Monday 4 January 2016

Avalon Teams of 3, Round 5, 03-01-16

Happy New Year to you all, hope you had a great evening.

Back to semi-normality today, the weather to start the day was rather crap, windy, wet, wet and windy....it was a touch nippier than of late, we even had a frost a couple nights ago. Surely the fishing would be a touch tricky today?

Anyways I arrived as usual, and wrote our 3 names on the sheet, not much in the way of chatter as there was only our Young One's side and Sedges left to draw, Eric and Steve arrived later than everyone else, so we were left with the last set of pegs. They were the same set of pegs as last week, 13, 27 and 39. Not the best set to be honest, Somerset Carpenters looked like they had the best pick  in 11, 24 and 37.
The draw fell in the way that I was on the same peg as last week, peg 39 (see last week's blog for pics, saved getting my phone out....bonus). Eric was on snaggy peg 13 which Derek really struggled from and Steve was on the peg Eric won from last weekend, peg 27.

I arrived at my peg and set up the same rigs as last week, minus the pellet waggler and the open water meat line. So a skimmer rig, a carp to peg 40 rig, a topkit silvers rig and a mesh feeder to the island.
It was all rather wet and moods were not exactly high from most people given the conditions.
The lake also was 3 inches up and a lot more coloured thanks to the rains we have had in the last few days, so despite a few silver fish topping and odd sets of bubbles, I set my usual 15lb target for ok section points.
For company I had Jim Jenner on peg 37 and he had Tom Mangnall up on peg 35.

At the all in I started by feeding various spots and lobbed the feeder across......the next 2 hours never saw me get a bite on the feeder, but in my section only Jim had had a carp as had Keith Clapp up on peg 32. I actually more or less stayed on the feeder for over 2 hours because nobody was catching. Even Eric over on 13 was fishless, though in his section Phil Clapp, Mark Sweeting and Pete Wild had a few carp each. I did hear that Steve had a few fish though up on peg 27.

A switch to the pole at around 12:30 saw me put a couple rudd and roach in the net, so to have something to weigh in at least.....I did expect a few skimmers, and I did bump one and that really killed the swim. It was at this time that Tom had a carp on the pellet waggler, that was his only landed carp of the day, but he went on to land a few skimmers and bits on the pole, he lost a couple edge fish late on in the match. Jim was struggling, he was getting a odd silver on the pole but no quality.
At 1pm, just as the winds eased and rain subsided, I did have my 1st carp, 2lb mirror, much to my relief, this came on the feeder to a slightly different spot on the island as there looked like a tethered fish in the usual spot towards to the gap.

That fish was followed half an hour later by a second of similar size. I looked down the edge towards p40 but never had a bite there, so tried the topkit line but only had minnows so that was abandoned.
Back out on the tip with an just over an hour left and I was soon into carp number three, a baby 1.5lb common putting me, I thought, ahead of Jim and Tom. But with there being a few 8-11lb fish in the pegs, often in the margins, I needed and hoped for at least a couple more carp before the end.
At 2:45 I had my 4th carp, another 2lber, putting me to about 8lb.

As we approached the 3:30 all out I had a proper wrap round on the feeder and netted my 5th and largest carp of the day, a 4lb mirror was netted. That was my lot for the match. Not an eventful one to say the least, but it did look like it had fished tricky.

I packed my gear away rather quickly and loaded the car before heading to the car park and having a natter with Jamie, Keith, Phil and a couple others They reckoned that Steve Fouracre was likely to have won but 2nd spot could be anyones, oh and John Fuidge would win the silvers as he had a good few proper sized skimmers/bream. The weigh in soon started and I followed it right round the lake for a change.

We saw peg 1 weigh in 30lb or so, then Phil Clapp had mid-30lbs, Pete and Eric weighed in and around 20lb while Mark Sweeting had 27lb. As for John Fuidge, he duly dropped 22lb of silvers on the scales.
Further along was Jamie Cook, he had 31lb+ and then around to Mike West, he didn't weigh enough to threaten the section, but as is the norm he lost a few on the day.
Then came team-mate Steve Fouracre, he took the lead and the match with just under 50lb, bargain.
Rich Coles had 8lb-ish, then Tom had 7lb+ of silvers and a 4lb carp, Jim then had his solo carp and a few skimmers for under 10lb before it was me being last to weigh.
My 7oz of silvers was 1oz under my estimate....haha, but my 8 or 9lb of carp estimate was well out as the needle swung round to 19lb-ish, thankfully securing me the section win and at least some money in our kitty...phew!!

Team wise we won the day on weight from Sedges, Steve won and I got my section money, so not a bad day really. Phil Clapp was 2nd on the day.

Results:

1st: Steve Fouracres - Young Ones, 48lb 2oz
2nd: Phil Clapp - Sedges, 37lb 2oz
3rd: Jamie Cook - Sedges, 31lb 15oz

4th: Nigel Hopkins - Fu Fighters, 29lb 6oz
5th: Mark Sweating - Somerset Carpenters, 27lb 9oz
6th: John Fuidge - Fu Fighters, 22lb 4oz


Silvers
1st John Fuidge, Fu Fighters, 22lb 4oz

Teams on the day:
1st, Young Ones, 12pts: 88lb 2oz
2nd, Sedges, 12pts: 77lb 10oz
3rd, Fu Fighters, 9pts: 59lb 12oz
4th, Somerset Carpenters, 6pts: 54lb 4oz
5th, Mosella UK, 6pts: 42lb 10oz

League Standings (1 round left 20/3/16)
1st - Sedges: 22 points
2nd - Young Ones: 19pts
3rd - Mosella UK: 15pts
4th - Fu Fighters: 11pts
5th Somerset Carpenters: 8pts

So at last I did ok, put something back for the team and going into the last round....at the end of march, we still have a slim chance of winning overall, but realistically we want to secure 2nd spot ahead of Mosella, it is tight....very tight.

Next up for me is a match at Sedges, Tile Lake with the PSV guys, it has been a while since I fished that lake so my expectations are not to high.

Until then, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment