Sunday 10 April 2016

Pawlett Club, Sedges Silvers Match. 10-04-16

So after yesterday's anti-climax at Viaduct, it was back to sensible fishing. The club had their annual Silvers only match at the lovely Sedges Fishery. We had all of Brick and the causeway side of Tile today for use.
With a 9am draw I got there in plenty of time so had a cuppa thanks to Denise, a bit of a chinwag with a few including a couple of new members. Ziggy Slowinski and John Fuidge, two top anglers, especially for the skimmers and other non-carp species. But both sound guys and good company.

We had a very brisk wind blowing from the east/south-east, so pegs 11 to 20  (Brick Lake) were in comfort as were most of the pegs from 40 back to 31 (Tile Lake). The pegs 1 to 10 were in the wind, especially peg 10, no doubt that's where the carp would be in numbers.
As usual I fancied anywhere from 4 up to 9, or  even better 14 down to 17 would be a comfortable choice and should produce some decent skimmers. I didn't want a corner, peg 10 would be carp city, 11 usually holds plenty while 1 and 20 can have their days. Generally though the middles are a safe bet. I didn't want to draw Tile, I cant catch silvers from that lake!!

Anyways, back to the draw and I waited until 3 balls remained and there was only peg 10, 38 and 36 left in the basket.....ho hum. I kind of didn't fancy any, but found peg 10 in my hand. Now I have fished the venue loads over the last few years, I have never been lucky enough to get peg 10, I haven't even pleasure fished it. So I draw it on a Silvers only match.....Brilliant...Not.!
Anyways a job to do and I saw on the sheet I had a very good angler on peg 9 in Eric Fouracre, then he had Vic Bush next to him.....tough company. Behind me on Tile Lake I had veteran angler Rich Coles, he has been doing well of late and was on the good silvers peg that is peg 32, he'd be the man to beat on that lake, along with fishery owner Jamie down on peg 38.

I got to my peg and I could see carp boshing around in the waves.....hmmm.
I set about sorting my kit, 3 topkits for the pole. The 1st would do for 13m at two 45 degrees angles, the left side for expander or dead maggot over wet micros, the right side for maggot or caster over groundbait. The same rig would also do for 2+2 for meat over meat as the skimmers do like this bait.
Line was 0.14>0.10>b911f1 size 18 on a 4x18 Carpa Gent float and number 6 elastic.
The second rig was set up on the same hooks, line and laccy, except that it was a 4x14 version. This was for caster or maggot over plain dead maggots, off the bush on the end bank at 13m.
Lastly I set up a light 0.2g rig for roach and maybe the odd perch on the topkit line to my left, down wind. Line was 0.14>0.08>middy 6313 size 20 and again number 6 elastic. I would only loose feed caster here.
A open end feeder was put together with 0.14>18 b611x hook, this would be cast just past half way to the rope at around 22m. Various baits to be tried.
I also set up a bump bar, the first time in a couple years, as the wind was rather strong and blowing in at me from an angle to my right, I did need that.

Peg 10, Sedges Brick.....Carp peg on a Silvers day!!

Eric stated before the match I would expect a carpy day, I agreed, he also didn't expect to stay long as he didn't think the skimmers would be around the area in any numbers,
At the all in I cupped 2 balls of groundbait on that line, half a pot of mostly micros on that line. A pot of meat with a sprinkle of groundbait went in at 2+2. Lastly a cup of mostly dead maggots went off the tree/bush at 13m along the end bank. I also started feeding casters, 6 or so every couple of minutes to my left on the topkit line.

I began on the feeder, an hour later I had landed a couple carp and lost a couple when the hook pulled. In that hour Eric had landed a good few skimmers and I don't think he had encountered a carp. He was fishing a small groundbait feeder.
Into the second hour and I managed a small skimmer over the groundbait line on the pole, but a couple of bumped skimmers saw me switch that rig to a number 4 elastic. That proved a nice choice as a couple palm sized skimmers didn't bounce off the hook.
The second hour also saw me connect with at least 6 carp, I got most out, only lost 1 hooklength during that spell.
Elsewhere, new-comer John Fuidge on peg 14, which would have been my 1st choice, had a good few fish, mostly small skimmers, but he was doing well. Eric was up to around 15 skimmers and 2 lost carp on the feeder.

In the 3rd hour I gave up on the feeder as I had yet to catch a silver fish on it, only getting carp. So I stuck to the 2 long lines and the topkit rig. The spot by the bush was never really tried as the wind made presentation neigh on impossible, plus there were many carp shouldering along the end bank.
A couple roach on the topkit were put in the keepnet, but I continued to hook carp, even on single maggot and caster, they were taking the bait on the drop. But once I had removed the nuisance I tended to get a couple more roach. One fish I hooked belted off, I suspected a carp, but a jagged fight indicated a tench and I duly netted a 2.5lb tinca, much to the amusement of Eric, his feeder bites had slowed.
A couple carp off the long lines, one of 13lb or so were somehow netted on the number 4 elastic, I had even switched to 0.08 hooklength. How can these fish stay on and rarely break you on such light gear.....food for thought, hmmm.
Anyways I kept plugging away, picking up mostly roach and odd rudd on the topkit. Plus carp.

The forth hour was an ok one, silver fish wise, I managed a 3lb tench, a 6oz roach and a 6oz skimmer, but had more carp, landed and lost. I also managed to net a ghost/koi that I had landed in the first hour.....silly fish. My long lines had really died, well properly died as they were almost dead for the first three hours!!
John Fuidge was continuing to catch and by now Pierce on Golden Peg 15 was starting to bag-up at a rather quick rate and was surely catching up John and Eric in the weights. Behind me I had notice Rich Coles catching a few throughout the day and was doing well, though I had no idea on what size fish he was catching.

The last couple of hours were pretty much carp infested for me, I did land my 3rd tench and a couple roach, but even the roach has passed me by and Eric was picking up the odd one down to his left, though he never had any carp from his edge spot.
I did have a bit of fun playing a carp that when I got it into the edge looked upper double figured, but a protracted fight saw the common win the battle after 10 minutes when it snagged me down towards the corner, but it was all fun on light gear.
A few peeps started packing up with less than an hour to go as it was patchy and rain looked like it was due soon.

The 4:30 all out was called and I reckoned I had maybe 9lb, but I wasn't sure to be honest. Eric would have mid twenties as would John Fuidge. Pierce on peg 15 maybe had caught enough late on? Oh and Vic Bush on peg 8 had a couple nice skimmers and I reckoned on him having maybe 13lb. He had carp problems in the last hour.
I ended up landing at least 13 carp, pulled out of at least another 20, some only staying on for a few seconds as they belted off, I landed around 8 scales, all from the topkit line. I only lost 4 or 5 hooklengths all day which was a bonus/

I followed the weigh in, not too closely but saw workmate Paul Berry land 15lb or so from his peg on Tile. I then paid attention when we got up to Eric, he had 24lb 2oz to take the lead, Rich Coles pushed him closed but had 23lb 15oz. Next was me, my 3 tench and assorted bits totted up to 11lb 12oz, not too bad, especially as I didn't have any of the 1lb-2.5lb skimmers that are aplenty in this lake.
Around to the opposite bank we saw John Fuidge on peg 14 take the lead with 27lb exacty before Pierce's comeback was a touch late as he just shaded 20lb.

Back to the results and they were:

1st, John Fuidge, peg 14, 27lb
2nd, Eric Fouracre, peg 9, 24lb 2oz
3rd, Rich Coles, peg 32, 23lb 15oz
4th, Pierce Furlong, peg 15, 20lb 4oz
5th, Jamie Cook, peg 38, 17lb 2oz
6th, Paul Berry, peg 39, 15lb 12oz


Weights....

John qualifies for the Silvers final in 2017, newbies to the club usually qualify on their 1st outing, I did, James Withers did, Paul Berry did and now John.....to name a few.

So a very tough day given the conditions, but I enjoyed it, shame I had to use my 1st peg 10 draw in a silvers match!!
Back to the same venue next weekend with the PSV guys. I may even fish on Saturday, not sure if Cary at Viaduct or Landsend appeals....I shall see.

Until then, take care,

Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment