Sunday 5 April 2015

PSV Match, Shiplate Hawthorn/Westpool. 05-04-15

Happy Easter boys and girls, I hope you all got lots of eggs and visited church today.....!!!

Today's gambit was taken up by 15 of us across the 2 canal style lakes down at Shiplate, not my fave style of fishing but I must learn. I didn't want to draw Hawthorn as I have only fished it a couple of times before and (I think) drawn peg 11 and not done too great, yet on Westpool I have done okay.

I arrived in plenty of time but the car parking area was building up as there was a match on the Main Lake. I unloaded the car and found myself chatting to a whole bunch of people and a good few hello/how's you? Titch Williams, Steve King and Shawn Larkham were fishing the match on the Main lake. After paying my fee's to Steve Burgess in his last match as Match Secretary I went and chatted to Kingy, it ended with me telling him to draw either peg 1 or 15!!

Back to the PSV match, we had 8 on Hawthorn and 7 on Westpool. I must say I fancied being on Westpool from around peg 11 up to 15. As usual I waited to the end of the draw, Adam Caswell drew H15 and that won a midweek knock up and I think it was todays golden peg. With the last 2 remaining tickets left being H11 and W11.....I picked H11 and left Mr Burgess W11, I would have 1000% preferred his peg to mine.

I made my way to my peg rather disgruntled, but at least the weather was good, I stayed in short sleeves all day which was rather nice.
At my peg there seemed to be a few fish present but most pegs did also. For company, not that I could see them, were Darren North on peg 9 and Mike Wilson on peg 13.
In the other match Steve King did draw peg 1....No pressure.

Shiplate Hawthorn peg 11.
I began by mixing up some groundbait and wetting some pellets of various sizes.
My bait tray was filled with groundbait, wet micros, maggots, meat, hemp and a few 6mm pellets of in the band. Oh and a few 4mm and 6mm expanders.
I made up a few rigs, a silvers rig for 2+2 in front where I would feed regular small balls of groundbait, a rig for my left hand margin with was within an inch the same depth as at 5m in front!!
A shallower rig was made to fish towards the bottom of the far shelf at 13m-ish at a couple spots at 10 o'clock and 11 o'clock directions.
Lastly a shallow pellet rig was made, ideally for tight over should the floating crap be blown away, plus I have noted from previous visits they will come shallow anywhere in the peg.

At the 10am all-in I cupped some groundbait and maggots on my 2+2 silvers line, and a nice helping of hemp and meat down to  my left.
I started across on 6mm expander (11 o'clock line) and went 15 mins biteless, toss potting micros.
A quick look on the other long line proved fruitless.
So it was 30 minutes in and I came onto the silvers line and plucked a few plippy roach on the drop using maggot, I kept feeding groundbait nuggets regularly.

At the hour point I had a quick drop of the shallow pellet rig down my left margin, this gave me my 1st carp but was a false dawn and I never had a bit down there all day despite my efforts,
At this point I was a good way behind the likes of Adam Caswell up on 15 and Darren North and Alan Healey on pegs 9 and 7 respectively. Mr Wilson on peg 13 had a few silvers but was struggling too.

The next hour was spent between the 2 longer lines and I began to suffer from foul hooked fish and had to change the way I was feeding. I did manage another carp.
The next few hours were dire for me, giving me a solitary carp. Darren was up to 8lb of silvers and looked likely to have that tied up, he also had a good few carp as had Alan and Adam.
I took a few minutes out to re-asses the situation. The silvers were not producing but I kept feeding nuggets of groundbait over that same line but instead of maggots I added a few pieces of meat to the mix. I also re-plumbed the far side and found a shallower area at the 2 o'clock direction against the reeds as opposed to grasses. I fed a decent helping of hemp and meat and carried on between the longer lines at 10+11 o'clock directions, losing a couple of fish to the keepnets

As we entered the last hour I was probably last over the whole match but I hoped/knew a few carp would appear on the converted silvers line. But I went across to my new far line in 2ft of water, drip feeding meat. A couple of carp in a row gave me hope before a 10 minute spell saw me re-feed and come short on that line which had a few bubbles blowing. A 4lb carp from here gave me a little more enthusiasm, a second carp from this spot was welcome before I went back over.
So this last hour was my best, giving me 11 carp to add to my 5hrs amount of 3!!

As I packed up I didn't think I had snuck ahead of Adam, Darren and Alan, but if we had another 30 mins to an hour I would maybe overtaken them as their lines had died and were struggling though Darren had a last gasp carp that trashed a section of his pole.

We were all soon packed up and waiting for the scales to arrive from Westpool so I went and chatted to a few peeps on the main lake which had fished ok but it was assumed that Kingy on peg 1 had won. He'd fished method to the island mostly and even landed a rod & reel.....Nice!
The scales arrived at Adam and a look at the sheet saw weights of 80lb, 74lb and 63lb. Adam's nets went around 61lb, Mike weighed 19lb-ish before I had to weigh, 1lb level of silvers and 55lb or so of carp was slightly more than expected, I suppose 40lb+ came in that last hour spell.

I didn't follow the scales from then on as I made my way back to the car, stopping to chat to Steve King on peg 1. I was soon loading the car before Steve called the results:

1. Matt Challenger (H3) 80-9
2. Steve Burgess (W11) 74-13
3. Matt Taynton (W13) 63-10 (section win)
4. Adam Caswell (H15) 61-9 (section win)
5. Alan Healey (H7) 59-7
6. Lee Williams (H11) 56-2
7. Lee Waller (W5) 55-9
8. Darren North (H9) 55-8
9. Ryan Radford (W15) 48-10
10. Julian Nurse (H1) 46-6
Silvers:
1. Darren North (H9) 11-8
2. Matt Taynton (W13) 10-10

So a pretty fruitless day for me, I just cant get my head around that lake, or maybe I am just pants or maybe the fish just take the mick......a bit of each I think!!
Matt caught on paste across, so well done him.

Weigh sheet, Shiplate Canals


Next up for me is the Gary Bull fundraiser next Saturday at Summerhayes (we have nearly 60 fishing) before a match on Sunday at Sedges, a silvers match with Pawlett.

Until next time, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment