Monday 3 April 2017

Summerhayes Rover, 2-4-17 (plus Viaduct Fisho...)

I will start off with my very brief summary of the April Fool's Fisho qualifier.
I drew peg 62, not a great draw by all accounts but maybe a chance of some late meat fish, but with 61 and 63 in it wasn't a convincing outlook. I spent 10 minutes debating whether to bother fishing, but I decided to spend 300 minutes in pursuit of a pipe dream.

Lodge lake peg 62
300 minutes later, no carp, plenty of silvers and some wet gear, I was soon heading home.
Will done to Bob Giles who won, only just, ahead of Lee Farmer and the man-in-form Craig 'trig' Edmunds.

Onto today, I decided, well as a family we decided, that I should go fishing, so I ventured back to Summerhayes for their open, a rover format match this week, draw the order you choose your peg in.
I arrived to be greeted by Gareth Lennox and Glynn Wickham. I said hellos to the rest of the guys, paid my pools and collected 3 nets not just 2.
A quickish wander around the complex with Gareth and I quizzed him on a few of the pegs etc as he has fished here a lot more than my half a dozen or so times.

Onto the draw, I pulled 12 which meant I was second last in choosing my peg. I fancied peg 11 on Sellicks, maybe peg 9. Peg 6 and peg 12 on Longs were my 2 choices on that lake, but as it turned out Martin Addicot and Bill Hopping chose 12 and 14 on Sellicks, which to me meant I would go elsewhere. So when it came to my turn I said Lily peg 4. Chris Boulton won the midweek match from peg 9 on the lake, but they are moving fish out of here into Sellicks and Longs as they are joining Perch Pit and Lily together to form a bigger Speci carp lake.
I was the only one in the match on the lake, but had 2 guys set up to my right on peg one and peg 14 (?) and then a couple of the carpers on Perch Pit behind me would fish on and off in peg 6.

Lily Peg 4 left hand edge

Lily Peg 4 right hand edge

Lily peg 4 at Summerhayes
For bait I had 6mm and 4mm pellets, 8mm meat plus some corn. I had some paste, groundbait and 8mm pellets with me, but they remained in the carryall.
4 rigs assembled all on 0.18>0.14>B911 hooks in 18 and 16's.
The 1st rig was full depth pellet rig for 14m. 2nd was a shallow/slapping/mugging rig for 6mm pellet over the same line at 14m.
The next rig was one for tight to my bank 6m down the right hand side where it was a good 3.5ft deep or more, this same rig doubled up for down to the left around 1mtr off the bank in line with the outside of peg 5. Both meat and corn used on these lines.
Lastly my usual meat rig for 2+2.

The all-in was called and I fed a big pot of 4mm pellets long and 1/2 a cup of corn and meat down the right edge and similarly down to the left before I began on the short meat line.
15 minutes passed and the 1st carp was hooked and landed, the fish in here average around 2lb so that's what I clicked.
No bites were forthcoming so half an hour in I went out long and on the depth rig, but other than baby rudd and minnows it was all quiet, a few liners and a couple foul hooked fish lost saw me on the shallow rig and soon after the 2nd carp of the day was netted, again a false dawn and other than a few foulers and missed bites it was slow going. Yet Bill Hopping up on Sellicks had been netting fish regularly.
A 3rd carp came, to the short meat line but we were nearly 2hrs in.
A look down the right edge saw a couple fish, 3lbers netted, but it was a wait for bites and it was a similar story down the left, but I kept plugging away and binned the long pellet lines.

Hoping to force the issue a bit more I started to feed the short meat line a bit heavier and started pinging pellets tight to the near bank to the left where I had spotted a fish or 2 slurping in the weeds.
30 minutes passed and a few more fish on the short meat line and a couple from the deeper left hand swim.
We were into the last couple of hours and my clicker showed 36lb, which was around 18 fish. But little did I know that things would at least pick up for me as I swung my shallow pellet rig 6m down to my left in the shallower water and it buried right away, then my 2nd, 3rd and 4th fish came in quick time, I fed another decent helping of pellets and went on the short meat line and another flurry of carp were added to my nets and as my 1st clicker got to 63lb I began my 2nd net and I kept popping fish in there by switching between the 2 lines.
Of the last couple of hours I couldn't get a bait in quick enough at times, especially on the short meat, I missed a few bites and foul hooked a couple. But the last 20 minutes or so saw me struggling again, only a rudd and 2 carp came in this period.

The all-out was called and from what I could see, well it was only Bill I could see properly, I was plenty behind him, though he did admit he saw me catching well late on, so perhaps his first couple hours could make a difference. My clickers showed 63lb and 62lb, though the 2nd one I was sure I had had a double click and I said to Ady I reckoned it should read 52lb not 62lb.

My gear at the car and I followed the scales from Mr Lennox on peg 23 Sellicks, he also had a quiet 2hrs at the start but then found a few willing fish and ended with 80-odd pounds, then Bill had 142lb from peg 14 on the same lake. Martin Addicott had 80-something from p12.
The scales made their way to me and my clickers were again working as my 1st net totalled 62lb 13oz and my 2nd was 53lb 5oz for a total of 116lb 2oz. I let the scales go on their way and I went and loaded the car etc.
Longs hadn't fished great for the carp with 73lb the top net off there from peg 12, but the silvers was won with 16lb+ by Mark Lehay off golden peg/draw peg 20, so he got half of the golden peg pot which gave him £55. So I managed 2nd place and a few more pennies for my sins.

Results:
1st, Bill Hopping, 142lb 15oz. p14 Sellicks
2nd, Lee Williams, 116lb 2oz. p 4 Lily
3rd, Gareth Lennox, 88lb 15oz. p23 Sellicks
4th, Martin Addicot, 82lb 14oz. p12 Sellicks

Silvers,
1st, Mark Lehay, 16lb 8oz. p20 Longs
2nd, Ady, 9lb 3oz. p36 Longs

So another enjoyable day, generally plenty of bites and no need for hauling lumps all day, which makes for a nice day in my book. If only the first couple of hours were a little more busy and I had a few more fish. Hindsight eh!!

Next weekend I am venturing to the Big One show on the Saturday before Pawlett's silvers match at Sedges, which by all accounts had switched on for carp.....the joys.

Until then, have fun,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment