Tuesday 17 June 2014

PSV Match, Viaduct Campbell, 15/06/14

Sunday saw 15 of us fishing the usually prolific Campbell lake at Viaduct fishery, with plenty of fish to go at, plus a decent amount of space some good weights were expected!!
These were put to the sword as the fish were well into spawning mode, and had been for a few days, well for around a month really, as they'd tried a few weeks ago with no success.

Anyways, the payouts on the day would be 2 sections with 2 in each getting envelopes, no silvers pot.....which is what I had planned on doing!! The sections were simply ends of lake pegs and middle of lake pegs as the ends had been a lot better recently than the middle pegs.

I arrived 10 mins before the draw and gave Will the money as Steve Burgess was staying at home trying to encourage more fathers day gifts from the unsuspecting....I doubt it worked. He was abducted by aliens though over the weekend, but these visitors from far away had to test him but all the responses they got were words like Sausage, Chorizo and Alcohol......a welcoming planet we are no doubt!!

Back to the match, I had decided on pegs 123 or 125 for some silvers, but as we had pots only for carp, 110, 111, 118 and 119 were preferred. I managed 112, a peg I had fished before.
I had Keith Ray on 111 to my left, Mark Radford opposite on 129. To my right I had Brian Shanks on peg 115 and 114 was Ron Hardiman. Young Ryan Radford was on peg 110.

Peg 112, Viaduct Campbell.


For bait I had 8mm meat, paste, 8mm and 6mm pellets and some hemp.
Rigs were a shallow pellet rig for 14m in front, a rig for down to my left and a rig for paste/meat to be fished at 6m and 14m.

At the all in I started shallow and it took me 20 minutes for a bite, a fish of around 14lb was foul hooked in the belly and fell off before netting....a few more hooked and lost foul hooked fish followed over the first 2 hours, netting zero. It was tough for a lot of us, but Mark Radford was doing quite well on the paste and looked miles ahead. But that was all I could see except the odd fish being netted. Plus we had the amusing Adam Caswell (p128) getting himself in his usual ways of playing fish for an age before losing them.....at one point during the day he called Mark along to hold his pole so he could venture onto the end of the spit to un-connect his rig, which was dumped unceremoniously by a carp....he really does brighten everyone's day.

Back to the fishing, well there isn't much to write about, I had my 1st fish after 2 hours on the shallow rig, then over the next 4 hours I managed to land another 7 carp (3 shallow, 1 mugged, 2 from the edge and 1 at 6m on meat). I did catch a bream and a tench both between 3 and 4lb each and a couple other silvers. I really couldn't get much happening. So it seemed could most of the others.
Ray on peg 111 was getting a run of hooked fish, he was losing a few foulers too on meat or corn, but he was doing ok. Mark had continued catching ok through the match. Adam had slowed somewhat from his margin and had resorted to fishing short in front.
Brian and  Ron  were also bagging the odd fish, but it wasn't great. Ryan was also getting through rigs and hooklengths on peg 110, but by the end of the match he had around 11 carp, mostly the smaller commons that tend to hug the bramble pegs on the lake.

By the time the all out sounded it was clear that I wasn't going to pick up any money and I guessed my weigh of carp to be around 35lb plus my silvers.
I thought Ray had 80lb+ and Ryan the same, but he insisted he had maybe 50lb.

I packed my kit away and waited for the scales, which weren't too long arriving, Steve and the fishery really are efficient.
By the time they got to me I could see from a quick glance at the sheet that Mark Radford had about 85lb, Chris Szakacs had a few fish shallow(I think) for 61lb. There was a 128lb net, which later was adjudged not to count as it was mostly had on a running method feeder with 12" hooklength (method is banned). A 106lb weight and Shanksy had 77lb.
My nets combined weighed 51lb 9oz . But wasn't last, it was ok in the scheme of things.
Keith weighed 82lb and Ryan's weight was similar to mine.

FULL RESULT (thanks Chris)

A SECTION

1ST   RON HARDIMAN       106LB 0OZ     PEG 114
2ND  MARK RADFORD        84LB  2OZ             129
3RD  KEITH RAY                   82LB  5OZ             111
4TH  COLIN BUTLER           73LB   2OZ             132
5TH  ADAM CASWELL        64LB  11OZ            128
6TH  RYAN RADFORD         52LB  3OZ             110
7TH  LEE WILLIAMS            51LB  9OZ             112
8TH  PETE UZZEL                 39LB  3OZ             130

B SECTION

1ST ANDY GAY                   128LB 0OZ              118 DQ
2ND BRIAN SHANKS           77LB 8OZ              115
3RD CHRIS SZAKACS          61LB 6OZ              125
4TH ALAN HEALY               50LB 3OZ               123
5TH WILL DEARLOVE        41LB 9OZ               126
6TH  MIKE WELLING          33LB 5OZ               119

AND ONE DNW


So a difficult day, I am getting peeved with the fish not feeding right due to failed spawing methinks, but plenty of other guys feel the same. Lets hope that the last week had seen them clear the systems and the fishing settle down and the fish spread better.

Next up for me is the Maver Match This qualifier at Viaduct on Saturday, this looks like a sell out 120 pegger.
Sunday sees me up at Plantation's Horseshoe lake, I haven't fished that since last summer's Clevedon FWAC's summer series. It can be tricky on there. But I am looking forward to it.

Until next time, tight lines.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment