Sunday 17 April 2016

Psv Match. Sedges Brick Lake, 17-04-16

A shorter blog today, I hope, as not much happened for me, and a few others.
I arrived early so had a cuppa, chatted to a few guys, some of whom were fishing Tile Lake for the fishery's Top Two Series. 19 of us would be on Brick Lake.

I fancied, for the carp, pegs 9, 10, 11, 12 and maybe peg 20. The silvers, which would be my preference, would be pegs 3 to 7 and 13 and 14. The weather yesterday (Saturday) was cooled by a north-easterly wind and today looked to have a northerly, swirling wind,  but really sunny and may well affect the silvers fishing.

I drew with 4 pegs left in the basket and pulled peg 16, not ideal for either carp or silvers, I felt it was neither far enough towards either end for the fish that have followed or backed off the wind over the last 2 days.
For company I had Adam Caswell on peg 17, he want a quid side bet, and Ryan Radford on peg 15, he'd decided to go into the pools for a change given he has done well this year so far.

I set up 2 silvers rigs, one for 14m in front for maggot over a bit of groundbait and a 0.2g topkit rig for down each side using caster over caster.
3 carp rigs were assembled, a meat at 2+2 rig, a rig for shallow fishing and a rig for 2+2 to my right just up the margin shelf. All 3 of these rigs never caught anything so no more on them.
Lastly I assembled a pellet waggler.
Bait was 6 and 8mm pellets, meat, dead maggots, caster and some groundbait.

Peg 16 Sedges Brick Lake

At the all in I fed the pole lines and began on the waggler. My 1st carp was lost after 20 minutes, I think it was foul hooked. I landed my second fish, a 6lb mirror.
It then went quiet and the remainder of the first hour was fishless for me. Elsewhere pegs 8, 9, 10 and 11 were catching carp, also Steve Burgess on peg 14 was getting a few on the pellet waggler.
My 1st drop on the long pole line, with skimmers the target, saw me net a 1lb fish right away, this was a false dawn as I never had a fish on this the rest of the day....!!
The second hour saw me lose a couple more foul hookers and I got broke and got out my spare pellet waggler set up. I managed a couple more carp and a couple silvers on the topkit down the edge.

That was my day as the last 4hrs saw me not have a fish. I saw Rich Jones weigh in a 24lb carp caught shallow on the pole at 9m from peg 13. Steve Burgess on peg 14 caught a few more on the waggler while pegs 9 and 10 carried on catching a few.
Late on peg one, Steve Sewell, managed a few as did Steve O'Toole and Keith Ray on pegs 3 and 8 respectively. On my side, at my end, only Will Dearlove was catching a few, again on the pellet waggler.

At the all-out a few of us had more or less packed away so done the weigh in, beginning at peg 20 back round to peg 1.
I wont bore you with the weights, but on the pegs 11 to 20 we had Rich Jones, Steve Burgess and Will Dearlove passed the 60lb mark.
Pegs 10 back to 1 saw Mat Williams, Keith Ray, Chris Szakacs all pass the 60lb mark.
Silvers weights, well they didn't excite with 16lb or so being top and 9lb-ish second best.

Results:
1st, Rich Jones, peg 13, 108lb 4oz (10 carp to 24lb)
2nd, Keith Ray, peg 8, 95lb 11oz
3rd, Mat Williams, peg 10, 90lb 12oz
4th, Chris Szakacs, peg 9, 80lb 1oz
5th, Steve Burgess, peg 14, 72lb 10oz.

Silvers:
1st, Steve O'Toole, peg 3, 16lb 10oz
2nd, Chris Szakacs, peg 9, 9lb 12oz
3rd, Mark and Ryan Radford, plus John Bradford all had 8lb 6oz.

Weights...

So a less than exciting day on the bank, not much to dwell on and onwards to the next match.
Next Sunday I am on Apex Lake with the Pawlett group, so that could be a tough contest,  but I am currently looking forward to it.

On a positive note, Saturday saw me and Paul Wharton fish Walrow Lakes, the Snag pit, and we caught a few fish. Paul had a few roach and 4 or 5 bream, I ended up with 9 bream to 8lb or so and around 12lb of roach averaging 3oz, it was a bite a chuck on maggots or casters, not easy fishing and made a change to fish light gear in deep water.

Until next time, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment