Monday 16 February 2015

Plantation Main Lake, PSV Match, 15-02-15

Plantation's Main lake was the venue for this week's match with the PSV guys, with only 11 originally booked in, the 'better' weather that was predicted saw us end up with 17 fishing, a decent turn-out including Pete Sivell and newbie Steve Sewell amongst the clan.

With all the chit chat, predictions and talk about what pegs are favoured (5, 7, 27, 38 were my choices), the draw was soon under way.
As usual I waited back and when I came to drawing there were 2 pegs left in the bucket. I took both out and let Steve Burgess choose either left or right hand, he chose left. He was on peg 11, me, I was on peg 29. I have only been pegged in this small area (pegs 28 to 33), so at the time I would rather have had peg 11. Oh well.

I made my way around to the peg to find I had Darren North on peg 31, we thought that p32 would have been in not 31 as that peg faced my swim/island.

peg 29, Plantation Main Lake.
I had agreed to give Adam Caswell some groundbait, which I did along with a bait tub to put it in!!

Anyways I set about mixing my groundbait, wetting some micros and sorting my tackle. I had for bait some micros, groundbait, maggots and 8mm pellets. Also some various coloured pellets for a change bait.
Tackle wise I set up 3 pole rigs, the 1st was aimed at silvers at 14m (maver float, 0.3g, 0.14>0.10>b611 size 20), the 2nd was for carp at 8m (but the same depth at long if require) and lastly a margin rig for down to my left at around 8m (0.4g NG Margin, 0.18>0.14>16 B911x), but despite it looking nice there I never had a bite.
Left hand margin....
I also assembled a method feeder and a waggler, both of which would be fished towards the island.

At the all in I cupped in a couple balls of groundbait on the long line plus some pellets and maggots on both of the carp lines.
1st chuck on the method feeder saw my tip bouncing around with liners, I really didn't fancy a repeat of last week where liners were my highlights!!
After a couple more chucks I was into my 1st carp, a baby of 1.5lb was safely netted, this followed 15 minutes later with it's twin.
I stuck on the feeder for the first couple of hours and at 12pm I was on 2 skimmers for possibly 1.5lb and 3 small carp for around 7lb.
Elsewhere Darren had landed a few skimmers, Alan Healey on peg 1 had landed a carp or 2, plus some small silvers, Ryan Radford on around peg 6 or 7 had landed a couple of skimmers and carp. It was tricky going though.
A look on the pole was my next move, well I had snagged and lost a feeder on an unseen 'feature', and this gave me a skimmer of around 1.5lb. 10 more minutes passed before I had a go on the waggler, but I didn't get any bites, so I swapped the float from a standard loaded waggler to a pellet type set around 12" off bottom and chucked that over(ish) where my feeder had mostly been going, I had a carp of 5lb right away before another snag too that rig...!!! grrrr.....

I chucked my feeder back out and soon found myself attached to my lost float rig, which in turn was attached to a snag, I wound this snag in and it turned out to be half a tree!!
Sadly doing this killed the swim and the rest of the match was patchy for me.
The remaining 2.5hrs saw me amass 3 more okay sized skimmers off the pole lines and although I struggled on the feeder and pellet waggler, I pulled out of no less than 7 carp during this period, most seemed foul hooked, but not all.

With half an hour to go I was on 5 carp and my skimmers, a look down my left margin didn't give any response (though Darren did manage on down his edge), the short pole line gave me 12oz skimmer. Another carp on the wag and 2 more on the method saw me end up with 8 carp for around 20lb, plus about 6lb of skimmers.
From those I could see (and those who'd packed up) I had done ok, but I heard that Chris Szakacs, Julian Nurse and Ryan Radford had a few carp, they'd all been pegged close together so the fish were in that area of the lake.

I packed my kit up, took it back and loaded the car.
I followed the scales, beginning with Alan in peg 1. His few silvers and half a dozen carp gave him a total of 26lb 4oz. Pete Sivell on peg 3 weighed around 12lb. Julian Nurse popped 37lb on the scales before Chris Szakacs took the lead with 56lb+. There wasn't much after this until we got to John Bradford and his silvers net of 11lb 9oz took the silvers lead. A couple more guys weighed in before it was my turn, my 1st weigh (silvers) was just over 8lb and was soon topped up by my under-estimated carp net of 32lb+. My total was 40lb 11oz to put me into 2nd spot.
Darren was next, I reckoned on him having 15lb of silvers and perhaps 9lb of carp. Infact it turned out that his 2 carp gave him 12lb 12oz, his silvers went 15lb 12oz to give him the silvers lead at this point.
Next up was Lionel Legge and Steve Sewell on pegs 38 and 39 respectively. Lionel did well on the silvers front, 12lb 5oz was his total, moving him to 2nd spot in the silvers. Steve Sewell put around 10lb of silvers and a sole 5lb carp onto the weigh sheet, not a bad 1st outing with the club, I am sure he enjoyed the match.

Results:
1st, Chris Szakacs, p5 56lb 14oz
2nd, Lee Williams, p29, 40lb 11oz
3rd, Julian Nurse, p4, 37lb 5oz
4th, Ryan Radford, p6 34lb+ (not in the pools)
5th, Darren North, p31, 28lb 8oz
6th, Alan Healey, p1, 26lb 4oz

Silvers:
1st, Darren North, p31, 15lb 12oz
2nd, Lionel Legge, p38, 12lb 5oz
3rd, John Bradford, p27, 11lb 9oz

So all in all a productive match and most peeps managed a few silvers and odd carp, for me it was a matter of unseen snags, lost fish and a few lost pieces of tackle. If only I could have caught a carp or 2 on the pole as the pole caught carp at the venue tend to be somewhat larger than those that inhabit the islands' margins.
We were told that the owners have plans to tidy the pegs and clear what they can of the snags/branches that are in the margins and around the island. This will be good as the fishing is pretty good and I enjoy fishing there.

Next up is a match on Cary and Campbell at Viaduct with Pawlett, judging by recent results, it looks like a lotto at the draw bag.....PSV are on the Match lake on the same day, I expect most of the gusy should get some bites.

Until next time, Take care.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment