Sunday 18 May 2014

MFS Two Dayer, Day 2, Campbell Lake, 17.05.14

Saturday saw me fishing Campbell lake, I was hoping for anywhere between 123 and 127 as I didn't feel the fish would be along the car park end of the lake in the same numbers as on Friday when the 2 end pegs put over 450lb on the scales between them.

At the draw I pulled out peg 116, not the best peg, 115 being a better option as it's a good few metres further out in the lake. Anyways I had to try and catch some fish.

Campbell peg 116.
Opposite me on peg 125 I had venue regular and good all round chap, Fred Roberts.

I set up a pellet wag and a lead rod for around 25m out in front.
I also set up a few pole rigs, one for 6m and meat, one for banded 8mm pellets at 14m.
I also had a shallow rig and a margin rig, but other than 2 tench on the margin rig I wont mention these.
Bait was simple 8mm and 6mm pellets, hemp and 8mm meat.

I started on the waggler, then switched to the lead, while the pole lines settled
I had to wait an hour or so for my 1st fish, in that time Fred had mugged a good few fish and the welsh angler on 118 had began to land most fish he hooked by fishing back to the empty peg of 117, the fish could be seen and heard down that edge. Peg 119 had done ok too.

Peg 115 had to wait 20 minutes more than me for his 1st fish.

I wont go into much detail now about how it went, but I struggled, pulled out of a few fish and got broke a couple times, lost a rig from the elastic connector and generally seemed to be going round in circles and not adding much to my nets, p115 seemed to be struggling more so, and it was a matter of picking fish up on the lead, wag and shorter line. It wasn't until the last hour that the fish arrived when I maybe added 8 carp to my net.

At the weigh in I guessed I had 70lb, peg 115 had tipped back and 118 (Neil Morgan) had bagged up and I said he'd done 200lb+ (I was a little out, he weighed 180lb...plenty of smaller fish).
Fred had weighed 190lb and the angler (Martin Fisher) on 123 had 73lb of silvers,

My silvers and carp combined weighed a 'lowly' 90-odd pounds. I am not sure where I finished, it wasn't last on the lake and Cary had produced a few lower weights too.
The lake was won by Fred and the overall match was won from my peg on Friday, peg 86, with Pete Bailey weighing in 283lb 11oz.

Results:
1: Pete Bailey 283.11 peg 86
2: Roy Worth 199.04 peg 81
3: Fred Roberts 192.00 peg 125
4: Ken Rayner 191.03 peg 94
5: Neil Morgan 181.00 peg 118
6: Mark Poppleton 167.05 peg 112

Silvers

1: Martin Fisher 73.01
2: Dan White 40.00 peg 97

Overall it wasn't the best draw on Campbell, but I enjoyed myself.
It was a great 2 day gathering and the banter was great and I met some really nice guys, but it did show my lack of venue knowledge and my reluctance to mug fish, I should really get myself over there more often.

My next blog will be the PSV match on Trinity Woodlands, which was today (18/05/14).
My next match is next Sunday at Landsend with PSV.

Cheers.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment