Sunday 20 September 2015

A catch up blog.....

So although it has been a couple weeks since my last blog, well simply because I haven't had too much to write about.

Last Sunday (13th July) I fished with the PSV crew over at Landsend Fishery, we were on lake 3 and I managed to pluck peg 42 from the bag, not a bag peg with a nice margin, a weed/lily bed and the point of the island.
I set up a shallow rig for both up in the water and 'mugging' as a few fish were cruising but not looking right to mug. A short meat rig, a margin rig for down to my left and under my feet. Plus a depth pellet rig for against the island.

For company I had Steve Burgess on peg 44, Mark Radford on 41, Ryan Radford and Lionel Legge were on the far bank on pegs 70 and 68 respectively.


peg 42 Landsend Lake 3
The match produced only a handful of bites for me (and others), I mugged my 4 carp tight to the island, lost a carp by my feet and had 2 perch and missed a bite.....that's my 6hrs summed up.
Lionel had 4 fish in the first 40 minutes or so, then never had another all day.
Steve Burgess had 4 bites, I think, landing 2 carp.
Mark and Ryan did ok, with Ryan being more consistent in that he was getting bites, losing a few and landing a few. His old man did well in the last hour fishing down his right margin.

The winner on the day was Chris Szacaks with 55lb 8oz from p66. Steve O'Toole had 49lb+ from p58. Will Dearlove had 46lb+ from peg 50. Steve Sewell won the silvers with 12lb or so.

Weigh Sheets..
On the match lake on the same day, Tony Rixon's match was won by Craig 'Trigger' Edmunds with over 300lb....!!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This weekend has seen me fish Viaduct for the Celtic Baits match, with 55 or so fishing we were spread over Lodge, Cary and Campbell.
I fancied a day fishing for the silvers so a peg on Campbell or Lodge would be best, actually with only 2 silvers places on offer via a 'super-pool' option fishing for them on Cary wouldn't be worth it.
There were plenty of venue regulars fishing, the likes of Dan White, Roland Lucas and Roy Worth just to name three, things would be hard to pick up an envelope. A decent draw was required.

I had decided to wait until my dreaded peg 130 had come out of the tin, and thankfully it wasn't the last peg left as Ian Graham picked it with 4 tickets left..!! Phew....
I did manage a decent peg in 81, the left side of the spit on Cary, one I thought would be worth a few fish. Dan White was on 80, the other side of the spit. We both commented on the fact there seemed to be a few carp mooching around the end of the spit and we may catch a few.....yeah we shall see.!!
I also had for company Steve Tucker, behind me, on peg 119....nice peg!!

I set up a lead rod for just off the spit, a meat rig for down to the monk to my right and a (biteless) pellet rig for against the spit at 13m. I did set up a silvers rig and mixed up some groundbait for absolutely no reason!!

Cary p81 Right Side
Cary p81 Left Side (and the Monk)
At the beginning, when then sun was on the water I had plenty of fish moving around the peg, not feeding, but I was happy enough to see some present.
On the whistle I fired a few 6 and 8mm pellets towards where I would fish the lead, I cupped in some meat and hemp down to the monk and some pellets tight in by the spit.
I began on the lead but after 15 minutes I had no indications, but I noted some colouring up down by the monk, and my 1st drop in with 8mm meat saw me connect to a carp, which was around 6lb and successfully landed. That was my only carp from that spot all day, the only fish I had from there were a couple of 4oz roach and a 3oz skimmer.

So other that the odd fruitless look against the spit on the pole, I stuck to the lead.
The first hour  or so did give me a few fish, only small ones by Cary sizes, averaging 7lb each. My clicker showed 52lb after the 1st hour, that was 7 carp.
The 3rd hour gave me a skimmer on the lead, nothing else.
The 4th hour gave me 2 small carp, both around 3lb each...proper Cary babies!!
Elsewhere I could see peg 66 on lodge was doing well (he was standing up to net each fish!), Mark Wynne on peg 99 was catching a few as was Steve Ayres over on peg 96(?). Campbell was quiet by it's usual standard and Tucks said he had around 50lb at this point but nobody, even Trig on peg 124, was catching regularly.

Into the 5th hour and it had really died for me, a couple roach and a lost skimmer was my tally here...oh I did land a 7lber towards the back end of that hour, and it was at this point that I could see Norm Sterry on peg 86 beginning to hook a few lumps and I counted 8 landed by the all out.
Roy Worth was now up and running and looked to be doing well from peg 100. Over on Campbell I could see Trig starting to catch a few on his short line, and Tucks was picking up a few with better regularity.
The last hour arrived and I had clicked 60lb on my 1st net and I had 1 fish in the second net at this point. By this last period was better for me as I got another 5 carp in the net (one was 3lb) but again I didn't have any of the Cary lumps, I don't think I had a double all day, which is odd for Cary (standard for me). I only lost one fish all day, that was last chuck, when the carp found a floating branch from the willows, the fish transferred the hook.
I ended on 15 carp (three 3lbers included) and a handful of accidental silvers.

I packed my kit up and waited for the scale. My section was being led by Nick Chedzoy with 125lb, he only had a handful of fish but they came late on and were generally mid-doubles!!
Dan's fish from peg 81 weighed a touch over 93lb before my fish (inc 5lb of silvers) weighed a total of 103lb 2oz for 2nd in section.
I let the scales carry on their way before loading my car and catching up with the scales at peg 97. A look at the board showed Norm's 8 fish weighed 94lb..!! Steve Ayres had 103lb 7oz, again big fish.
Roy Worth had 97lb or so before Mark Wynne had 128lb 14oz.

Back at the hut and the weights showed that Lodge had dominated with 3 of the top 5 nets and the 2 best silvers weights. It had fished ok generally with plenty of weights upwards of 90lb.

Results:
1st, Lodge peg 66, Paul Clayton. 184lb
2nd, Lodge peg 62, Paul Elmes. 163lb 12oz
3rd, Campbell peg 124, Craig 'Trigger' Edmunds. 147lb 5oz
4th, Cary peg 99, Mark Wynne. 128lb 14oz
5th, Lodge peg 57, Rob Wiltshire. 126lb 10oz

Silvers
1st, Lodge peg 69, Nick Ewers. 47lb 10oz
2nd, Lodge peg 70, Nigel Bartlett. 46lb 6oz.

So I had a day where the fish moved out with the sun and after the first hour it was a struggle, but I was happy with my efforts!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I had a Pawlett match on the River Huntspill, a bit different to Saturday.
We had 27 or 28 fishing, so a really good turnout.
A bit of chatter and piss taking ensued before the draw, a peg towards the far end heading to Woolavington (pegs 128 to 132 please!!). I picked the 4th last ticket and found peg 146 in my hand, not the best but you never know.
So after we 'team-worked' people's kit over the gate we made our way to our pegs.
I arrived to a nice looking peg, but then most look decent on the 'Spill.

Huntspill, With Grove, peg 146
I had some marginal weed plus plenty of floating weed and duckweed in my peg pretty much all day.
For company I had Sandra on peg 147 and a newcomer on peg 145 in the form of Nigel(?)Venning.
I set about mixing up a good deal of groundbait before I began on my tackle.
I set up 2 pole rigs, the 1st for just past the weed at 11m, a 4x12 Carpa Chimp on 0.12>0.08>B511 size 20. The second was on the same line/hooks but for 14.5m in slightly deeper water using a 4x16 float.
A feeder rod was put up for 3/4 of the way over and a waggler rod were also put together.
Bait was 2 pints of each hemp, maggot and caster, plus I had 1/2kg of worm and nearly 5kg of groundbait.

The day started off sunny with no wind, but it was soon to cloud over and a small awkward breeze picked up and it looked rather 'breamy'.
At the all-in I cupped 6 balls of groundbait containing chopped worm and caster on my long line, while a small helping of maggot and hemp went in just past the weed.
I began on the feeder and soon had a 1oz roach followed by it's twin.
That was it for a while before a look on the waggler only gave me another roach, but it didn't seem right so I chucked that rod back up the bank for a while.
Back on the feeder and things were slow, I did manage a couple baby perch over the rest of the first hour before a tangle to the feeder saw me try the waggler again, but I suffered a tangle on this !!! Gggrr I was annoyed, so I fixed the feeder and lobbed it out while I sorted the float out.
It was after 10 minutes that I had a proper wrap round on double worm, bonus I thought immediately......it wasn't, it was infact a perch that probably weighed the same as the bait it was caught on!!

I spent the next  hour mostly fishing the feeder and at 11:30 I bagged a 6oz perch followed by a 12oz skimmer, which was handy.
It was soon 12 o'clock and I took a walk down to peg 145 to find he'd only had 6 or 7 small fish, heading back up to Sandra, Phil 'fester' Hembury and Eric Fouracre it seemed very slow, Sandra only had half a dozen small fish, Fester had a bream and a couple perch. Eric had a couple small perch or roach.
Bag to my swim and I gave the pole line a go, a look on the shorter line by the weed never gave a bite, it never gave me a bite all day. Out to 14.5m and I happened upon 3 perch of 3oz each before 5 or 6 roach of a similar size were soon in my keepnet.
It was now 1:00 and I guess I had about 2lb. Back onto the feeder and a couple roach of 1oz each were succumbed by my half worm hookbait.
Onto the pole again and another flurry of roach and a 4oz skimmer were a welcome addition.
Then it died on all lines, the last couple of hours were spent faffing on different methods and hookbaits. I only managed a solitary rudd on the waggler and a roach on the pole in the last minute were had in the last 120 minutes.

The all-out was called and I began to pack up, several peeps had not weighed in, but noises had filtered down that the pegs towards Woolavington had given nice weights of skimmers and bream, but the closer to the bridge you were the less you caught.
On my side of the bridge I was told that Phil Clapp and Rob Dodd had around 7lb each (their words), Eric had snared a bream with 15 minutes left. Other than that the first couple of pegs by the bridge both reckoned on 3.5lb each.

I loaded the car and  waited for the scales, when they arrived I saw a couple 20lb+ nets, a couple of 14lb+ and a couple between 7 and 10lb, all before a few dnw's!!
The first couple pegs on my side of the bridge had ounces over 4lb each, then a couple dnw's before my silvers I guessed at 2 to 3lb actually weighed 5lb 1oz, which was pretty good considering,
Sandra never weighed before Fester, Eric Fouracre and Dave Nash had 3lb 2oz, 4lb 7oz and 4lb 1oz respectively.
Mark Hembury dnw'd then came Phil Clapp and he put 9lb 4oz on the sheet, Rob Dodd never had that much and he had to settle for 2nd in section with 8lb 3oz, relegating me to 3rd in section.
Oh and Nigel Hull wanted to put his 2 perch on the scales and in doing so had 3oz.

So a day of effort, but I enjoyed it better than some recent days, but my decent skimmer or bream never arrived. But it was good to be back on a natural venue.

Results:
1st, Derek Beard on peg 128 with 24lb 4oz
2nd, Brian Gatis on peg 133 with 20lb 10oz
3rd, Keith Clapp on peg 129 with 14lb 6oz

Sections went to John Dursley on p131 with 14lb 1oz and Phil Clapp's 9lb 4oz from peg 152.

Weigh Sheet.
 

So that was my last week or so, varied, some enjoyable bits, some less so.
Not sure where I am next weekend yet as my diary is empty.

Until then, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment