Thursday 12 April 2018

Pawlett Match, Sedges Brick and Tile, Silvers only. 8-4-18

The yearly Silvers only match at Sedges usually gets a decent crowd and this year was no different as nearly all of the 40 pegs were taken. Some decent anglers fishing, including the in-form John Fuidge, who has been picking up the wins in the silvers matches and payouts here (plus elsewhere) for the last few months.

The weather was set dry, yay, but mild, which would no doubt attract the carp into feeding. The last couple of years I have probably had over 80lb of them during the corresponding match. I doubted that it would be any different.
I arrived for the draw in reasonable time and didn't get to chat as much as usual, it was the 'hello and how are you?' only chatter before the basket was attacked by a flurry of hands.
I waited til near the end, behind Mr Fuidge, whom I commented 'which peg are you ganna win from?', he smiled and drew peg 17.....nice silvers peg. Me, well I pulled peg 28 on Tile, not where I fancied as Brick would be hard to beat now the temps are a little better. Plus I am less confident on Tile, I actually think my last time on here was around a year ago.

Off to my peg and setting up I thought I was the last angler on that bank as peg 29 was empty.
A small feeder rod was set up for around 30m in front.
3 pole rigs, a DT Floats' Pencil for my left edge and over my longer lines shallow, I did set up an F1/Silvers float for the same line but it fell off the connector with the plummet attached so there is a nice float, 4ft of line and a plummet in front of peg 28 somewhere at 2+2 distance.
The next rig was for 2+3 in front where I would feed micros and 4mm pellets, the float was an RBS open water in 0.6g. I had a band on this rig, but I never picked it up all match.
The next rig was the same as the above but with a normal hook, Guru F1 pellet in size 18 my choice. This was for an area at 14m where I would be feeding groundbait and caster.
My side tray had micros, 4s, maggots, caster and some expanders. Plus a handful of  (unused) 6mm pellets for the band.

I did plumb an area off to my left in peg 29, but 15 or 20 minutes after the draw Rob Dodd turned up for the end peg advantage, he doesn't need any help, he is a tidy silvers angler.
On my right I had Mark Watts on peg 27. I could just about make out Paul Homewood opposite me but I could see Shawn Kittridge over on peg 39.

On the all-in I cupped 4 decent balls of groundbait on the long line and a pot of micros short, plus I threw some casters down to my left.
I began on the feeder for half an hour, only a couple knocks in that time, but Rob had maybe 5lb on the pole. Shawn too had began well.
It was around an hour for my 1st fish, a skimmer on the long pole line, this was around 6oz, but it was very slow going and it seemed that only Rob and Shawn were catching.
Oh I did have a carp on single maggot, I got it in, perhaps 16lb. It is great how much you can pull with light kit and not get busted.
A couple more carp for me, and Mark and even Rob got in on the act....the difference being that Rib would be getting silvers between the carp.
Mark struggled all match and ended up at the end of the match with 3 small silvers, so unlucky him.

I kept trying shallowing my rig as I was getting liners and bumped a couple foul hookers but to no avail. At the halfway stage I managed a proper skimmer of 2.5lb or so from my short line on expander, that was a one off, except for the odd rogue carp.
A switch to the feeder so I could have a cuppa surprised me when a couple of skimmers of 1lb each came within minutes of each other.

I would love to say that the last few hours were super productive but they were not, pretty much the whole lake switched off and except the odd eel and solitary skimmer it was the occasional roach occupying us all, well except Rob on peg 29 who despite losing a couple lumpy foul hooked skiimers was still putting the odd smaller one in the net.
The last hour did see me put another 1lb skimmer to my tally, caught down my left edge. Then a couple roach and a couple 6oz skimmers ended my match.
I reckoned that I had around 11lb and Doddy perhaps 19 to 20lb after his spurt in the opening hour.

I packed my kit up and waited for the scales. By the time pegs 21 to 67 had weighed there were several 8lb nets. My hard earned catch weighed in at 13lb 4oz. Quite happy with that really but I knew Rob had more and my 19lb 12oz guess was closer than his 15lb guess....he had 19lb 4oz.
I went and loaded my car before following the remainder of Brick's weigh in.
A quick look at the weight on my lake and Pete Cooke had 17lb 9oz from peg 38 that put me 3rd on the lake, happy with that.
A glance at the weights on Brick showed several double figure weights including 23lb 15oz to Kev Crouch on peg 7 and Rich Coles had 19lb 4oz from peg 5.
We were round on peg 13 to see Giffy have a nice net of fish which weighed 19lb exactly before Derek Beards had 20lb and that man John Fuidge was last to trouble the scales with a net of fish including a couple tench and a crucian, his winning net was 27lb 1oz. He did say he lost and foul hooked well over a dozen decent skimmers and that he could not figure the fish out and how to get them feeding better. But he had done enough.

Results:
1st, John Fuidge, 27-01. P17
2nd, Kev Crouch, 23-15. P7
3rd, Derek Beards, 20-09. P14




So a tricky day and I never got the lake I wanted in Brick but I was personally pleased with my weight and considering I didn't expect Tile to beat Brick.
Next up at the moment is the next Acorn Series round next weekend, no plans as yet for this weekend. But I bought me a ZT Pro so perhaps hook tying is the agenda.....that or Todber on Saturday.

Until then take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment