Sunday 1 June 2014

PSV Match, Shiplate Hawthorn Lake, 01/06/14

Today was going to be a decent day, nice weather and some fish caught.
Well that's what I had hoped. Alas it never turned out that way.

I arrived in due course for the draw and paid my monies along with 10 others.
I drew peg 11, meant nothing to me as I have never fished Hawthorn lake on the complex. Pegs 1, 15, 9 and 10 were the 'wanted' hotspots.

I arrived at my peg, set up 5 rigs. A couple for 2/3rds of the way across (one banded, one not), 1 for down to my left margin sort of area to fish hemp/meat, a rig fro up the far shelf amongst the grass and lastly a shallow rig for up in the water with banded 6's.

To cut a boring story short I had 1 carp and a perch in the 1st half hour fishing maggot against the grasses at 13m. Then I missed a bite and lost a foul hooked fish, all within the first 45 minutes.
That was my action for the next 5 hours, I never had a bite of note, even after switching to fishing for silvers on a size 20 to 0.10. They even didn't want to know.
At 1pm I was tempted to go home/elsewhere, but I stuck at it and was rewarded by 4 carp in the last hour, 2 on the shallow rig fished at 6m and 2 from my edge swim on meat. My total of 21lb 2oz wasn't last by virtue of 2 anglers who didn't weigh in.

The clear winner was Brian Shanks with 100lb or so from peg one, 2nd was Mark Radford with around 70lb (I think) on peg 9, the silvers was won by Ryan Radford from peg 15 with 5lb of mostly chub.
There were a few weights between 30 and 50lb. But it was tricky for most.

Next up for me is Pawlett's All Winners Final at Trinity Woodlands next Sunday.

Until then Take Care.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment