Sunday 29 June 2014

Acorn Paddock, CFWAC Saturday Knock-Up, 28/6/14

At 8am on Saturday I had to make a choice, shopping with the family or fish a match somewhere.
Now I wasn't super keen on either to be honest, but the fishing won. I decided to pick Clevedon's Saturday open on Acorn Fishery's Paddock lake.

I arrived for the 8:45 draw with 15 mins to spare and paid Rob my money, we had 9 fishing, which does seem around the norm for these matches, maybe they'll pick up with the weights going un the right direction. But Saturdays are a work day for most, so we shall have to see.
We had a couple guys who hadn't fished here before fishing along with Gabrial Skarba, fellow blogger Dom Sullivan, Lee Waller and a couple others.

Well the draw was made and I picked 26, wrong end of the lake, I had Dom on peg 24 and Lee Waller over on p28. No silvers payout, so it'd be carp required, which would be a tall test against the bridge pegs and the higher numbers. Now I have fished this lake 4 times now, drawn 26 three times and 27 once....perhaps one day I will land on fish!!
Acorn Paddock peg 26

I set up 4 rigs, one for my left hand margin, one for 7m in front where I had 4 or 5ft of water, a rig for tight up against the far bank in the 1pm direction. Lastly I had a shallow rig set around 12" deep for anywhere I fancied.
The all in sounded and I cupped some went 4's at 7m with the intention of fishing 6mm expander over the top, some corn and pellet went in at a couple spots along my left hand margin, then some 6's and 4's went tight over.

I began over and it took me 20 minutes to get a small carp of 1lb, I spent the next hour trying to pick up the odd fish, which I did, but it was slow. After 90 mins I had 4 small carp in the net.
Dom on p24 had a few fish and Brian Hadley on bridge peg 22 had done well up to this point.

The next hour for me was spent picking the odd small carp up from tight over, but by now my 7m line had a decent level of fizz. I was way behind Dom, Brian and the guy I could see on p32. He'd been bagging all match at this point.
A look over the 7m line with 6mm expander on the hook, the float went under right away and a skimmer was netted, another soon followed before a carp turned up. It then died, so a look down the edge at 7m gave me a 4lb carp immediately. Annoyingly the ducks figured out where my bait was and they kept turning up to trash that peg, but despite me trying a few times my edge never gave me another fish.

It was soon the last hour and I reckoned on 20lb being in my nets plus a couple pounds of silvers. Dom must have been approaching the 100lb mark and Brian looked like he'd passed it comfortably.
I spent the last hour fishing at 7m, picking up the odd skimmer and carp, plus I managed 2 mugged fish of 3lb each.

The all out sounded and I began to pack away. Lee Waller had left an hour previous having not had much, except a bad day, worse than mine!!
I reckoned that the guy over on p32 and Brian by the bridge p22 would win, but I couldn't see the upper 30's pegs. Dom was going to be close too.

I followed the scales that saw venue regular, Gabrial Skarba, put a net restricted 110lb 14oz on the scales, a 30lb net followed and then we came to one of the 'newbies' on peg 36, Chris Cameron, put 130lb 6oz on the board to take the lead. We then had a 50lb weight followed by a 131lb 12oz weight from Lee Pesticcio.
The scales then made their way to me, obviously missing out Lee Waller's now empty peg 28.
I was next to weigh, my silvers went 10lb (poss best on the day?) and carp 33lb or so, my total was just over 43lb.

Dominic's nets went 96lb 6oz, a good weight from that peg for sure. Last up was Brian Hadley who pushed himself into 3rd, one off the money, with a decent weight of 128lb 8oz. He was cock on with his clickers(if he used them) as his 1st net was 68lb and his 2nd was bang on the 70lb limit. Plus he had 8oz of silvers.

Results
1st, Lee Pesticciom, p32, 131lb 12oz
2nd, Chris Cameron, p36, 130lb 6oz
3rd, Brian Hadley, p22, 128lb 8oz

So it was an ok match, but if I go again, I do plan on not drawing anything between 24 and 30.....
But it is a venue that I reckon I could do ok on if I get the chance to fish it more.

Until next time, Take Care.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment