Sunday 17 January 2016

Pawlett Match, Landsend Match/Speci. 17-01-16

A very short blog today, pretty much as nothing happened.
I arrived early, and it was ok weather wise, but the cold breeze and drizzle was about to set in.
I was the 1st to arrive and was one of pretty much everyone to not remember the diversions, but plenty of time to get there for the 8am draw.....which happened at 8:30.

I fancied the end 4 pegs on Speci or anywhere from 15 to 24 on the match lake, I didn't want pegs 1 to 7 really, though yesterday saw Bob Gullick win from peg 1 and Rod Wotton had 21lb of silvers from peg 5. 4 or 5 decent carp would be a good net in the scheme of things.
I managed my further ever peg along the nearside of the match lake, peg 7. A shallow peg and I doubted whether to actually go to the peg as a day on the sofa seemed a decent idea. But I went and gave it a bash.
For company I had matey Eric Fouracre on peg 5, Neil Purchase was on peg 3 and Brian Gatiss on peg 1. The next angler to my right was up on peg 11, he had nobody on peg 13, so a nice draw there by Mark Hembury.

I set up 3 rigs, a light rig for just past the middle in three spots to fish over different baits, a rig for next to empty pegs 6 and 8 plus a rig for over near-ish to the dead reed bed on the far bank at 13m or so.
Bait was a little groundbait, micros, pinkies, maggot and corn. Plus some expanders.
It was a 9:30 draw and it was 9:40 before I was ready, I cupped in bits and bobs, literally half a dozen maggots on one line, a walnut ball of loose groundbait on another and some micros (20 odd) on the 3rd middle line. Some maggots went across and down to peg 6, 2 pieces of corn and a sprinkle of micro went by peg 8.

That was the highlight of my match, it was around 90 minutes before I had a bite, a 2.5lb or so skimmer was netted from over the groundbaited area. 2 more missed bites, possibly small roach was how the next 2 hours went.
Elsewhere a couple guys had netted upwards of 7 carp and Mark on peg 11 had 2 lumps. Eric was now getting a few, and bumping a few, perch with the odd roach chucked in. Neil Purchase was getting a few silvers too.

A few others only had 1 carp, some hadn't had a bite and some were on 2 roach or similar.
I packed up at 1pm so I could get back to watch the Man Utd match away at Liverpool. Luckily the result, rather than the match itself, was a positive one. Plus the Gas had come from behind to win 2-1 at Oxford. So at least the footy was good.
A few others were packing up at the same time as me, I didn't get the results, but I would guess that pegs 22 and 24 would be there or there abouts plus pegs 32 and 33 had a couple or more of carp each.

Its not very often I don't weigh in, but today was one of those days.
Next weekend I am up on Harescombe with the PSV lads, hopefully, just possibly, I may have a few more bites, its meant to be up around 10 or 12 degrees by then.........we shall see.

Take Care
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment