Thursday 7 April 2016

Shiplate Costcutter, Main Lake, 07-04-16

A toss up as what to do today, I was going fishing yesterday, but couldn't be arsed, but I wanted to go today, I did contemplate Viaduct, but then Jonny Page told me of a match on the Main lake at Shiplate, I really enjoy that lake, although I do need to learn some of it's moods and how the carp feed away from the edges...I booked in without hesitation. I really fancied a day fishing for the silvers and my bait was mostly geared up for them......groundbait and corn!!

I had the beloved wife with me today, she doesn't get out much, obviously, and fancied watching an 'exciting'  match. On the way over I told her that I fancied anywhere from peg 7 round to peg 12 or 13 as there would be a ripple and the new wind may well have shuffled the carp away from pegs 1 and the more favoured peg 15. That's what happened the last time I fished there, a northerly pushing the fish down the lake.
After arriving for the 10am draw, which happened at 9:40, I chatted to a few guys, 11 were fishing, before dipping in for my peg, Steve had put 1 and 7 on the near side of the lake in and the rest of the pegs would be from 9a up to 15. I put my hand in an pulled 2 stuck together so dropped one back, I was left with peg 15. Generally seen as a flyer, or rather THE flyer, but I wasn't too confident, expecting the carp to be mid-lake or further down. But none the less, it was a carp peg I would be sat on, but I have won a silvers pool from this peg in the past.

I slowly made my way round, my back is being an arse and has been painful for about 2.5 weeks now.
I went about sorting my kit, I didn't want to faff much, so I set up a method feeder and a couple pole rigs. The 1st rig was for 6m in front using corn over maggots and a little micro, this rig would do for 13m in front using corn over 6mm pellets. The same rig also did for the same distances and baits along my left edge (ish), though it was a float's length shallower. So I marked everything up.
The 2nd rig was simply for down by a tree to my left in the margins using corn over 6mm's.
I never set up a silvers rig..........poor decision in hindsight.
Bait was robin red pellets and micros for the method feeder, corn, maggots, micros and 6mm pellets for the pole lines.

Peg 15 r.h.s

Peg 15, l.h.s and feeder area

At the 11am all-in I fed the various pole lines before chucking the method feeder out, 30 mins later I had a 5lber in the net, I thought the fish may have turned up.......Wrong.
After 2hrs I tried the pole, I was miles behind Titch Williams and Jon Page further down, they'd had a few carp as had Tom Downing on peg 14B, though he was catching loads of skimmers on the pole using 6mm pellets, he said they were accidentals.
A look down the edge to my left at 13m (painful....bloody back) saw me have a little indication, which is more than I had at 13m in front all day, but that knock on the float never developed, so I came in to 6m down the same edge. I had a bite right away and my 2nd fish, a 1lb tench was netted. 20 minutes later a 5lb carp from the same spot was in the keepnet. I died again and I was getting bored. I was cursing not setting up a silvers rig, but my back was being a pain and didn't fancy the effort (bad angling....nah....common sense, haha).
Back out on the feeder and it was about an hour or so later I lost a fish, but on inspection I had some old line on the hook, so maybe a 'trail-er'? I had another chance at around 2pm and landed my 3rd carp, another 5lb fish was in the keepnet.
Another look on the pole lines, the right edge gave me a slight knock, it never turned into a bite, so I looked in front, only the 6m line gave me a couple skimmers before re-feeding and looking short down the left edge, my 4th tench of 1lb or so was netted.

Further along Titch and Jonny were doing well, and the wife had told me Tom Light on peg 9a had landed a few skimmers and carp. Tom Downing was bagging away on the skimmer and odd carp from slapping tactics. Pegs 1 and 7 didn't look like they had landed much at all.

It was now 4pm and an hour left, at this point I had 3 carp for 15lb or so, 3 skimmers, 4 tench at 12oz-1lb each and a roach. A look down my left edge saw the elastic heading out into the lake before I even noticed the float gone!! But a nice 10lber was in the keepnet after a spirited scrap. The next drop saw the float stay still.
A look short down the left so a quick bite and I promptly bought back a 3 inch long scale, ooopps.
That was my last bite from that edge for the day.
With half hour to go I managed a nice 3lb tench on the 6m line in front, plus a couple skimmers, before a final look down the left edge with 20 minutes to go, a short jab on the float saw my strike into my 5th and last carp, a nice 6lb fish, moving my clicker to 30lb.
That was my action done for the day. 5 carp, 5 skimmers, 5 tench and a roach.

I packed up before Steve arrived to the scales...I plonked 11lb 9oz of silvers on the scales, my 5 carp added 35lb 4oz. 46lb 13oz was my total. I reckon I could have had that in silvers had I fished for them.....oh the hindsight.!!
Tom Downing weighed 24lb+ of silvers, both me and him thought he had 30lb or so of those. He also had 39lb 8oz of carp. His total was 64lb 2oz.

I never followed the scales from then on, I packed my gear away before making my way back to load the car. As I passed Titch and Jonny Page, they said they had 80lb and 70-odd pounds respectively.
I didn't find out what else was caught until the car was loaded and monies dished out.

Results:
1st, Titch Williams, 84-14, peg 13a.
2nd, Jonny Page, 70-03, peg 13.
3rd, Tom Downing, 64-02, peg 14b he also won the silvers pool with 24lb 10oz.
4th, Tom Light, 62-15, peg 9a.
5th, Lee Williams, 46-13, peg 15.

Weights

So a frustrating day, but as expected, I wasn't too sure on peg 15, but I am certain that I could have had 30-40lb of silvers had I fished properly for them. But the carp, at this time of year, tend to move around a lot with the winds, which it looked like had happened with them hanging around a bit further down the lake in the ripple/waves.

Next up for me is the Viaduct and Saturday's Fishomania Qualifier before Sunday see's me on a silvers match at Sedges. A couple of nice draws, where short pole tactics are best, would suit me and my back at the moment.

Until Then, Take Care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment