Sunday 13 March 2016

Pawlett Match, Avalon, 13-3-16

A nice sunny day, kind of warm and expectations were high as 20-odd of us sorted our kit out prior to the draw. Hardly a breeze in the air, though that would change on and off during the day, a cold east/northeasterly would pick up on the whistle.
My work collegue and friend, Paul 'the corn' Berry was fishing his 1st match with us and would be targeting the silvers, as was my original intention, peg dependant.

After the usual chit chat, the usual banter and the drawing of the short walk pegs for 1 or 2 guys was done it was down to the draw, I fancied an early number peg  upto peg 6 or 23, 24, 25 and 35 to 39.
I waited until towards the back end of the queue and with 4 pegs left I pulled out peg 32, on the road side of the small island, not too bad, but defo not a peg I expected to win either the silvers or carp.
But off I went and was soon sorting my kit out. I had Mike West to my left on peg 33 and Nigeln Hull.
Right edge....

Front View


Left edge...

I wont bore you too much, but a waggler was set up and was fishless, a silvers rig for topkit  in front, the same rig would be for 11m off slightly left and again at 14,5m to the right in the direction of the gap between the islands. The long lines would be for maggots and casters over a little groundbait, the short line was for caster feed only.
A margin rig was set-up for 11m down to my right and would also suit for top-kit length right next to my platform.
Lastly the used feeder/lead was assembled for close against the island, which can be snaggy but should hold a few carp.

I began on the feeder and it was 3/4 of an hor before I had any indication, a foul hooked carp was momentarily hooked and I came back with a scale, so I tried the waggler, but the wind got up and rendered that pointless. Back on the feeder and a few more hooklengths were lost. I lost a total of 14 during the day, even casting around 6ft off the island, hey ho.
After 2hrs I had a look on the pole long, both lines never gave me a fish, in fact both long lines gave me a total of 3 roach throughout the day.
In on the topkit with caster and a few little perch, rudd and roach were netted, I even managed to miss the keepnet with a couple roach!! numpty.
Back on the feeder and a skimmer was soon in the landing net, a nice 1.5lb fish, this was a false dawn as nothing was forth coming.

2pm soon came around and Mike had a couple skimmers, Nigel hadn't had a bite and generally most were struggling except Mike Davis and Jamie Cook, only odd carp were getting caught.
I could also see Paul Berry catching a few nice skimmers and looked like sewing that pot up already.
At 2:30pm I looked down the edge with meat over some dead maggots, and by surprise my float went under and a 4lb carp was landed, next drop another 4lber was netted and low and behold another similar stamp fish was landed, so 3 carp in 3 drops in 10 minutes, bargain. That wasn't to last.

The next 1hr 45 minutes were dire and I managed just two roach on my short line before I decided the last 20 minutes would be spent down the right edge. I did hook another, but it broke my hooklength on a piece of wood just off the empty peg 31. That was my action for the day.
So not really productive, and again we had some wind, a cool north/north-easterly didn't help sport for sure, but it was very nice to actually fish in shirt sleeves for most of the day.

Results:
1st - Jamie Cook, 64-13, peg 26
2nd - Mike Davies, 44-14, peg 37
3rd - Vic Bush, 42-03, peg 6
4th - Steve Fouracre, 33-12, peg 1 (section)
5th - Eric Fouracre. 25-11, peg 39 (section)

Silvers
1st - Paul Berry, 17-08, peg 13
2nd - Jim Jenner, 9-02, peg 38

Weights.....
Next week I have the final round of the Avalon Teams of 3. our Young Ones side sit 2nd behind the Sedges trio, they have the league sewn up barring a miracle, and we are sitting ok in second spot, so something to play for, and I am hoping to draw on some fish.......really hoping!!

Until then, take care.
Lee


P.S. Still taking names and deposit for my Summer Series, weights look like they will be cock on and it should be a good craic, will allow peeps to have as many 'sub anglers' as needed....why not pair up?


No comments:

Post a Comment