Sunday 29 March 2015

PSV Match, Viaduct Campbell. 29-03-15

With British Summer Time upon us, longer days always herald the balminess of spring and summer.....yeah whatever!! But at least it wasn't cold today, but it was stupid windy with squally showers throughout the day.

I arrived at the lakes in plenty of time and as people arrived the banter started, from meat spillages through to my ability to moan about the chances of drawing my 'beloved' peg 130.
With 20 of us fishing today we used all the pegs on the long banks, leaving the end banks free. Peg 130 was definitely in!!
We all paid Mr Dearlove our monies and soon enough the draw was upon us.

With Saturday's match having weights of 188lb, 186lb as the top 2, plus decent back up weights, we were expecting to catch a few fish, though we all knew the wind would be our biggest enemy.
Pegs 115 and 116 and the pegs from 123 down to 128 were favoured as they'd been the most consistent ones recently and the 120's would have the wind off their back-ish. Peg 119 was baring the brunt of the weather. Down on pegs 110/111 and 132/131/130 the lake looked a whole lot calmer.

Back to the draw, I drew 3 from the end and knew I wasn't getting peg 130 as Rich Jones had that in his had, I managed to pluck peg 119, a peg I haven't fished and wasn't too displeased, though I would have been happier in calmer conditions.

Peg 119, Viaduct Campbell.
The common way to fish this peg tends to be a wag/lead towards peg 120, which in the 1 o'clock direction from the peg, or to fish the pole long against the end bank, but the pole at that length was out of the question due to the strong and gusty wind that was blowing at a 45 degree angle in and across me.

The end bank looking from Campbell 119.
For company I had Simon Belcham on peg 118, next to him was Matt Taynton, whose peg 117 is rarely used and is set well back from the rest.
I set about sorting my kit, trying not to have anything blow away. I even leant Simon a landing net handle as his had died!!
I assembled a lead rod for banded 8mm pellet as realistically this would have been the only likely form of fishing for most on my bank, plus it's been the most productive method on the lake.
2 pole rigs were made up, both identical 0.5g NG floats to fish meat over hemp (and a few pellets), the 1st rig was for the margin to my right at 2+2 distance, this never gave me a fish so no more on that. The second rig was for the same distance in front as this is all I could hold-ish in the wind, the rest of the pole stayed in the holdall.

The all in was called and I just about managed to pot some bait in on my 2 pole lines before I went out on the lead, as did most people. I began fishing over toward the tree on the end bank and I began to regularly feed 8mm pellets over the area I was fishing, just 3 or 4 every couple of minutes.
Simon had began on a groundbait feeder with maggots.
Opposite me I had Chris Szacaks, he began on the lead and was soon into fish, as was Will Dearlove on peg 125. Steve O'Toole and Adam Caswell on pegs 116 and 115 started off well too.

It took me 45 minutes for my 1st fish, a 3lb carp, this coincided with Si's first carp.
Another hour passed before a 4lb ghostie was netted, but I was picking up too much crap so I began to feed out in front of me a new lead line.
A switch to the pole in front soon gave me a 3lb mirror, but it was bloomin hard getting good presentation, when the wind dropped I got bites quicker.

By the time 4hrs had passed I'd managed 5 decent carp on the pole, fish from 6lb to around 13lb, I also had one do me under my platform, trashing my rig.
While I made a new rig up I managed a couple small carp on the lead, but I knew I was miles behind a few people, especially Chris Szakacs, Steve O'Toole and Will Dearlove.
Ryan Radford came down for a wander and mentioned one or 2 people were struggling and others were catching plenty.

I went back on the pole and landed another carp of 5lb and then didn't get a bite, I knew fish were present as I would get the odd missed bite or liner. With the wind getting stronger I went out on the lead again, resulting in a small carp. While I was playing this fish a sudden gust of wind decided to blow over my roller and move my topkits.......5hrs 15mins of no problems on this front then everything went and happened at once. Matty Taynton popped down and grabbed my pole while I netted the fish.
I decided then to put my pole away and fish the lead for the last 45 minutes.

The last 45 mins were ok, I managed a couple decent fish by fishing the lead over the pole line and a few more further out in front. I had put my 2nd carp net in as my first net clicker said 42lb....I know I am shit as weight guessing, 4lb to 8lb fish are my downfall.....but have been better since using the clicker at certain venues. And with a 70lb limit, 80lb disqualified.....I wanted to play safe, plus my wrist/arm isn't 100% over the bout of tendonitis.
The all out was called at 4pm and I thought I had maybe 70lb odd. From what I could see, Chris on peg 123 would win, but Will would be close. Steve Sewell, who was sandwiched between them on peg 124 also had a good few fish.

I packed away and waited for the scales, there were 2 sets in use so didn't have to wait long for my bank to be done.
A quick look at the board before we weighed Matt on peg 117, revealed Steve O'Toole had the best net of 117lb+ and Derek Lucas on peg 111 had amassed 102lb. Matt weighed 70lb+ before Simons assorted silvers (well roach plus a handful of small skimmers) weighed 10lb-ish which was likely to win the silvers pot. He had tipped his 2 carp back.
My turn to weigh and I was surprised by my 1st net, in fact I went 8lb+ over the 70lb limit, but was thankfully under the 80lb and goodnight limit. My second net gave me another 38lb 6oz and my solitary skimmer was a token (unweighed) 4oz. Totalling 108lb 10oz (would have been nearer 118lb).

Elsewhere it turned out that Chris Szacaks had 170lb+ to win, as I expected. Will had registered 170lb but had to take off 82lb as he'd gone over the point of no return in a net...!!
Rich Jones and Ron Hardiman both had 120lb+ nets on that bank.

Results:
1. Chris Szakacs (123) 173-7...
2. Ron Hardiman (127) 120-13
3. Rich Jones (130) 120-0
4. Steve O'Toole (116) 117-4
5. Lee Williams (119) 108-10
6. Derek Lucas (111) 102-11

Silvers:
Simon Belcham (118) 10-6
 
So overall I was pleased with my net, I only lost 3 fish, 2 of which went under my pallet (the wind was hindering my nets I use as blockers) and another was hook pulled on the tip, maybe foul hooked.
If I had been able to fish the pole, or even feed the lead line better, I could possibly had a few more fish. But well done to Chris Szakacs, he drew a good peg and made the most of it.
Unlucky to Will, who'd run him close but a mishap saw him lose a net. However he did get 25 quid for winning the section, so all wasn't lost on him.
Best even more well done to Derek Lucas who'd caught his first 100lb net, especially as I told him he should fish for silvers, lol.


Weigh Sheets. Campbell.

Next up for me.....I hope to get out at least 3 times over the long 4 day weekend, but I am definitely fishing with PSV at Shiplate on the canal lakes. I am not sure if or where there are any other matches over the easter weekend .

Until next time, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment