Thursday 2 November 2017

Viaduct Silvers League, 3rd Round, 29-10-17

3rd round of this series was last Sunday. A dry and bright day forecast with westerly/north-westerly winds, no doubt making float spotting tricky at time.
I was hoping to get on Cary, maybe Campbell, but thankfully I got my wish. Peg 85 on Cary fell into my hand, nice enough peg, tricky section. Plenty of cover guys today across the board.
My section consisted of me on peg 85, Robin Guy on peg 81, peg 80 had Martin Rayet, 78 was Trig, 77 was occupied by Vince Brown. Lastly on peg 74 was Mr Gabe Skarba. No such thing as a weak section in this series.

peg 85, Viaduct Cary
For company I had a good young angler in Geraint Powell on 86, he had Mike Nicholls on peg 87 to his left.
Waggler was set up first to chuck corn to around 20m. 4 pole rigs, a topkit rig for down by the tree to my left using caster over caster. A rig for 13m slightly off to the right where I could actually see the float most of the time, not all of it, I would use maggots or caster over groundbait in that spot.
Lastly I made up a pellet rig (last pellet match before the 'ban' comes into play), this would be for 11m in front, but couldn't see the float at any point in the awkward light so knocked that on the head. So I used it for 2+2 slightly left just off the tree using 4mm hard pellet over micros and odd 4mm as feed. Lastly a rig for 2+2 down the edge to my right.

The match began with me feeding 4 balls of So Simple BMG at 13m, with a few dead reds and casters in. 1/2 a pot of micros at 2+2 and a half pot of caster under the tree, I also wanted to loose feed caster to my right at 2+2 down the edge so a few were lobbed in that direction.
I started on the wag, no bites in 10 mins, but Geraint was getting small skimmers right away.
Over the groundbait and after 5 minutes I had a couple 3-4oz skimmers and kept them coming for 15 minutes before they stopped. Another helping of groundbait went in before trying the other lines, only 1 small roach and a small skimmer fell to the caster under the tree, a 2oz skimmer on the short pellet line.

After an hour I had maybe a dozen fish for 1lb or so.
The following 4hrs went slowly for me, I could hear Geraint catching well but I was struggling as was 81 and most of the diagonal bank from what I could see.
I would get spurts of small skimmers, no quality, the largest maybe 10oz at a push. So going in to the last 60 minutes I hoped for a few lumpy skimmers, but this never happened either, though I did lose a foul hooked skimmer of about 2lb. I initially thought it was a carp and pulled too hard.
The right edge never gave me a bite and all I could hook at this point under the tree was carp, similarly the last 4 fish I hooked on the long pole were carp and another at 2+2 where I had swapped to fishing maggot on the hook.
At the all-out I reckoned I had 9lb or so and was miles behind peg 86, but he wasn't in my section. I would guess that 74 to 80 had done miles better and 81 probably had over taken me with a few late skimmers. So last in section was on the cards.
As we packed up I thought that I pretty much fished like a tit for 4hrs of the 6, over fed the peg and should have really opened a new line at around 8m, but I am too stubborn at times......one day I will get it right, but I am enjoying this learning curve. Roll on the next round in a couple weeks.

Matt came and weighed me in, 11lb 8oz was my dire tally.
Geraint had 29lb something, I thought he must have 30lb!! He confirmed my thoughts I had fed too much when he told me how he had not fed much and figured the fish would drift off but come back a few minutes later, so well done that man.
The rest of my section weighed, from 74-80, 21lb, 31lb, 32lb, 23lb, 14lb and then me. Trig and Vince were 1st and 2nd in the match from their pegs each side of the fallen tree.

Results:

  1. Craig Edmonds 32-14-0 peg 78
  2. Vince Brown 31-0-0 peg 77
  3. Stu White 30-09-0 peg 96
  4. Paul Faiers 30-06-0 peg 123
  5. Geraint Powell 29-02-0 peg 86
  6. Gary O’Shea 28-02-0 peg 56
Of all the 51 anglers, the majority had double figures, so it fished pretty well. (full weigh sheets on Mike Nicholls' blog and Viaduct's Facebook pages).

Next up for me is this Sunday, covering in Matt Culpin's series at Landsend on either lake 1 or 2. Not fished there for a long while so will see how it goes, but it is unlikely I will over-feed this match!!

Until then, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment