Sunday 8 September 2013

Sedges 2-Day Festival 31st Aug and 1st Sept.

So what has happened since I last wrote? This blog will be from last weekend.

Well last weekend I fished the 2-day Festival at The Sedges fishery, with 1 day on Tile Lake and the 2nd on Brick, the idea is to get as few section points (ie 1st or 2nd each day) as possible with weight the secondary factor.

So on the Saturday(31st Aug) I arrived at the lakes pretty early as I was unsure how many were 'in', I was prepared for 40, when it turned out that there was only 19. I had all my kit and bait for both lakes, but it turned out we were on Tile first then Brick on the Sunday.

Anyways, after a little chit chat the draw was made, the un-fancied pegs were 29, 28, 27 and at a push 26 as there was, or hadn't, been any wind on that section of water for a few days at least. Corner peg 30 was left out as it is an iffy peg anyways, Pegs 21, 22, 24 and 40 were seen as the pegs to draw, although 33 and 34 were decent draws as they always produce.
There were 3 sections of 5 and one of 4, payouts were for sections and lake winner each day. Plus the overall pot, the winner taking around 400 notes plus a voucher for Somerset Angling.

Into the draw bag goes my left hand, out pops peg 27....ball cocks. I also had the Clapp twins and Mike Iacono in my section, so I was facing an upwards task from the off.
We I set up the usual, pellet wag, method and lead rods, paste rig for 6m, shallow long pole and meat/margins. As there was no silvers pot, no rigs were set-up specifically with them in mind.
There were loads of fish in front of my section, but we all knew the fish would push down to the low 20's pegs in the wind.....and they did.

To cut a long story short I had a carp 1st chuck on the wag(1st to catch as usual), then nothing for around 2.5 hours, then I had a carp on the method, then half hour after that I had one on the pole shallow, they were there, but not having the feed or bait properly as the water was mostly calm. I did lose 2 foul hooked fish which felt lumpy.
After around 4hrs I set up a whip for fishing shallow for the roach and rudd, I gave this 20 mins and had around 3lbs, but wasn't going to win anything. So I sat out on the pole and wag for nothing else in the last 90 minutes. My 3 carp weighed around 9lb and the bits around 3lb for 3rd in section and no chance of a payout on the day or in the overall payout after day 2.

Phil Clapp on my left (p28) only had a small carp all match and a few little silvers. Mike on end peg 29 landed 6 carp (I think) during his 6hrs. Keith Clapp on p26 had carp in spells during the day and had around 50lb for the section win very comfortably.

The lake was won from peg 23 (I think) with Jason King catching from the off. Vic Bush was on corner peg 20 and was 2nd in section. The fish were definitely on the wind. There were some decent weights on the far bank.

Day two saw me arrive at the draw with only 17 fishing, so 3 sections of 4 and 1 of five were how it began. I said I wanted pegs 18 or 8, into the draw bag goes my hand and out comes peg 8, again there were loads of fish in the area and i was happy-ish with my draw. But  I had the toughest section again? I had Eric Fouracre, Jamie Cook and overall lake winner from the Saturday Jason King in  my section. So there was 2 section winners and a section 2nd  in my 4 peg section. So my only chance of a pick up was to win my section or the lake.

Peg 8, Sedges Brick Lake


I set up a pellet wag, a pole shallow rig, a pole deep rig, a margin rig(unused) and a small groundbait feeder rod.
On the whistle I chucked the wag out towards the rope and had a fish first chuck, again I was the first to put one in the net. Sadly that was it for me.
The wind picked up again and pushed the fish across during the match and my section generally struggled. I had 3 carp and a few pounds of silvers, but couldn't get anything to work properly. My 3 carp went 12lb-ish. Eric to my right had 3 carp also, but these were twice the size of mine, he also had a good few skimmers. Most of his fish came to either his paste line  and worms closer in. He did have 1 carp on the wag late on.
Jamie on my left landed 6 or so carp, but he struggled too and on end peg 10 was Jason, he also had 6 carp, but I never got to see the weights at the end of the day. I wanted to get home to watch the footy (sadly United lost...lol). The weights were very up and down, but the 4 anglers opposite my section seemed to do best, they were Vic on peg 11(corner), Martin Heard next to him, then Keith Clapp , then Mike Iacono. They all seemed to be catching carp reasonably consistanly during the day, but no big weights were forth-coming.

Overall for the Festival were:
1st Eric Fouracres  with 3 points and 90lb 12oz
2nd Mike Iacono with 3pts and 88lb 8oz
3rd Jamie Cook, 3pts and 79lb 1oz
4th was Vic Bush with 4 points and 122lb 10oz.

There is always next year, but again a well run match.

Stay Safe

Lee



No comments:

Post a Comment