving, so I went over with the shallowed edge rig with meat on the hook....2 minutes later I had a fish on, a nice ide over over 2lb was netted, much to Mike's 'tongue-in-cheek' disgust. He also knocked a number 3 section in at this point...he never got that back!
Back out to the island and I soon had carp number 2, a 4lber. Then things went dead again.

With an hour to go it seemed that peg 13, 19 and maybe peg 2 had a few carp, oh and George was on 4 or 5 accidentals....though he had 1 carp go under his pallet, around the leg and out the other side....he landed it after a tussle....so obviously he was fishing heavy silvers gear....haha.
My meat line was giving a few bubbles, so I went back over this and had 2 carp in 2 drops. One was about 6lb and the other was a ghostie pushing 10lb.
I netted a 2lb carp soon after, foul hooked, but welcome. Another 3lber came from across before I lost a couple, possible foul hooked, from my meat line.
I wanted a couple more carp in the last 15 minutes, but they never came. Peg 19 managed 3 or 4 in the last hour to stay clear of me and I heard peg 2 was on 8 carp....Phil Beards on flyer peg 13 had around 10 or 12, so I heard through the grapevine.
I commented at this point that he'd got more silvers than anyone else on the lake, only just. But probably not enough to beat the speci lake, providing it had fished as expected.

The all out sounded and I had 6 carp in total, losing 2. Plus maybe 3lb of silvers. So maybe 35lb or just over.

I packed my kit away and went and loaded the car, most peeps had commented it had fished poor and my 6 carp was pretty good, with only Phil and John Barker on pegs 13 and 19 respectively catching upwards of 10 carp. Peg 2, Stan, had 8 carp.
I caught up with the scales and had some banter with a few guys, especially George Fletcher, he reckoned on 3 carp and 3lb of silvers....ball-cocks I said...telling him that 5 or 6 carp and 6lb+ of silvers was what he had!!
Anyways the Shaun and Ross proved that my prediction that their pegs weren't great was proved with a dnw and 7lb between them. Though Bob Pascoe had 19lb of silvers from peg 39, Rob Eagles had 16lb+ from peg 40 and Paul Berry's 12lb+ came from peg 34...those 3 weights would surely take the top 3 silvers coin.
Peg 1 dnw'd and peg 2's eight carp totted up to 30lb plus a couple pounds of silvers.
Peg 3 had 7lb 1oz of silvers, Mike Bendell had 8lb 4oz of silvers before my 6 carp weighed in at 40lb 6oz and my 4lb of silvers took me into the temporary lead.
Peg 10 dnw'd and peg 11 had 17lb (most of which was 1 carp). Next to weigh was Phil Beards on peg 13, he weighed in at 56lb 10oz.
George was next to weigh and I ribbed him on his 'Lies' (other's words, not mine)...he had a very strange 3 carp, strange in the fact most peeps don't have 3 fingers....those 5 carp weighed over 24lb.
His 3lb of silvers had surpassed his admittance and weighed 8lb 3oz....not the best silvers net on the lake.
Peg 19, John Barker, lifted his nets out, 6lb 6oz of silvers first, before he pulled his carp net up....I said it looked a few pounds different to Phil's catch but he'd had 4lb more of silvers, and it did, he tipped in 48lb 14oz, giving his a total of 55lb 4oz, putting him in 2nd spot.
He was the last to weigh, confirming my 3rd place.

Weights Sheet
So a very slow and frustrating day with the well-stocked venue switching off. But I got my money back and was again thankful of my late meat-caught carp. Here is Ross Baker's account of things:
HLS Blog...........

Results:
1st - Peg 13 : Phil Beards, 56lb 10oz
2nd - Peg 19 : John Barker, 55lb 4oz
3rd - Peg 6 : Lee Williams, 44lb 6oz

Silvers:
1st - Peg 39 : Bob Pascoe, 19lb
2nd - Peg 40 : Rob Eagles, 16lb 1oz
3rd - Peg 34 : Paul Berry, 12lb 1oz

Next up for me is likely to be Sunday, with the PSV gang, on Sedges Tile Lake.
This weather, should it stay nice and warm and settled could lead to some very decent weights (lets hope I draw well....please).

Until then, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment