Sunday 30 August 2015

PSV Match, Shiplate Hawthorn. 30/08/15

Today a few of us had a match at Shiplate, on the Hawthorn canal lake.
It is a lake that I have done okay-ish on, I haven't come to terms with getting the most out of the middle couple of hours of any match I have fished on here, in fact I usually struggle and would be better off going for lunch up the road before returning for a few more carp!!

Anyways I arrived with loads of time left and sorted the trolley out, there were 2 other matches on the complex today, the open on the main lake saw a new match record of 203lb or so taken. I am not sure how the Westpool match went.
Back to the PSV match, the favoured pegs seem to be 1 and 15, though I fancied 11 to 13 to do well for no reason that pre-match saw a few fish up that area of the lake.
At the draw Brian Shanks drew favoured peg 1 and Adam Caswell on 15, most peeps agreed that Shanksy would win the match from there. I picked peg 3 and peg 6 wasn't picked but was left for the late arrival that was Steve Burgess.

I arrived at my peg to find I had Mark Radford for company on peg 4, he didn't like his pick, said he preferred my peg.

Shiplate Hawthorn peg 3
I went about sorting my kit out, a simple bait tray, 6 and 8mm pellets, hemp and 1/2kg of groundbait....oh plus my usual 8mm meat.
I set up a small method feeder as that's been doing well on the lake, but I struggle for such short casts and was hoping it wasn't to be the tactic to use,
4 topkits were put together, all on 0.18>0.14>b911 size 16.
The first was for down my left edge, tight in to the bank, where it was just over 2ft deep, meat over groundbait and hemp here.
The 2nd was for tight over at 13m, the contours across are crap, but I found around a foot of water here. Banded 8mm over cupped 6's as bait here.
The 3rd was for 2+2 distance in front fishing meat over hemp.
Lastly a shallow pellet rig for 2+2 line, where I expected some fish to come shallow late on in the match.

At the all in I deposited a cup of hemp and meat on the lines in front and down to my left before I went across with a tosspot full of 6mm pellets. After 5 minutes I found myself hooked, wrongly, to a carp, it came off after a couple minutes.
I did manage another, hooked correctly, across after 15 minutes, a nice 6lb fish.
After half an hour my meat and hemp line in front was fizzing so I went and dropped the rig in over the top, all I got was liners so I began to flick a few 6mm pellets over the top and the fizzing grew.
A look over the line with the shallow rig saw me into a lumpy carp 1st drop and after a couple minutes a fish pushing 11 or 12lb was residing in my keepnet. A smaller 3lber came a few minutes later before I spent 45 minutes without any more joy.
A couple fish down my left edge, including a 8lb mirror definitely were welcome additions.

So 2hrs in and I had around 30lb in the net plus a small skimmer. Brian on peg 1 seemed to be bagging a good few carp in this time and would be well ahead at this point I mused.
Mark Radford only had a couple small carp and a skimmer.
I then took another look on the deep rig and managed a 5lb fish, again before I sat fishless for another 30 minutes when a quick look across gave me a near 1lb chub.
It was now my 'blank period' as I went 2hrs from here on without a fish, only a lost foul hooker to show for my efforts.
A 15 minutes spent on the method feeder gave me a couple 3lb fish, but my casting was dire and I gave that up, especially as the bloody ducks were being a pain on my far line, so it was at this point I gave up on that area of my peg.
I also decided to feed solid balls of groundbait down my edge in a bid to add some active scent to the area.
All the while Shanksy was catching and Mark was beginning to catch a few on his short lines.

Into the last 90 minutes and as usually happens, my peg started to give me signs of life, though I couldn't seem to catch any shallow although they were present. It was my left edge that I concentrated on for the remainder of the match and luckily it gave up a few fish in spurts of 2's before a little wait, a few of these fish were nice 8lb fish, so going into the last 40 minutes my clickers showed 43lb and 23lb, so probably quite a way behind Brian and Mark still picking up a few fish I needed a few more in the last part of the match. No doubt a few others had been catching as we hadn't had any bank-walkers during the day!!
Indeed my last spell saw me put 3 more carp in the net making my clickers show around 82lb in total, the all out sounded and I really wasn't sure how I'd done, I reckoned Me and Mark had similar weights, but I had a couple lumpy fish which I hoped would help my cause. I reckoned Brian on peg 1, who'd been catching pretty much all day, was likely to win, but I had heard that Matt Challenger and Alan Healy both had a few carp each and it looked a tight contest.

I packed the gear up and took half back to the car before we found some scales and began the weigh in at peg 15 and worked back to peg 1.
Mr Caswell had a shade under 30lb, he reckoned no fish were there in numbers all day, yet he legged it to his hot peg!!
Ron Hardiman and Matt Taynton both had mid forty pound weights, though Matt had the best silvers net of the day (6lb 8oz).
Matt Challenger put 73lb on the board, then Ryan had 55lb and Alan 70lb. Mr Burgess had 30-something and then we saw Mark Radford had 71lb and a few ounces.
My turn to weigh and I was chuffed to plop a total of 90lb 2oz (inc 1lb 8oz silvers) on the scales.
Last up was Shanksy and his 22 carp, which I reckoned would go 110-120lb, but he said most were 2lbers, which to be fair are in bigger numbers on that peg. He said he had 80-something pound and he was not far wrong when his total was 80lb 7oz giving me a surprising win!!

Results:
1. Lee Williams (3) .... 90-2
2. Brian Shanks (1) .... 80-7
3. Matt Challenger (10) .. 73-4...
4. Mark Radford (4) .... 71-4
5. Alan Healey (7) .... 70-7
6. Ryan Radford (9) ... 55-12
7. Ron Hardiman (13) .. 45-6
8. Matt Taynton (12) ... 44-8
9. Steve Burgess (6) ... 32-13
10. Adam Caswell (15) .. 26-9


Silvers:

1st. Matthew Taynton with 6lb 8oz.


Weigh Sheet.

Oh and Steve took a pic of me with some of Brian's fish, lol, just for the PSV page/blog...

Me and some of Brian's fish.....!!! (pic pinched from PSV/Steve Burgess)
So again I had to endure my 2hr pointless, fishless spell again, but luckily the few early and late fish I had, which were of a better size than Brian's, definitely helped. I also nearly ran out of bait, after deciding to cut down on what I was taking, I ran out of hemp (1.5pts), I ran out of groundbait (1/2kg), I only had a handful of my pellets left of 6 pints. I only had a handful of meat left to from 2 tins. So next time I will resort back to my over-zealous self...!!

So next week I have, on Saturday, Pawlett's day out at Harescombe so plenty of bites expected and then on Sunday the PSV guys are (hopefully) at Trinity Waters on Woodland lake.
Until then, tight lines.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment