Thursday 29 August 2013

Since my last post.....

Things have been busy-ish for me recently, with the school holidays and stuff taking up time, I have failed in keeping this blog thingy up.

So a quick (I hope) summary of my recent goings on.(and have just realised I never published my Avalon write-up).

I had a pleasure session up Durleigh last week, it was on the 20th, I fished up on the Lodge Bank, a swim along the Lawns area was ok, I mostly fished the 3m whip only for around 4.5 to 5hrs. It was a fish a chuck. But I did have a long pole line with balled groundbait in case any skimmer/bream/carp arrived as a few better fish were mooching on the surface.
I filled the best part of the bottom 3 rungs of my net with roach, rudd, perch and small skimmers, all to around 12oz. I had at least 70lb of fish, I struggled to lift the net, and had to tip over half away before a quick snap-shot of some of my catch.
I found the best bait for the better stamp of fish was corn, even the billy perch took a liking to it.
The long (13m) pole line bought better fish, but nothing substantial, and I was getting pestered by whip fish, even 3oz roach were taking double corn or big lumps of paste on a size 10 hook. That was hard work. So pretty much stayed on the whip. I was catching 12" deep in around 2.5ft of water, but I did shallow up to 6" deep and found a better stamp.
It really was hectic. I fed 6pts of hemp and 2 of caster and 2 tins of corn.

My swim...


A few of my catch

After that day I had an evening match on the canal lake on Sedges, the last of the summer. I landed just over 29lb and 4th in the match. It was hard work though. Jamie Cook won it I think with around 50lb.
 
The Saturday just passed had me fishing the last of Clevedon's Saturday Series. This time on Acorn's Top Lake. I had no chance of getting anywhere in the series, but it was an afternoons fishing,
This turned out pants for some, the fishery was struggling with oxygen levels and had pumps and aerators on to try and up the water quality.
Anyways I drew what was peg 10 for the match, right on the corner on the road bank (I would not have even pegged it), I had the aerator in front of me at around 8m and the irrigation pump on the main lake behind me making a hell of a noise and blowing diesel fumes at my pegs. Thankfully this was only on for around 2hrs, but long enough to make my head ache and eyes water.
Rod Wotton was opposite me, he was less than pleased too.
 
Anyways I struggled for bites in my 4 baited areas(paste line at 10m, micros line at 8m and caster line at 8m, plus to my left on the top kit), I did have maybe 4lb of bits and a single carp by the time I tipped back with over half an hour left. Rod had struggled, but managed 4 or 5 carp while I packed up. He caught to the end bank, and had a chance of 1st or 2nd in the series.
I couldn't fish my end bank properly due to it constantly being full of crap, I cleared it with a pole cup every so often, but it only stayed clear for a few minutes. There were odd carp taking bits off the scum, but no numbers of fish.
My open water swims only gave odd bits to soft pellet over micro. Maybe the fish didn't want to be near the aerator.
A bit further up the lake Brian Slipper and Kev Perry caught a few, I couldn't see the other 6 and don't know how they did.
The results saw Mark Bromsgrove win with 53lb, Bri Slipper was 2nd with 38lb, Kev Perry had  27lb for 3rd.
Mark won the series and £100, he had 6 points from his best 3 results. Good fishing.
Rod was second in the series with 7 points.
The noisy neighbour on the main lake
Duff swim for my match.
 
 
On Sunday I fished a match up Durleigh with (or should I say for) the PSV guys, for a match against Frys. I turned out to be the sole PSV representative.
I drew peg 16, which was about 5yrds from where I fished in the week.
To sum up my match, I wasted 2hrs on the tip for a 4lb bream and a small hybrid, after the pegs either side of me had bream. The other 4hrs was spent on the whip for 24lb of roach, the perch and rudd never showed, possibly due to the wind blowing into my bank and the cloudy weather (it was blowing towards the far bank in the week, in the sun).
I weighed 29lb 8oz and was leading for the first 6 or 7 pegs. But after that there were a couple 30lb+ weights and I think a 48lb catch won it. But it was decent fishing again. I should have stayed on the whip, I would have had maybe 35lb+ if I had stuck with it.


I had less fish on corn (as expected) and only fed 1/2pt caster and less than a pint of hemp, but they were not responding as well, probably due to the wind....
 
I had a 3hr pleasure session on Tuesday evening, on Walrow Snags pond, I took my daughter with me, I had wanted to catch bream on the pole, but alas they never showed, but I had a few silvers. My daughter had loads of roach, rudd and perch on the whip and caught more than me (as expected). But I enjoyed fishing in over 14ft of water, it made a change. I shall have another go next week maybe.
 
 
Next up is the 2 day match/festival on Sedges this weekend. Maybe I will do ok....let's hope so.
 
Take care and tight lines.

Lee







 




No comments:

Post a Comment