Wednesday 24 August 2016

Pawlett Match, Landsend Lakes 2 + 3, 21/08/16

A short and sweet blog is this one. 24 or 25 fished.

Arrived early, it was raining.....wanted to draw on the match lake, and due to the 5 short walk pegs, if I drew on there then realistically I would have been on the far side. I drew a golden peg, on lake 3, peg 46 (the other was peg 51). Nice enough peg...well if the poxy wind wasn't as strong as we had it, blustery too, just to make it worse.....Keith Clapp on 45 caught the island more than he caught fish throughout the day.

Peg 46 Landsend, Lake 3.
I wont go into detail of what rigs I made etc, suffice to say I only caught on 2, a pellet rig across to the island in the 10 o'clock direction, where I had 2 carp in the first ten minutes, then I foul hooked a proper mid-double lump, played it for a bit then the hook pulled....bummer. I then pricked a couple.
All that action in the first 20 minutes or so, then I went 4 hours without a fish, not even a single caster could tempt a silver.
Meanwhile not many people were catching, Jamie Parkhouse, who you can see in the picture was getting the odd silver plus even rarer carp. Keith on peg 45 was getting the odd perch/small skimmer/roach on worms tight across, he managed 3 carp during the day I think.
Further down the lake on pegs 50 and 51 fish were getting caught more consistently, not bagging up though. Mike Davis had 5 on the lead in the first half hour of the match.

As we went in to the last hour I was on 2 carp, but then I managed a 3lber off the end of the island. The fish were present, but throughout the day they sat up in front of pegs 48 and 49, I could see them waving at me!!
My margins were getting the odd visit, but I never hooked a fish down either side.
Into the last half hour and I had some fizzing on my 2+2 meat line, so I dropped in on this and had 3 carp to 10lb or so in three drops....and that was that. So I ended up with 6 carp for maybe 30/33lb.
I chucked back as I knew I didn't have what pegs 50 and 51 had caught, I could hear and see regular activity from up there. Jamie Parkhouse had a few silvers including  a crucian or 2, which he was pleased about.
Colin Haggett had a day to forget on peg 60-ish, losing enough fish to win the match, landing only 5 or 6. Actually only 6 peeps weighed in on our lake, with 50 and 51 having 100lb between them split 48 and 52lb respectively. Jamie had 26lb as had Eric Fouracre on the end peg 40.

As I walked my kit back to the car I shouted up to those weighing in on the match lake to see what had been caught, I had a reply that there was a couple 60lb nets and a 70 and a 90.

Results:
1st, Derek Beard on peg 15 with 90-08
2nd, Chris Higgs, peg 3, 77-08
3rd, Brian Gatis, peg 11, 66-05
4th, Jamie Cook, peg 17, 65-15
Silvers:
1st, Jamie Cook, peg 17, 18-07
2nd, Brian Gatis, peg 11, 16-03

Match Lake results (no point on Lake 3's)
So a frustrating day for everyone on the Lake 3, maybe we all had too much room and the fish didn't want to move down to any of us. There were plenty of fish moving, and at times we could see tails waving aplenty off my island and off the area Jamie Parkhouse was targeting on his island. I tried to mug a couple throughout the day with no joy, they just weren't playing ball.
I guess what I chucked back would have been 3rd on the lake, not worth a penny.

Next Sunday I am up at Harescombe with some of the PSV crew, the rest are down at Stafford Moor for three days, so a few bites should be had by all.

Until then, Take Care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment