Monday 4 July 2016

PSV Match. Viaduct Campbell, 05-07-16

First PSV match for a while for me today. 18 or 19 of us fishing, hoping for an abundance of action from the lake's population of carp, bream and tench. After seeing the results yesterday, the 250lb+ winning weight was reduced by around 100lb, I reckoned 140 or 150lb would be there or there-abouts.

I got there early, loaded my trolley and had a bit of chatter with a few guys before we got down to the draw, I fancied 112 up to 119, the spit pegs or at a push peg 123. With the aerator on 24/7, the fish are not always comfy in the vicinity of the thing.
Everyone drew except myself and match secretary Will Dearlove, the sheet showed my nemesis peg, peg 130, still having no name next to it, or 110 and 111. So I got or guest for the day, expert angler, the one who won the Saturday open, Scott Russell, to confirm the last 2 pegs.
They were 110 and 111. So me and Will were happy enough, especially Will who had 111, the winning peg from Saturday. I had peg 110.

Campbell peg 110 (didn't go left, so no pic taken)

Plenty of time to sort tackle and bait out for the day, bait was simple. 8mm and 6mm pellets, 8mm meat and some various pellets for in the band. I did chop up some worms for silvers, but only for Will's benefit when I told him I was deliberating fishing for non-carp species!! A lead rod for various spot around the peg, an edge rig for 2+1 both sides, this gave me 1 carp off the stump to my left. and a meat rig for 10 o'clock direction and in front at 7m or so, this rig would actually do for anywhere in the peg as it was the same depth within an inch. Lastly a shallow/slapping rig was put together, but went hardly fished and fishless all day. I didn't want to fish 16m down to the brambles and risk breaking or losing tackle, so that section stayed in the holdall to starve off temptation.

The 10am all in was called and I began on the short meat line, but nothing really happened, only 2 very small carp and a skimmer in the 1st hour. Meanwhile Ade Crawley had drawn yet another flyer and was picking a few lumpy carp down to his left. The second hour saw me add a few bits on the short meat lines and a solitary 2lb carp on the meat line in the 10 o'clock direction.

A short burst of 3 fish on the lead in the third hour gave me false hope, especially as they all were only 2 to 4lb fish, none of the 6 or 7lb+ average fish. Will on peg 111 was doing similarly to me, he also had a 4 fish burst on the lead at the same time as me. Meanwhile over on the pegs below the spit, Scotty Russell on p132 was getting a few smaller carp from various spots of his peg and Alan Healey on peg 130 was getting a better stamp on the lead cast in the vicinity of the aerator, the pegs above the spit were struggling on that side.

Into the 4th hour and things picked up a little for me as I was tempting the odd carp and flying skimmer from my meat lines, not hectic but a few fish, maybe 5 in the hour, but again all around the 2 to 4lb mark. Will had started to slow down, but the fish he did land were a darn sight larger than mine. My clicker showed that I had around 40lb total, this was in the region of 13 carp at the end of that hour.
The 5th hour actually went quite well in the main, I was getting a fish, or at least a bite, on the meat pretty much each drop, although I was landing a few it seemed foul hookers were defo a problem, they would come to the feed and not really settle on it, but news came down that all the pegs above Ade on 112 had been catching quite well all day and a last chance come back was not really on the cards.

The last hour came and went, I was thinking it would be quite a good hour with the 5th hour being decent. It never happened as it slowed down for me, Will and Ade on peg 112. I could see a few fish down by the brambles to my left, I couldn't cast my lead there due to the trees and I really didn't fancy shipping out 16m to get close to them. So I stuck with the meat and only put a couple in the net and my second clicker showed 48lb. So maybe I ended with 80lb and perhaps 10lb of silvers.

The all out was called and I packed up pretty sharpish, loaded the car and waited for the scales. I spoke to Will, whom I was certain had plenty more than me as his fish later in the day were of at least average sized fish or bigger, we were certain Ade had near 200lb as it seems he had been catching Cary sized fish all day and he even afforded to tip back a good double figures of silver away to cater for his carp. Turns out it seems that he plays his fish for around 20 minutes each and was miles off 200lb.

Opposite me was Scott and Alan who both looked like heading for a similar weight to each other, though it turned out that Alan chucked back a nice skimmer on lost out on the section to Scott because of this....gert wally!! Anyways I was last to weigh and looked at the sheets to see that 119 back to 112 had done well with Ryan Radford winning the match at Chris Szcakas in 2nd spot, Ade snuck in to 3rd as he 'only' had 114lb or so. Will had 60-something pound which was well short of my guess but closer to his, so well done him. My silvers were 9lb 14oz and my 2 nets went 40lb and 50lb plus ounces. Ending with 100lb 12oz, slightly over my 80lb of carp that my clickers showed, but closer than is my norm. I ended up 8th with this.

Results:
1, Ryan Radford (118) 144-5 (mostly shallow)
2, Chris Szakacs (116) 142-2 (mostly edge fish)
3, Ade Crawley (112) 114-12 (mostly edge fish)
4, Mark Radford (115) 111-3
5, Scott Russell (132) 106-4
6, Alan Healey (130) 105-9
7, Steve Burgess (119) 103-2
8, Lee Williams (110) 100-12
9, Adam Caswell (125) 88-10
10, Steve Sewell (128) 88-2
11, Pete Uzzell (114) 86-6
12, Will Dearlove (111) 65-6
13, Ross Sewell (126) 63-11
14, Matt Powell (129) 55-0
15, Paul Preston (124) 46-0
16, Matt Williams (123) 45-8
17, Lee Waller (127) 39-14

Silvers:
1. Matt Williams (123) 20-7
2. Lee Waller (127) 15-8
3. Chris Szakacs (116) 13-13

Weights
So an average day really with the lake fishing hard, well hard for the lake, but this made for a close match throughout. Maybe I should have fish long down to my left and the bramble, but risking a broken pole or at least a day of tug-o-war isn't my idea of fun, I am sure I would have had a good few more fish but I quite enjoyed doing what I was doing and probably pulled out of or foul hooked enough carp to get in the top 3, but it seems most of us struggled on that front.

So as I have this week off, I think I may well go fishing, well fishing a couple times.
Tuesday I may venture to Acorn for the 1st time in around a year.
Wednesday I should go to Durleigh as I am up there on Sunday for the Pawlett Club's Silvers final (feeder? whip? feeder? whip? hmmmm), then on Thursday I am unsure of where to take myself although Viaduct has an open on Lodge and Match Lake.
Friday I shall rest and on Saturday I have my 3rd round of my Series on Sedges Brick lake.

Until then, have fun!! Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment