Sunday 16 October 2016

Pawlett Match, Shiplate Hawthorn and Westpool. 16-10-16

Hoping not to continue my now current habit of drawing pegs which I really don't fancy, so it was off to Shiplate today, only finding out last night that we didn't have the Main Lake, I was hoping for a nice day fishing for the non-carp species on the big lake......ah well. Onwards.

24 or so of us fishing today, 14 on Hawthorn and the rest over on Westpool. I wanted to be on any peg on Hawthorn from 3 to 10, these pegs have had a new breeze on them and I definitely fancied those pegs to be the most consistent. I didn't want Westpool as it had been patchy and didn't want to walk around there.

A chatter and natter with a few, and it was onto the draw. I hung back, like I usually do, and plucked peg 15 on Hawthorn. Nice enough peg, but not convinced it'd produce the good, especially with me sat at the helm....
I made my way to the peg and found I had Mr Paul Berry for company on peg 14, not that I could see him, he had Steve Fouracre next to him, so no doubt a little bit of cursing will be heard!!

Looking left from P15 Shiplate Hawthorn......bait fed ducks!!

Peg 15, Hawthorn.......looks fishy.....wasn't fishy!!
I went about sorting my kit and bait.
A shallow rig for pellets (unused in anger)
A depth banded pellet rig (unused in anger)
A banded pellet rig for a few areas across (fishless)
A rig for the left margin using meat over hemp
A silvers rig for 9m using casters and worms
A meat rig for topkit+1 slightly left

I should end my blog now as not much happened for me and I couldn't see what was occurring on the lake.
Anyways, the all-in was called and I began on the short meat line hoping for an early fish. 15 minutes later nothing had happened, 20 minutes on the pellet across line and still nothing happened. All I knew was Paul had a carp and 4 skimmers in that period and Steve had lost a couple carp and had a few skimmers.

I went out to 9m with my silvers rig and waited a while before I had a chub of 6oz, this was quickly followed by a couple crucians and another skimmer.....then nothing for a long while. I did foul hook a couple carp and missed a couple bites on meat, but my swim didn't look too active in terms of fish being present.
At the halfway stage I had yet to catch a carp, Paul hadn't had any more fish after his little burst at the start of the match.

A look down my left edge saw me hook a 1lb carp in the tail, it was landed....yay. But it was a false dawn as nothing more happened so it was back on the silvers rig, which again not much happened, it was another 20 minutes before I had a 4oz eel and a 1lb skimmer.
I was hoping the carp turn up in the last 90 minutes or hour as they often do, but hope was all that was likely.
A couple more foul hooked carp, but with no particular area standing out, at least to find an area to target. So I plodded along and not much was happening by all accounts, but rumour had it the pegs below peg 10 had been catching a few pretty regular, like I expected.

Into the last 60 minutes and I began to see a little more life in the peg and I managed a couple 6oz roach off the silvers line, plus another lost carp from here on the light kit.
I did manage 2 carp, one from the left margin, one from the short meat line and as the all out was called I was getting few liners and bubbled on the edge and short lines.

So not a great day, but I enjoyed it oddly, scratching around for bites may well help me out in the Teams-of-3 in a couple weeks
Paul Berry hadn't put any more fish in his nets, Steve had a good last 40 minutes and had added around 18lb to his tally fishing expanders across.
The scales arrived and Jamie Parkhouse had won Westpool from peg 15, which was the Golden Peg, so a nice win was on the cards.
I put 8lb 5oz on the scales for my 3 carp, my silvers weighed 7lb 12oz, giving me 16lb 1oz.
Mr Berry's solo carp was an ounce less than my 3 and he had 1lb 12oz of silvers for a 10lb total.

I didn't follow the scales and went and loaded the car, the other end of my lake were doing ok with 30 and 40lb nets reasonably common, though a few dnw's and a couple low weights were recorded.
The top silvers weight was a really nice 21lb for Derek Beards from Westpool peg 11.
Overall winner was Jamie from p15 on Westpool with 77lb 12oz, Eric Fouracre (H2) had 49lb 4oz and Brian Gatiss was 3rd with 44lb 11oz (H7)

Weights....
Not sure where I will be fishing over the coming week and next weekend.
So have a good week and stay safe,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment