Sunday 9 August 2015

Viaduct Campbell, PSV match. 09-08-15

Only a short blog today as not much occurred throughout the duration of the match.

I arrived in plenty of time for the draw, thankfully the usual route to the venue is open again, saves using the A39. Only 13 fishing today, would have been nice for another 4 or 5 guys to fish, but either way we all hoped the bit of room would help boost weights......yeah okay, it's a PSV match!!

Mr Dearlove was on duty today and the pay-outs would be top 2 overall, top silvers and 2 sections (1 each bank). So on with the draw, I held back until the last 3 tickets were left, thankfully my usual peg 130 wasn't in the draw as a whole. The 3 pegs left in the tin were 110, 115 (golden peg) and 126, one for Will, one for me and one for Steve Burgess, I commented I was fishing for silvers so 126 would be my preference. I drew 115, a peg that is apparently a good peg, a peg I haven't fished before.
Will had 126 and Steve was down in the corner on 110.

I made my way to my peg to find I had Lee Waller on 114 and Pete Uzzell on peg 116. 2 guys who do ok at the venue.
I began to sort my kit out and mixed up my groundbait before 3 top kits were assembled.
A silvers rig for 11m in front, 0.14>0.10>16 F1 hook with solid 6/8 elastic.
A short meat rig for 2+2 in front to the left and to the right, this was on 0.18>0.14>16 B911 with silvers in mind I used solid 10/12 elastic,
Lastly a rig to use at topkit plus one section down each edge on my usual 0.20>0.16>16 B911x and 14/16 solid laccy....this gave me a 3lber, but I never tried it in anger.

Campbell peg 115
My choice of baits were worm and caster for the longer pole line (in between the tree reflections), hemp and 8mm meat fished for the skimmers and hopefully a tench or three, this would be at 2+2 distance, the left hand side would see hemp fed and the right just meat.
Oh, down the edges I fed 6mm pellets for meat over the top.

At the all-in (ish as I wasn't ready, along with a few others), I deposited 3 balls of groundbait and worm mix at 11m, a whole cup of meat and hemp went in to my left.
I began on the right, short meat line, in the first 20 minutes I had only 1 bite here so I went out over the groundbait with half a worm. Straight away I lost a foul hooked carp before a small skimmer of 3oz saved the blank..
Next drop in saw me connected to a carp, this took a while to get in on the light kit, but a 4lber was netted. A couple lost/bumped carp followed over the remainder of the first hour.

The 2nd and 3rd hours were a little better with around 6lb of skimmers and a 2lb tench duly landed, plus a couple carp both around 4-6lb. But bites were funny and I had resorted to fishing a whole worm, this had bought me a better bite when I had one. Smaller bits were getting pestered by roach and rudd.
Into the 4th hour and my short meat line gave me a couple 3lb skimmers/bream and I went for a walk as bites had began to tally off and I decided to chop another tin of meat up and top up my hemp.
I wandered down to peg 110 where Steve Burgess had apparently been bagging a good few fish by not fishing to the brambles, he reckoned on 80lb at that point.
Back to my peg and surveying the scene, only Mike Wilson was catching silvers, as he also intended and was likely to be ahead of me as it seemed like he'd been catching consistently and had a couple nice tench.
Lee on peg 114 was fishing down to the empty peg that is 113 and was beginning to catch a few after a very quiet 3hrs. On 116, Uzz was struggling and had only 2 or 3 carp and a couple skimmers.
Other peeps rumoured to be doing well were Mark Radford, despite him putting a float through one of his digits on his right hand. Chris Szakacs on peg 131 was catching a few, Adam Caswell was doing okay in fits and starts on my side of the spit (p128).
Further to my right it seemed Steve O'Toole was flying along too and I noted plenty of fish being netted from that area.

As we moved into the final hour my silvers had dried up and the carp had began to show, I had pulled out of 3 or 4 over the groundbait, but I was miles behind most people to warrant trying to catch up.
I came in on the shorter line hoping the skimmers had moved in and I was hopeful when I netted a 3lber from the right hand side, this was a false dawn as the carp turned up and that was my silvers action over for the day as I landed a few carp in the final 45 minutes despite trying to avoid them!!

As the all out was called I hoped I had enough silvers, I guessed maybe 25lb when Lee Waller asked what I had. But I knew Mike had been bagging a few throughout the day and chances are my quiet patches would be the telling factor.
I also reckoned I had 40lb of carp in the last 45 mins, all by accident, boosting my carp net to around 50lb, I'd have rather had 2 nice skimmers really.

I packed up my kit and had a chat with a few guys before the scales arrived at my peg.
When they did I had a look at the board and it showed a few 113/114lb totals, but Mike had put a shade over 30lb of silvers in his net, I knew I didn't had near that thanks to poor 1st and last hours.
My silvers did weigh 28lb 2oz, a nice net, but a sensible skimmer or tench away from winning the silvers purse. My accidental carp weighed 57lb 13oz, so around 45lb came in the last 45 mins or less. My total was 85lb 15oz, so at least it was a days fishing.

I went and loaded my kit before Steve weighed in from p110, Steve O'Toole was winning at this point with 121lb 8oz (knocked back 4lb). Steve's weighs totted up gave him 2nd spot with 119lb 4oz (he'd also chucked back 3 small skimmers...!!)

Results:
1st, p118, Steve O'Toole. 121lb 8oz
2nd, p110, Steve Burgess. 119lb 4oz
3rd, p131, Chris Szakacs. 114lb 1oz (section)
4th, p112, Mark Radford. 113lb 8oz (section)
5th, p126, Will Dearlove. 113lb 7oz

Silvers:
1st, p125, Mike Wilson. 30lb 3oz
2nd, p115, Lee Williams. 28lb 2oz
3rd, p119, Keith Ray. 13lb 9oz

Weigh Sheet
So it fished kind of fair, and in hindsight, given the peg, I should have fished for carp, but I wanted to try a few things out before next week when I am back on here (or Cary...want to avoid Cary) and want to fish for silvers again, I hope. In fact I didn't take enough of the right baits for a carp catching match, purposely, with next week in mind.
By the end of the match my peg was solid with carp, my long silvers line had plenty of them over the area, so I came away from it as I was feeling them as the bulk dropped through the water, the short lines were a bite a chuck....from carp!!

Until next time, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment