Thursday 13 October 2016

White Acres Winners' Week. 13-10-16. Day Three of 3 --- Twin Oaks

A day to look forward to was my dream leading into the final match of this mini festival, a couple poor/average draws in the last 2 matches had seen me languishing nearer the bottom of the pile as opposed to the top, but with a good few venue regulars fishing the event I know I mustn't be downbeat.

Today saw my rotation falling to fish Twin Oaks, but the weights have been patchy in the previous matches, but peg 35 won the open there yesterday and the wind has been blowing in to that end of both lakes for a couple of days, so a draw in the first couple pegs on either lake would be ok as would the usual 15 and 17 on the lower lake and 21 or 23 on the top lake. The middle areas of both have been patchy but the peg to avoid looked to be peg 27, it had finished plum last in the previous matches.

In to the bag, after peg 27 had gone, I plucked peg 31, neither here nor there were my thoughts, but when I mentioned to Tony Oatley on Facebook I wanted peg 5, he showed me that's what he had. I mention also that I would catch a carp, to which he replied just one?...........
Anyways by the time our section had drawn we had around an hour to get to the lakes and set up before the all-in.

Once at my peg I could see fish in the pegs 35 and 33, F1s mostly but the odd carp were putting on a display. My peg and peg 29 didn't look at all inviting but we continued.

Peg 31, Twin Oaks.
I set up a waggler, which went unused in anger due to the wind.
A small method feeder was rigged up for fishing tight across.
A few rigs remained fishless on the pole, namely the deep and shallow pellet rigs (except losing 1 fouler on the depth rig). A meat rig for 8m went biteless also.
I set up 2 rigs, one for each edge, the right side feeding groundbait and the left just loose fed meat.

Now is the interesting bit.........It was 3.5hrs before my 1st fish, a 2lb F1 from my left edge, shortly followed by a bite and a number 4 section broken....got the fish in though, a similar sized F1 to the 1st.
A barren spell, missing the odd quick bite down the left edge, lost a foul hooked carp before a small F1 fell to the method feeder.

Elsewhere peg 29 was getting the odd F1 but had taken nearly 2hrs before his 1st fish, he said the couple of guys to his right weren't catching either. Pegs 33 and 35 had been getting plenty of action since the start and looked well set.

With maybe an hour to go I began to put a few more small F1s in the net, none of the 3lb fish that are quite common, but most between 1 and 2lb.
I fed the right edge, which was shallower than my left, with a few cups of groundbait and hoped that some of the lumpier carp move in for the remainder of the match.....
I stayed left and picked up a few F1s and with 20 minutes to go I was doing okay, too late, but I was busy. Noticing the odd swirl and colouring up of the right edge saw me drop my rig in and connect with a few more F1s.....no carp!!! Could I go the 3 matches without a proper carp? All I have had this week in the matches is 4 scales from carp....none in the net.

Into the last 5 minutes and I was on around a dozen F1s, maybe 13lb I thought. I was getting loads of indications and all so late....I did have one last fish.......a carp....yay!! I was pleased with that, sadly it was one of the smallest in the lake and probably wasn't even 2lb.
The all-out was called. Peg 27 had chucked 3 small fish back and left and one of his neighbours had struggled.
The scales had soon done the lower lake and by the time they had got to peg 29 it was Chris Kitchen winning our section with 114lb or so I think. The was a dnw (p27) and a 12lb weight, a 50lb net and then peg 29 popped 34lb 8oz on the scales.
My turn, well as I lifted my net and I had more than I thought as my guess of 15lb or so was well short of the 33lb 8oz that I actually had.
Peg 33 had mid-50lb mostly caught on a method across I believe and then peg 35 had 85lb+ of shallow caster fish, lots of nice sized F1s. I ended up 6th in section, never mind, it was the 2 end pegs at each end of the lake that took the top 4 spots in the section, the middle 4 pegs were less productive.

So I enjoyed the last 2hrs or so of the match, and I suppose in hindsight I may have had more by fishing casters or worms perhaps, I was missing loads of bites and maybe natural baits would have been better for connecting with bites, but as we don't get much in the way of F1 fishing in Somerset I have learnt a few things.
God knows where I finished, probably 40th or lower, but everyone gets a place, haha.
Not sure who won either, but will try and update that tomorrow or Saturday if I get the chance, will put the results in my next blog.

Tomorrow I venture to Bolingey, that venue can be peggy and I haven't fished more than twice (drew shite again) but I hope to get amongst some carp.....pretty please!! Oh and no meat or groundbait.....Help!!

Until then, have fun.
Lee



No comments:

Post a Comment