Friday 26 December 2014

Sedges Open match, Tile Lake, 26-12-14

Today's Boxing Day match at the Sedges was a sell-out 20 pegger with a good few venue regulars in attendance, I arrived early as everyone was entitled to a Bacon and Sausage Bap, courtesy of Mark Hembery.
After some lengthy chat, mostly about Xmas Day happenings, the draw was underway.

Now I fancied any peg other than he one I had last week, peg 30 or a peg without an island chuck which I think is peg 34 or 35(?). I waited until the end of the queue and plucked out peg 27, not too bad I thought, I had an island to cast to and pegs 124 to 128 have been doing ok recently  (but the whole venue is decent, so most can expect bites).
Peg 30 was taken by Paul Homewood and I had venue owner Jamie Cook on my right, peg 26. Martin Heard(p31) and Nick Selway(p40) took another 2 corner pegs and are definitely capable anglers.

None the less I had a job to do and I headed off towards my peg, wishing luck to Mark Hembery on peg 24 and Kev Crouch on peg 25.
I arrived at my peg and went about readying my kit. 2 feeder rods were assembled, 1 on the method, 1 on an inline maggot feeder.
2 pole rigs were attached to slack no14. elastics, both were on 0.16>0.14>B911 size 16's. One of which was for meat over dead maggots at 2+2 in the 10 o'clock direction . The second was for dead maggots over dead maggots and a sprinkling of wet micros. This would be fished at 13m in front.

Tile Lake, peg 27, Sedges Fishery
The weather was due to get windy and wet, for this reason I didn't set up a waggler rod.
Bait was live and dead maggots, micros for both feeder and long pole line and some 6mm meat. I did have some assorted hookbait pellets to band up on the feeder.

At the whistle I cupped almost a full pot of dead maggots on the short line, this also had a few cubes of meat in. On the long pole line went a whole cup of dead maggots and a small helping of micros to add some smell.

I began on the tip and spend 2 hours fishing this, switching between the method and maggot feeders, those 2 hours were dead and I only had 2 line bites. Jamie on peg 26 was in the same boat as was Mark on peg 24. Also the rain had come and it was bloomin freezing.
During this 2 hours I did re-bait the long line with a small helping of micros and maggots, plus I had been chucking 6 bits of meat on the short line every half an hour.
On peg 25, Kev Crouch had been catching a few skimmers and carp on both the waggler and feeder and was doing well, as was Paul Homewood up in corner peg 30. Nobody else had caught much, just the odd skimmer and carp were getting netted.
At around 12:15 I had my 1st fish on the feeder, a 1lb mirror was quickly netted. Jamie also had his 1st fish around this point, but looked easily 7lb+. A quick look on the short pole line saw me miss a couple bites, I thought they may have been line bites. So I came off here right away hoping any fish present would settle.

At 1pm I had to go to get some gloves from the car as my hands were numb, I generally don't suffer with cold hands, but the damp from the pole forced the issue.
Onto the long pole line and I had a bite right away and a fish was felt on the end, but after a few seconds the hook pulled, I think it was a skimmer but may have been a lifeless carp, I will never know. A small roach followed a few minutes later, and that was the end of action for that line.
It was at this point I decided to stick on the feeder until the last 45 minutes or so.
I stuck on the feeder for another hour or so and I did manage a couple more carp, one of 10lb-ish and another of 3lb.
Jamie had landed another and up on peg 30 was Paul happily catching regularly on the tip and pole, he looked like he was to win from what I could see. Kev Crouch (p25) had a slower spell but was in contention for a frame place. Only Nick on peg 40 was out of sight. A couple of guys had packed up by 2pm.
All the while I had been flicking a few bits of meat on the short line, plus another 1/2 cup of maggots went in at 1:30pm.

At 2:20 I took a look on the short line and I began getting an occasional movement on the float, soon it bobbed under and I struck into a fish, after a spirited scrap and 5lb fish was netted. Another biteless 10 minutes saw me spend 10 minutes back on the feeder, but no bite was forth coming, so with 10 minutes left I went back on the 2+2 line and after a missed bite I had a couple knocks on the float but something wasn't right so a lifted the float and hit into a carp.
After 5 minutes I hadn't seen the fish, it was staying deep and plodding.
The all-out sounded and I carried on playing the fish. It wasn't until 5 minutes after the horn that I landed the carp, though my brolly was an arse and made netting difficult. At around 12lb it was a worthwhile fish and I thought I'd ended up with about 30lb. 5 carp and 1 roach was my tally.

I began packing away while waiting for the scales. Pretty much everything was wet, I was cold and I had to keep moving to keep warm. The air wasn't cold, just the rain, apparently there had been snow further north towards Gloucester, so we'd missed that.

The scales were soon at me and Kev Crouch was leading the way with 49lb+ but only 20lb-ish was next best.
My 1oz roach was added to my carp total to give me 33lb 4oz. Not bad given how slow the day had been for most.
I didn't get to see what the next couple of pegs weighed, but peg 30 had given Paul Homewood 70lb+ for a comfortable win (it was presumed).

I made my way back to the car and loaded the kit and caught up with the scales, my weight was ok.
There were a couple mid-20lb nets before Nick Selway on peg 40 put 32lb on the boards.
I did manage £50 for winning my side of the lake, so a result in that respect.

Results:
Peg 30, Paul Homewood, 70lb+
Peg 25, Kev Crouch, 49lb+
Peg (?), Pete Cooke, 34lb
Peg 27, Lee Williams, 33lb 4oz (section 21-30)
Peg 40, Nick Selway, 32lb 12oz (section 31-40)

The silvers was won by default with 7lb 6oz and 2nd best was 7lb exactly.

So all in all it was another typical winter's day fishing, hoping for a few bites, and it was more trickier than most thought it would be.

Next up for me is a match on Sunday, not too sure where yet. Then it's back to work from Monday until Weds afternoon. I am hoping to squeeze a match in on Friday or Saturday next week before another match on Sedges Tile lake on the 4th.

Until next time, tight lines.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment