Sunday 19 July 2015

Pawlett Match, Sedges Fishery. 19-07-15

31 fished today, so another decent turn out. We would have had a few more if it wasn't for other commitments. But The Sedges is a great fishery and usually provides decent sport for those who work at their fishing.
It was also Blind-Pairs day, with no money for the top pair, just a trophy they'll get at club presentation. 1 peg on Brick would be paired with 1 peg from Tile.

I arrived, after my bacon butty, with half an hour until the draw. A fair bit of banter and chat occurred and Denise made plenty of cuppas (thanks again from us all). When it got to the fishing, we all knew that Tile would be almost certain to win the match overall but if silvers were the target Brick lake would be preferred as a 40-60lb net of skimmers (mostly) would surely be caught.
I wanted Brick, based purely on the fact that I don't seem to get on that well with Tile.
I wouldn't mind any peg from 6 up and around to 15 on Brick. 38, 39, 40, 21, 22 and 26 on Tile would be very nice draws I thought to myself.

The 9am draw was done and I picked my ball around halfway along the rabble and wasn't best impressed with peg 23 (I haven't ever been lower than 25), especially as Withers had suggested I draw for him and vice versa, we didn't and he plucked peg 39 (jammy wan#er..). With Paul 'squidgy' Squires getting yet another corner peg (p10) and Eric Fouracre getting peg 9 for the second time in a few days, that lake looked good for a result up on those pegs, but Phil Clapp had drawn cock on for the silvers with peg 15, that would surely sort out that 'pot'.
On Tile, pre-match favourite, fishery-owner Jamie Cook had drawn well with peg 38, Mark Sweeting had drawn 40 and Steve Fouracre looked well set on peg 26.
For company I had big Nick Selway on peg 22, he had Rob Dodd on flyer 21 to his left.
From my vantage point I could see pegs 32, 35, 38 and 39 on the bank I expected to be better than our due to the wind likely to be switching and blowing over and down the lake just off centrally (left to right as I looked).

Sedges Tile peg 23
 
I set my kit up, a method feeder, a pellet waggler, a margin rig for the pole, a shallow pellet rig, a rig for 2+1 in front with the same rig ok anywhere in front. Lastly a rig for off bottom using meat.
Bait was 8mm meat, 6 and 8mm meat, hemp and some groundbait and pellets for on the method feeder.
My silvers baits stayed in the bag as Brick would provide better silvers nets.

At the all in I cupped a big pot of meat and hemp short and down my left edge, a big pot of 6mm pellets went in at 13m and I fired some 8mm pellets out for the waggler.
I began on the method feeder and waited......in fact it was nearly 2 hours before my 1st carp (I had a baby skimmer on the feeder after 20 mins), this carp looked rather close to the 15lb net limit so I went along and weighed it, it went 13lb 12oz but looked larger if a little empty. I had already decided against the waggler as the wind was all wrong and presentation was dire.

So after a couple hours I knew Jamie (p38), Kev Crouch (p35) and Kev Lock (p32) all had plenty of fish. Nick on peg 22 hadn't had anything, Rob on peg 21 was struggling too. It was only Steve Fouracre on peg 26 that was catching along my bank.
A short spell fishing meat at 3ft deep and at 13m in front gave me only roach, so that too was a non goer, the wind wasn't great for this either.

Into the 3rd and 4th hours and I had a few skimmers on the 2+1 line but there didn't seem like many carp were feeding. They were for Jamie though and he was thoroughly bagging up and was probably over 100lb already. Crouchy too was, it looked, not miles off the pace. James Withers wasn't doing great on peg 39 but did have a few carp from various methods.
Nick was struggling still, but Doddy was starting to amass a few carp from along the end bank.
I did manage a couple lumps between 8 and 10lb on the feeder, but the pole was only giving indications from small silvers, the long lines were forgot about and I would only try on the left edge and 2+1 in front for the last 2 hours, plus the method feeder.

Between 3 and 4pm I had a nice spell, catching a nice fish of around 7lb from my margin, but this was the only carp caught there. I had another decent fish on the method, a ghostie about 6lb, plus a couple 2lbers. James  (p39) had a run of fish down to his left on the topkit, 4 carp I think......Jamie was boring me as he didn't seem to stop catching...!!
The last 30 mins saw me try to pack up my pole and rigs and stay on the feeder, which I did manage with 3 interruptions by small carp including a 4lber hooked just before the whistle.

The all out was called and my clickers showed 63lb including the 13lber I had put back after weighing. I knew that'd be not great.
A few guys from further down passed and said they had struggled with only Steve Fouracre doing well and admitting to 100lb.

I put my kit by the car, ate a banana and followed the scales for the first 3 pegs.
Peg 21, Rob Dodd put a net of 52lb 5oz on the board, mostly on corn in the last 2.5hrs.
Nick on 22 only had 13lb 2oz before my turn to weigh showed 4lb 9oz of silvers, plus my carp total of 74lb 4oz gave me 78lb 13oz, so my clicker was only 10lb out!!

I then went and loaded the car and wandered down to Denise who made me a cup of tea. I drank this before looking at the sheet of weights for Brick lake, it'd fished hard with 79lb top weight from peg 7 which was Chris Higgs. Other than that it was Phil Clapp's net of silvers, 51lb+ that stood out, he had 19lb of carp to go with them to give him a second on lake net of 70lb 6oz.

I did catch up again with the scales in time to see James weigh in 59lb and a few ounces and the Mark Sweeting on peg 40 confirm his 2nd place (by 3oz) with 115lb 6oz. Elsewhere Jamie had 187lb+, Kev Crouch had 99lb and Steve Fouracre had 115lb 3oz from peg 126.

Tile Weigh Sheet.

Brick Weigh Sheet.

 
Results:
1st: 187lb 10oz, Jamie Cook. Peg 38
2nd: 115lb 6oz, Mark Sweeting. Peg 40
3rd: 115lb 3oz. Steve Fouracre. Peg 26
 
Silvers:
51lb 6oz, Phil Clapp. Peg 15.
 
The blind pairs (co-pegs written by drawn pegs on sheet) was won by Jamie and Phil Hembury with an aggregate of 200lb 3oz.
 
I managed to pick up my section money so I didn't leave empty handed, I finished 6th on the day I think, but it was a tough day for the most part with the method feeder proving the most consistent catcher in the windy conditions.
 
Next up is a PSV match at Landsend next Sunday, though I may get out and fish a match on Saturday depending on weather and how much sleep I get on Friday as it looks like date-night with Mrs W.
 
Until then, tight lines.
Lee


No comments:

Post a Comment