Sunday 22 February 2015

Viaduct Fishery, Campbell & Cary, Pawlett Club. 22-02-15

With 28 fishing today (a couple last minute drop outs), we had a sensible amount of anglers on each lake.
I arrived at the lake early enough and although the day started rather freezing with a sharp frost, the inclement weather predicted would soon wash away the crispyness on the ground.
I had a brief chat with a few guys including newcomer James Withers, and decided I fancied 119, 123 and 132 on Campbell as they have been consistent recently. On Cary, 85 and 86 would be obvious choices but 104, 106 and 74 looked ideal for a few fish too.  If I wasn't to get any of these then 115, 116, 125 and 126 would suffice as they can be great winter pegs if the fish move away from the end banks.

Anyways onto the draw, I waited until most had picked, all my favoured pegs had gone. I plucked out peg 130......yep the same peg I tend to draw more than any other on the complex. That's something like 8 times in the last 12 months. A really shallow peg that is a struggle at the best of times, even with the aerator in the middle. One day I will draw well on Campbell......I hope.
For company I had Sedges owner Jamie Cook on peg 129 and down in the corner peg 132 I had one of the Clapp Twins.

My usual Campbell peg....peg 130
I set up 3 pole rigs, but only used one. 1 carp rig (just in case.......haha!!), a 0.2g rig for silvers (unused due to the wind) and a 0.5g silvers rigs. I had 2 lines in front, the 1st at 2+2 and the 2nd at 13m.
A 4aaa waggler was set up to cast, initially slightly to my right in the shadows of the trees where I could see the float, I also set up a lead rod to cast slightly short of the aerator.

Baits for the day were meat, caster, corn and some maggots. I also mixed up a bit of dark F1 groundbait.
At the all in I cupped 4 smallish balls of groundbait with caster and maggot at 13m. Some caster cupped at 2+2 and a few grains of corn plus some caster went out where my waggler would be fished.

I began on the waggler and caught a couple of small roach to save my blank, I then went out on some punched meat. 20 minutes passed before I had a wrap round and a 2lb tench was netted, bonus.
Meanwhile, everyone else I could see hadn't really had anything, though Jamie on 129 did have a few roach though.
A look on the pole after a couple hours gave me a couple roach, but then the wind had began to get stronger and it was persisting with rain. Nice....not!!
So I pretty much spent the remainder of the match fishing the waggler either over the long pole line or over the area I started off on. It was hard work but I picked up the odd roach throughout the afternoon.

Elsewhere James Withers on p125 had been catching a good few but was sharing the shoal of carp with Martin Rowles on peg 116. Eric Fouracre on p115 had landed a couple carp early on. But it was slow going.
Jamie Cook did manage a 10lber late on, accidentally on his silvers line, but followed this with a chunky bream to go with the nice net of silvers he had amassed. He also had his no.4 section blown in by the gales we had, be he got it back.
Sandra on p114 had here brolly blown in, while Brian Gattiss on (around) peg 106 had his brolly/box/nets and bait all blown in towards the end of the match. Luckily his 10 carp never escaped from the nets.

By 3pm we were down to just 7 of us fishing on the lake, at least 3 people blanked on Campbell.
At the all out I estimated I had 4lb of fish, while Jamie would have close to 10lb of silvers plus his solitary carp.

I was 1st to weigh and my 4lb 10oz silvers was my reward for my efforts....
Jamie had 10lb of silvers and the 10lb carp.
Then there were a couple 2lb+ nets before Withers stuck 81b on the board, well done him.
The far bank saw Martin Rowles have 97lb, managing a good last couple hours, the fish obviously drifted across from 125 to 116 in the afternoon sun.
Eric had 25lb from 115 and that was it for the lake.
On Cary there was a 12lb and a 13lb silvers catches while Brian Gattiss had just over 92lb to take 2nd spot on the day.

Results (as best I can due to rather damp weigh sheets)
1st p116 Martin Rowles. 97lb+
2nd p106 (?) Brian Gattiss. 92lb+
3rd p125 James Withers. 81lb+

Silvers. Both from Cary.
1st Rob Dodd 13lb+
2nd Steve Fouracre 12lb+

So a tricky day, again, from peg 130. Not much else to say, but never mind....haha

Next up for me is PSV's match next Sunday down on Landsend (Match Lake).

Until then, Take Care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment