Tuesday 21 March 2017

Summerhayes, Sellicks. 19-03-17

A change of scenery for me this Sunday, I decided on visiting Summerhayes, it isn't somewhere that I visit too often.
I arrived there in plenty of time to see that plenty of 'gardening' has been done around the venue by Pete and co. It looked nice though with plenty of light and wind getting to the waters, which is not a bad thing. Sellicks lake, the one we fished, had plenty of bubbles and odd fish moving on the surface.
There were 10 or so fishing, all regulars at the venue including Bill Hopping who wins a good amount there on the paste. Kedgey, Paul Purchase, Jamie Rich and Janders plus a few others to boot.

The golden peg was drawn, peg 8. That went to Bill. I pulled out peg 6, which is the highest numbered peg I have ever drawn on the lake..!!
The wind was blustery and strong, and by the end of the match my neighbour on peg 4 had broken a couple of pole sections.

Peg 6, Sellicks at Summerhayes
I had my mind set to fish for silvers, having some bait left over from a pleasure session on Saturday, but stuck some 6mm meat, 4mm and 6mm pellets in the bag incase I needed them.
Arriving at my appointed plot I went about sorting my stuff, keeping it all as safe from the wind as possible, but I still had to rescue topkits a couple of times during the match.
1 rig for 2 spots at 11m for silvers was set up, and unused.
A rig for my left edge, which although quite deep, wasn't as snaggy as my right edge felt, I would fish meat over maggots there.
A deep banded pellet rig for on the deck at 14m just off the far bank plus the usual 6m meat rig, which went bite-less all day surprisingly.

The all in was called and after dropping my feed in the specific areas I began by toss-potting 4mm pellets and fishing a 6mm in the band on the deck. No indications were forthcoming in the first 30 minutes then I managed to hook, and lose, about 8 small carp, I am sure they were all foul hooked as the odd fish was swirling near the surface against the island.
So it was off the box to set up a shallow rig, plus I fed a liberal helping of pellets by the cup just to try and force the fish down.
I started to ping pellets over while trying my other lines. Of the 3 guys I could see it was only peg 11 that was catching anything. I never managed a fish off my other spots so I ventured back across with my shallow rig and promptly had 3 fish in succession. The fish average around 3lb, so I was using my clicker, just to practice I suppose...haha.

A look on the deep rig then gave me a couple of smaller carp, but I was still suffering with foul hookers. So for the rest of the match I pretty much spent fishing shallow, varying depths and the odd occasion on the deck. Further along my side of the lake it was both pegs 8 and 11 catching well, especially the latter who was catching down his edges. But we all suffered with lost fish.
I also spied Steve Kedge get his 2nd carp net at one point, so no doubt he'd been doing well.
I did manage 3 or 4 fish from my left edge in quick succession around 4hrs into the match and again I had 4 from there in the last hour.

At the all out I had around 30 carp, my clicker showed 63lb on one net and my last hour's fishing went un-clicked into my 2nd net. But with my guesstimates at weight guessing of smaller carp being not very good, I presumed I had around 80lb or so.
I packed up the kit and caught up with the weigh in, and it was Jim Jenner leading with 74lb, then further along Kedgey had a low 80lb net. Paul Purchase had a cracking net of silvers for around 17lb, including tench and crucians.
Peg 11 had 60-something pound before Bill on the golden peg had some very decent silvers and a bunch of carp to also end up with a low 80lb net.
Then came me, 3 weighs, my 1st net had 62lb and 9 ounces, and my 2nd net had 27lb 15oz giving me 90lb 8oz, which took me into the lead, and with only peg 4 left to weigh it gave me the win. Plus I was pleased my clicker worked.

I was nice to get some shallow fishing done, but I am sure my peg was worth more than I extracted, but the weather hampered things and other if's and but's, hindsight and less duck activity would maybe have been kinder to me.

Results:
1st, Lee Williams, peg 6. 90lb 8oz
2nd, Bill Hopping, peg 8. 83-04
3rd, Steve Kedge, peg 17. 81-15

Silvers
1st, Paul Purchase, peg 13. 17-03
2nd, Janders, peg 19. 10-13

Weights....
Not sure where I am fishing this coming weekend, Viaduct has the Golden Reel qualifier on Saturday, so that is an option, as for Sunday I may go back to Summerhayes for a match on Longs.....actually it looks like I am at Landsend on Lake 3.

Until then, have fun.
Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment