Saturday 20 June 2015

MMT Qualifiers at Larford (14th June) and Viaduct (20th June)

A quick sum up of my last couple of matches, both of which were nr 120 peggers in an attempt to qualify for the final of  Maver Match This.

Last weekend was up near Stourport at Maver Larford Lakes, a venue I have only seen a couple of times.
I arrived in plenty of time, drew around 10th as it was done in order of ticket purchase. Match Lake peg 12 would be my home for that match, not the best draw as I would have preferred to be up near the island. But a better draw than the Specimen lake, which by all accounts would be hard unless you drew the far end corners.
Larford Match Lake peg 12
I set up a waggler, a method feeder as this gave me most fish last time I was here.
A margin rig for against the 2 beds of reeds, a rig for meat in front at 6m plus a couple pellet rigs for 13m in front.
Simply my match began ok with a few f1's and skimmers in the opening half hour on the meat line, then the next 4.5hrs saw me tempt 2 f1's and a carp on the feeder and a few skimmers on the meat.
I tipped back around 30lb.
Graham Dack won from peg 28 on the match lake with around 170lb, a peg by the island.
The Speci lake was poor, a good few went fishless and sections were won with 10lb.

Today saw the MMT carnival at Viaduct, a somewhat more local venue.
Again I arrived early and took a walk around the lakes, not much jumped out as a 'want' peg, though I did like the look of Match Lake peg 45, though 42 looked ok. On middle the narrows looked ok, Spring lake, well 17 and 18 or 4 would do. Around to Lodge and 64 or 66 perhaps 73 would be my wish.
I didn't fancy Cary really, perhaps 81 or 85. Campbell had fish spawning like mad and would no doubt be tough, but 110 to 115 would be nice, 121, 124 or the pegs by the spit would be my personal preference.
At the draw I drew ok, peg 121 on Campbell. A nice right margin and short in front would be my ideals for today.
I set up a lead (fishless), a rig for right hand edge, a rig for pellet long and short along with a shallow rig (all 3 fishless) and a rig for the left hand edge (unused).
P121 right hand edge

P121 in front
Again I will cut a short story, I managed 3 carp in the first half hour down to my right on meat over toss-potted hemp and meat.
I then had a few roach, which coincided with the spawning slowing down......
The next 3.5hrs or so gave me a bunch of small skimmers and tench along with some chunky roach.
All the while I could see pegs 111, 112 (especially) and 114 all catching a few.
My end of the lake pegs 116 up and around to about 126 was very slow with not many carp being caught.
The last 30 mins of the match was a little more productive in that I landed 6 carp, lost 3 foul hookers, all from the right edge.
I didn't weigh, perhaps I should have, but my clicker showed 52lb for carp and I had around 10lb of silvers (inc a baby 3oz common). This 60lb-ish total could have been close to a pick up, even by default as others also tipped back!!
Pete Upperton on peg 112 won I believe, and local 'star' Freddy Roberts came 3rd, I don't know any other results, but on Campbell the southern end fished better, but most guys commented how that the fishing went very slow once the spawning had stopped.

Next for me is a match tomorrow at Shiplate with Pawlett, we have the Main lake (my preference) and Hawthorn canal lake. Lets hope them carpies have all spawned out and are munching!!

Until then, take care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment