Wednesday 8 November 2017

Landsend Lakes 1 + 2, Matt Culpin's Series, 5-11-17

A chance to cover came up for this round of Matt Culipin's series, he has ran over the last couple of months and as seems to be the case there have been no-shows and anglers unable to fish the rounds for various reasons.
So I duly accepted my invitation, purely because I haven't fished for carp for what seems like months and fancied a change.

Down to the fishery in plenty of time, chatted to a few people I hadn't seen for a while.
I didn't mind where I drew, but to be honest if I had to be pushed then 31 round to 33 on Lake 1 may have been my choice as I could have tried to catch some perch....failing that pegs 11, 13, and 15 up at the far end of Lake 2 would be a better pick on that lake, but I wasn't too fussed to be fair.
We had seen loads of overnight hail showers and there was likely to have been a fair amount of cold water going into the lakes, so I was not expecting a baggin session on anyone's part, certainly it would be harder than usual no doubt.

Into the draw about 5th in line and I plucked peg 19 on Lake 2, a decent enough peg, but the cold north/north-westerly wind would be cutting through the gap in the islands and right in my chops. But I was pleased enough with the peg.
Steve Howell was on peg 11, Mark Thorne on peg 13 and Adrian Jeffery on peg 15 would be on the favoured pegs, peg 11 had won the Saturday open.

Peg 19, Landsend
Bait for the day was live maggots, some girly 6mm meat, a few wetted micros and some expander pellets. I had mixed a little So Simple BMG groundbait just incase the skimmers/roach were my option of a few bites.
Rigs for the day were a silvers rig, a small DT F1/Silvers float to fish in front at 2+2. A meat rig to fish slightly to the right at the same distance using a 0.3g DT RBS open water float, this rig was also suitable down to my left beside the tree that is in the water.
Lastly I set up a DT Pellet Pinger float in 0.1g for fishing at 14m to the left edge of some reeds where I found slightly deeper water. This rig also covered an area off to the right at the same distance but involved moving the float shallower by 6 inches. Mike Duckett said there was a nice area to fish there using 8mm pellets, maybe 6''s.
The carp rigs were on 0.14 hooklengths as the water still looked like it was not too clear, KND white laccy was used. The silvers was my usual 0.10 hooklength and middy solid 5-8 elastic.

At the all-in I popped a small ball of groundbait at 2+2 and maybe 20 pieces of meat went in over that area. I would feed to my left by the tree with maggots in small amounts during the day.
I began over to the left of the reeds using a 4mm expander on the hook and a small amount of loose fed micros.
It took maybe 5 minutes for my 1st indication which I missed, but duly dropped back in and was into a carp, foul hooked and soon came off. A few minutes later I repeated the process as another foul hooked fish was lost, I shallowed up a few inches and indications stopped.
Then I did manage to foul hook a couple more before landing one hooked fairly, a nice ghostie looking carp of around 6lb. I hadn't seen anyone else have a fish yet, some had not even had a bite after an hour.

We were soon an hour into the match and my indications had stopped across so I came and looked on the silvers line, a couple roach and a couple micro perch were put in the net but bites dried up rapidly. Another small ball of groundbait went in there and it was back across.
2 more carp were landed in short time, one of 8lb on maggots and the other perhaps 5lb on expander. But I was not getting the signs of fish in the area I was in the previous hour.
Things went dead then.....no signs from anything, people were struggling, though I could occasionally see Adrian's elastic being worked.
Jon Page down on peg 21 had landed his first carp down his right edge, I had not bothered with my right side as there was one or 2 overhanging branches that hindered my view.

It was soon the halfway stage of the match and I was on 3 carp, a couple roach and a couple perch.
I decided to put 3/4 of a cup of micros on the 14m area off to the right and leave it, hoping something would settle over the top. I gave this a 20 minute rest before trying it and would you believe it when in had a bite 1st put, a smallish F1 was landed then a foul hooked carp was lost, then one of about 10lb landed. Nice.
Back to the left hand side of the reeds and a couple roach were landed, this told me that the carp were not here.

Another couple hours passed and it was maybe 45 minutes until the end of the match. The tree swim had yet to give me a bite, it never actually did. A couple looks over the meat line saw the float stationary. And the silvers line gave me 1 more roach before the all-out.
JP on peg 21 was up to 3 carp and peg 24 had 1 on the lead earlier in the day and had since got a few from his left margin. He was on 4 or 5 carp but they can be smaller in that corner at times.
I went back over the 14m line to the right and managed a 2lb skimmer that fought like mad, lost another foul hooked carp and netted a nice 8oz skimmer.
Around 20 minutes to go and I saw a couple bubbles over the meat and I dropped in there and was soon attached to a carp, which was netted and probably 7lb. Back in and I missed a bite, but hooked and landed another, 10lber perhaps. With perhaps 5 minutes to go I hooked my 3rd meat fish, landed it after a nice scrap and it too was possibly 10lb. I hoped to get one more before the all-out and promptly missed a bite a few seconds before the whistle.

So the match ended with peg 24 having 6 carp, Jon had 3, I had 6 and from what I could hear 11, 13 and 15 all had a few fish, not loads though.
My clicker showed 36lb but I hadn't clicked the last carp. I also had 4lb of silvers (1x F1, 2x skimmers, 2x micro perch and 8 roach).
I packed up as the rain began, typically it was the heaviest rain of the day.
I caught up with the weigh-in at peg 11 and Steve Howell. He had 11lb of silvers and some carp to give him 50lb and ounces. Mark Thorne had around 48lb and Adrian had 39lb. Peg 17 don't weigh too much, I didn't catch his weight.
My turn to weigh saw a smidge over 4lb of silvers and my 2 weighs of carp added another 48lb to put me to 52lb and winning the lake and section (paying 1st, 3 sections and 1st in silvers on the day). Jonny Page had 20lb before the 6 carp landed from peg 24 weighed 30-something I believe.

Back to the car, car loaded and I found out that Lake 1 had been tricky and that 57lb to Lee Phillips won that, and the match. There was a couple 30lb+ nets I think and Ron Stark had 11lb 14oz of silvers to pip Steve Howell by a solitary ounce to win that pot. I had top weight off Lake 2 and picked up 2nd overall, winning the section money.

Results:
1st, Lee Phillips, 57lb 1oz
2nd, Lee Williams, 52lb 8oz (I think)
3rd, Steve Howell, 50lb 4oz

Silvers:
1st, Ron Stark, 11lb 14oz
2nd, Steve Howell, 11lb 13oz

So a nice day, if not hard going, but I enjoyed it and it was a nice change to catch a few carp.
1 fish would have given me the win, which I should really have done, maybe if a foul hooked fish had not come off etc. Hindsight eh!!

Next up for me, as it stands is Sunday at Viaduct for the 4th round of the silvers league, only sections to fish for now for me.

Until then, take care.
Lee





No comments:

Post a Comment