Sunday 18 May 2014

MFS Two Dayer, Viaduct Fishery, 16th and 17th May 2014 - Day One.

Friday and Saturday of this week so myself, and 30 other Match Fishing Scene members embark on a couple days fishing at the prolific Viaduct Fishery. Half  would fish the 1st day  on Cary the 2nd  on Campbell and vice versa.
With lots of venue regulars fishing it was going to be hard to do well in the most part, as although reasonably local to me, I rarely fish the venue.

The Friday saw me on Cary, I had hoped for some nice skimmer fishing but when I pulled peg 86, flyer on the far River Cary bank. I knew I had to fish for carp. 86 has been in pretty good form recently with it winning matches with weights to nearly 300lb including lumps to over 20lb.
With the sun shining and temps in the low 20 degrees the fish probably had spawning on their mind, if not for the next couple days then defo in the coming week.
The surface of the lake was black with fish, especially around pegs 88 around to 94 area, it looked good for mugging fish, not something I do myself.

Cary Peg 86
Bait wise I had 8mm meat, hemp, 6mm pellet and some 8mm pellets.

I set up a lead rod for banded 8mm pellets, a pellet waggler for pellets.
I also set up the pole to fish 2 meat lines, one at 6m in front and one at 5m down to my left in the edge, but other than one skimmer I never had a bite, so no more on them.

The match started at 11:30 and I chucked out the lead and waited, waited a bit longer and before I knew it I had spent nearly 2 hours watching the chap on peg 88 catching a few fish on his lead set up. plus Roly opposite him land a few mugged fish. Other than that it was only the odd fish caught, but I could just about hear that Chris Fox and Fred Roberts on pegs 74 and 77 were hooking a few fish.

At around 1:30 I had my 1st fish, this came on the lead and was around 13lb, this was followed up by a couple 3lb fish.
Another blank half hour saw me try the waggler, this bought a run of fish to 18lb, I was feeding 6mm pellets to try and get a response from the skimmers and roach, hoping they'd attract the carp.

By now it was about 3pm and I had possibly 50lb in the net, slightly less than Ron on peg 88 and a similar weight to the guy on peg 85.
A look on the lead saw me have a couple more fish before a switch back to the float saw me add odd carp to my nets. This is how I spent the remainder of the match.

I ended up with around 18 carp, but the majority were not the usual Viaduct stamp, with the majority being of 3-5lbers, I guessed I had maybe 125lb, well that's what my clickers showed, plus a few silvers. I had pulled out of maybe 7 fish, some were definitely foul hooked as I bought back a few scales.
It looked like the fish had moved further down the lake with the pegs from 81 down to 74 doing well.
I was sure I had more than pegs 85 (just as he had a decent stamp of carp) and 81, but unsure what Ron on 88 had caught as he had better sized fish. So I was doing ok in my section.

I packed up and waited for Steve and Sarah to come along with the scales and a brief look say that the diagonal lodge lake bank had been tricky with a few 60-80lb nets and one of 110lb. Though Steve M. on p99 had 50lb of silvers (mostly skimmers).
I went and saw peg 88 weigh and saw Ron put just over 98lb on the board, I began to think I had over estimated my catch.
Anyway, my silvers were 4lb and ounces, before my three well spread nets weighed a combined total of 137lb and a few ounces, giving me a total of 142lb 3oz which won me the section.

Further around the lake, peg 81 had 143lb 13lb, Fred on p77 had 199lb 4oz and Chris Fox had 175lb 12oz from his peg 74. So I was 4th on the lake overall. This turned out to be 7th on the day, I think, with Dan White bagging nearly 300lb from peg 110 on Campbell to take the win ahead of Fred and Foxy. Ben Hagg had 169lb from p132 opposite the winner.

Results:
1: Dan White 291.11. Peg 110
2: Fred Roberts 199.04 peg 77
3: Chris Fox 175.12 peg 74
4: Ben Hagg 169.06 peg 132
5: S. White 143.13 peg 80
6: Nick Merry 143.12 peg 116

Silvers

1: Steve M 50.07 peg 99
2: Alex Murray 45.12 peg 123




So it was a decent day and although I struggled for around half of the match, I was pleased with my weight and the section win. Maybe I should  have tried mugging at 16m with a long line.....nah. Maybe I should have fished for silvers in the 1st hour or so? All hindsight.







So day 2 would see me on Campbell, I was hoping for anywhere between peg 123 and 127.















No comments:

Post a Comment