Sunday 4 October 2015

PSV Match, Sedges Tile Lake, 04-10-15

Back to Sedges today, with the PSV guys. They had 3 days down at Stafford Moor last week and had a great time, even if the fishing was patchy.
You can read about it Here...

I got to the lakes, had a cuppa and had a chat with Jamie and paid my monies to Will. 19 fishing today (although Will had to put me on the list, but I am sure I booked in at the last meeting!?) we had to leave 1 peg out, that was peg 34 as it doesn't have any island/end bank chuck.
The lads were in jovial mood even if the weather wasn't, being foggy and dour, but apparently it was die to fizzle away as the day progressed.
I fancied any peg from 21 to 26 and 36 to 40. I didn't want 30..!!
The draw was made and with only 2 balls left in the bucket, I was left with 32 (Will had 29, opposite me). I wasn't best impressed, but at the same token I hoped that the lack of wind all week had helped the fish spread a bit.

The 2 main flyers, well the 2 pegs everyone would be happy with, went to Ryan Radford (in the pools this week) on peg 21. Peg 40 went to decent all round guy, Keith Ray. Both of these would surely catch a good few fish.
I waddled up to my peg to find I had Matt Taynton on peg 31, we agreed we didn't fancy this end of the lake, but there were a few fish moving in front of him, plus maybe that silvers would be a good target. On my left was Matt Williams on peg 33.

Sedges Tile Lake, peg 32
I went about sorting my kit out, this comprised of a method feeder, a full depth waggler (20m in front fed heavy) and 3 pole rigs. The 1st rig was for down my left edge (remained fishless), the 2nd rig was for under the tree to my right (fishless again) and the last rig was for 13m in front and gave me a solitary skimmer....so thats the last of my pole rigs for this blog..!!!
Baits were 6 and 8mm pellets, micros for the feeder and some meat for the short pole lines.

I began on the feeder and it took a while for me to catch a fish, in fact the 1st hour was fishless for me, though Matt on peg 31 was getting a good few small skimmers and was also getting an odd carp chucked in, mostly on the pole using soft pellets.
The 2nd hour saw me try the pole rigs, I had a skimmer out long on banded 6mm over wetted 4's but that was the last of the action here. I did manage my 1st carp, a 6lb fish landed on the method feeder.
Into the 3rd hour and Matt on peg 33 was blanking, but soon had a resident goldfish on his feeder.
Elsewhere it seemed Matt was doing the best, but could see a few fish getting caught further along my bank and my end (except Matt on p31, now on the pellet wag...he had calm waters) were struggling.
Into the 4th hour and I had my most productive spell, landing 3 more carp and losing 2 to hook pulls, again all on the feeder despite my efforts on the other lines.

The penultimate hour was soon upon us and I stuck with the feeder, it was hard work with bites not coming in any sort of regularity or to any pattern, but a couple more carp found the confines of my keepnet, one was a couple pounds the other around 8lb. I also pulled out of a squeaker carp under my rod tip. Matt was still catching on the pellet waggler, mostly in spurts of 3 or 4 fish, but that was more than anyone I could see,
The last hour proved better for most as it seem the fish began to feed, Keith Ray down on peg 40 was getting regular action, and that peg can throw up a good few better sized fish. Rich Jones on peg 35 was now getting regular carp action on meat short, this is after he'd had plenty of skimmers.
I did only manage 2 carp in this last hour, but Will Dearlove had a couple and Steve Sewell on peg 30 had a very productive spell, away from the eels, on peg 30....he had some lumpy carp which had probably pushed him up the field.

The all out sounded and I finished on 1 skimmer coupled with 8 or 9 carp. So about 30 to 35lb perhaps? As you may well know, my fish sizing on smaller 3 to 6lb carp is dire to say the least.
I packed my kit up and chatted with Matt, he said he had 70lb, I thought he had more as I'd heard splashing pretty much all day.

The scales were soon at Matt and it turned out that his 70lb, well judged, guess was spot on as he weighed a touch over that. But prior to him, the board showed Ryan was top weight from peg 21, he had 51lb+, then came a few 40lb+ nets to Will and Steve, their fish were of a decent stamp.
My turn to weigh, I had stopped using my clicker at 22lb but had 3 fish after this point. My weights including the 7oz skimmer pushed my to 54lb 5oz.
Matt Williams didnt weigh, but Rich Jones had done well with 16lb+ of skimmers, coupled with 41lb of late carp pushed him to 2nd spot, but I also knew Keith Ray's late run was going to be closed.
I went and loaded the car while the others weighed and I returned just as they were to weigh Keith. When he lifted his nets it looked very close to getting that second spot. His 2 weighs (+10oz silvers) gave him a total of 52lb 3oz and 4th spot.

Results:
1st, Matt Taynton, peg 31. 70lb 9oz
2nd, Rich Jones, peg 35. 57lb 13oz
3rd, Lee Williams, peg 32. 54lb 5oz
4th, Keith Ray, peg 40. 52lb 3oz

Rich Jones had 16lb of silvers in his net to take the best silvers net on the day but the payout was defaulted down to Pete Uzzell who had 8lb 15oz from peg 39.

Weigh Sheet.
So a spasmodic sort of day where bites were hard to come by, maybe i should have set up a soft pellet rig for the pole in the hope of a few extra silvers, but then I also pulled out of 4 carp (I think) during the match, but this often happens on the method feeder.

I have a few days off work this week, so maybe I will give Wednesday's open at Sedges a go, Tile Lake again I think. Not sure on the other days though.
Next Sunday, as it stands is a PSV match at Trinity Woodlands.

Until then, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment