Saturday 20 December 2014

Sedges Open, Brick Lake, 20-12-14

A rare Saturday match saw me fish a 20 peg open on the popular Sedges Fishery's Brick Lake.
Recent form on this lake has shown that the out and out flyer is corner peg 10, with pegs 1 and 20 also worth a punt. Peg 11 is the final corner peg and wouldn't be the worst draw either.
However it has been tricky fishing for most with 15lb a decent weight at the moment from any peg. 10 to 12lb was expected to win the silvers pot. Overall 30lb should be a decent weight.

I arrived in plenty of time, with the lovely Denise offering cuppas, I gladly accepted. Others in attendance were Simon Ryall and his sidekick that is Jonny Page. Ron Stark, Jamie Parkhouse, Martin Heard and Rich Coles were also among the 20 of us.
After a bit of chat and banter, Jamie called the draw.
As many of you may be aware, I more often than not pick a peg between 12 and 14, but these pegs were the wind affected pegs. I fancied anywhere along the middle bank from pegs 3 to 8, offering me a day on the waggler with the wind from behind, also the skimmers usually show along the middle sections of Brick Lake.

Anyways back to the draw and I was late on in picking my number, Jamie Parkhouse had drawn peg 10, Rob Dodd peg 20 and Simon Ryall had drawn along the middle of the right-hand bank.
I managed to pluck peg 11, again I was up the far end of the right-hand side. Not a bad draw and the end bank offered me a chance of catching a few along the end bank.
The waggler rod was going to stay in the holdall as I would not be able to fish it and feed effectively with the stiff breeze that was blowing towards me and a little from my left to right!! Ggggrrr.


Brick Lake peg 11
I started up by setting up a maggot feeder, generally based on the idea to fish towards the central rope and slightly to the right. There had been a few carp boshing in that area all morning.
I then set up 3 pole rigs, the same 3 rigs as I had used last Sunday on Tile Lake.
So it was a carp rig and silvers rig to fish at 10m in front, which coincides with end of the slope that heads towards the end bank.
My 3rd rig was to fish the same distance towards the end bank, but the bottom was a touch uneven and the wind was an arse, so I came around 1/2m off the reeds to avoid snagging them in the gusts.

For company I had Pete Cooke and Jamie Cook on pegs 12 and 13 respectively. Opposite was Paul Homewood on peg 9 and Jamie Parkhouse on p10 (good angler, best peg).

Bait was simple today, 2pts of maggots, some F1 groundbait and a few micros and corn.
The all in was sounded and I potted some maggots and a few bits of corn in along the end bank area where I had around 4.5ft of water, possibly too deep.
3 small balls of groundbait and micros were potted in the open water swim.

I began on the feeder and found myself getting liners, but I spent the next 70 minutes waiting for the tip to pull round as there was fish activity around the area I was fishing the feeder. But despite trying various tactics, different hookbaits and hooklength lengths I remained fishless.
I wasn't too concerned though as it seemed that only Jamie on peg 10 had caught, he'd had 3 or 4 plus a couple lost carp in this period of the match.

At around 11:20 I took a look on the open water pole line and was immediately rewarded with a couple roach and blade skimmers. Pete on peg 12 hadn't had a fish, but had  lost a carp on the feeder when it snagged him. Jamie C on p13 had a couple small silvers.
12  o'clock saw me take a look on the end bank swim, so my double maggot hookbait was lowered into the swim and the float carried on going and my elastic began to come out as the fish made it's bid for freedom.
A minute passed and I felt the hook wasn't in the right place, so I took things gingerly. I got down to my topkit and the hook came out, bringing back a nice scale as a reward. Bollocks.
A few minutes passed before another bite saw a small roach swung in. Then I hooked carp number 2, another foul hooked fish. I re-fed and went back on the feeder.

Between 1 and 2pm I sat fishless on the feeder while Jamie Parkhouse kept catching a few, so was Jon Page on peg 8. The fish were still in the area, around 2/3rd of the way to the central rope, I was getting liners and I knew that had I been able to fish the wag then I may have turned a few liners into fish netted.
2pm came when I hooked another fish, which seemed properly hooked, but after a few minutes it came adrift and as it turned out the maggot had folded over the hook point. Bugger.
10 minutes later I was into another carp, which I did actually land, it was a lump around 10lb and made the score Lee v Carp, a comeback looking one,  3-1 lead to the fish!!
I had a 2nd carp right away, though it was a smaller 4lb fish, I then bumped a couple so I re-fed and fished another spot while the bait settled.
With 30 minutes to go I landed my 3rd and 4th carp of the day, plus a nice 4oz roach.

The last 30 minutes was quiet and the all out was soon upon us.
I packed my kit away and managed to catch up with the scale after 3 or 4 people had weighed, a couple dnw'd and John Page had just put 49lb on the board to take the lead, I said to him that I had around 20lb, maybe 25lb.
Paul Homewood put 18lb or so on the scales before Jamie Parkhouse, from peg 10, amassed over 90lb. A nice day's fishing any time of the year. He'd win comfortably.
I was next to weigh and my silvers weighed a whole 14oz before my 29lb 10oz of carp gave me a combined total of 30lb 8oz.
A few dnw's and weights up to 13lb followed before we arrived at corner peg 20, Rob Dodd had plundered his swim to take 2nd spot with 52lb-ish of mostly carp.
Les (Jamie's dad), bless him had a couple of blond moment with his math, forgetting to add 10lb onto a couple weighs, so when I took a pic of the weigh sheet for this blog, he asked if he'd become famous. I replied, 'no, but I will mention you', lol. He's a nice guy, go easy on him if he had a 'moment' should he add your weight up a shade out.

So onto the results:
1st - Jamie Parkhouse, peg 10, 90lb 13oz
2nd - Rob Dodd, peg 20, 52lb 13oz
3rd - John Page, peg 8, 49lb 5oz
4th - Lee Williams, peg 11, 30lb 8oz
5th - Paul Homewood, peg 9, 18lb

1st silvers went to John Lacey from peg 4 with 11lb 5oz
2nd silvers was from peg 15, Martin Heard - 7lb 2oz

So I managed to pick up £25 for winning my section, so not a bad day really.


weigh sheet
If I could have fished the waggler, well been able to feed the area I wanted to fish the waggler, I may have had a few more carp, they seemed to be tacking the mick somewhat, all if's and but's though!!

Next up for me is Clevedon's Xmas match on Acorn Paddock lake, I am hoping the wind calms down considerably!!

Until next time, tight lines.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment