Sunday 17 May 2015

MFS 2-Day event. Viaduct Fishery. Campbell and Cary Lakes. 15th and 16th May.

A quick overview of my 2 days at this awesome fishery.
It was a 2 day affair with 34 participants, 17 on each lake the alternating the lake so you get a go on each.
With there being many venue regulars/experts in the form of Roy Worth, Ben Hagg, Dan White, Mark Poppleton, Scott Russell, Fred Roberts, Steve Tucker and many many more, a very good draw both days would be needed to entertain any chances of a 'pick-up'.

Day One.
Most people wanted to be on Campbell on Friday as the wind was generally gonna be little to light, Saturday's was due to be somewhat windier, thus suiting Cary's beasts better.
Needless to say I plucked peg 99 on the diagonal bank of Cary, it'd only weighed a single small carp and a skimmer or 2 on Thursday's match. (it also dnw'd on day two I believe).
For company I had Alex Nadin on peg 98, Dan White on 97 and Callum Craig on the other side of the tree on peg 100.
I set up a topkit for silvers, a shallow stalking/slapping rig (no fish caught on this), a rig for full depth at 14.5m using pellet (no fish caught), a lead rod (no fish caught) and lastly a short meat rig for 6m in front.
Cary p99 - front view


Cary p99 - left hand edge
To cut a short story shorter I had 2lb 12oz of bits on the topkit and 2 carp for 27lb or so in the last half hour to come last in section, possibly across both lakes on the day.
My section struggled (relatively speaking) with Jon Martin winning the section from p102.
Ben Hagg won Campbell lake from p135 with 215lb-ish, a peg he reckoned prior to the event shouldn't be in. He caught mostly in the 2nd half of the match down his left edge.
Elsewhere Mark Poppleton had 200lb or so from peg 81 on Cary and Chris Fox 178lb-ish (I think) from peg 123.

Day 2.
The draw saw Ben Hagg pluck another bang on draw, p85, he was expected to do well, but Mark Poppleton had 118 on Campbell, Chris Fox was on 86 and Jon Martin on the peg I fancied peg 121.
The top end of Cary and Campbell was expected to be the favoured areas as we had a decent wind blowing up there and overnight on Friday, the fish do follow the wind.
Back to me, I didn't draw a great peg in 111, but at least I should catch a few fish.
To my right I had Steve Tucker and he had Dan White next to him.

Campbell p111 - front view

Campbell p111 - right edge towards p112
In short it was a tricky day with the wind being a bit of a pain in getting good presentation, plus the bulk of fish had moved up towards 114 and beyond.
I managed a few fish on the lead, a couple on the topkit down to my right and a handful on a short meat line. I didn't finish last on the lake or in my section, but my 95lb was the result of lots of effort with less reward. Plus I had lots of baby carp compared to others 6lb to 12lb fish.....those little commons seem to be my nemesis at the minute.

Elsewhere Ash Tompkins on peg 131 had a brilliant run of fish in the 2nd half of the match to weigh 160lb. The lad on 110 had a torrid time with the brambles down his left edge but still managed 130lb or more. Tucks had 120lb+ and he too had an issue with elastics and section. But a late run of lumps boosted his  net.
Dan White fished his usual decent tidy match to end nr 200lb I think. Mark Pops had 220lb from 118. Jon Martin won the lake and day with 240lb+ from peg 121, mostly on pellet.
On Cary it was Ben Hagg who won from p85, 215lb I think he weighed, mostly on meat over pellet down his margin. Chris Fox did well from p86 as Cary fished generally better.

Results overall (on weigh with 2pt each)
1st, Ben Hagg
2nd, Mark Poppleton
3rd, Jon Martin
4th, Chris Fox.
Top silvers aggregate was Stuart White 63lb 8oz

Top single weight went to Jon Martin 238lb 9oz p121 Campbell
Top single silvers weight was Scott Russell 37lb 12oz p129

So despite a couple of poor draws cost me, but very well done to the top guys who drew well and fished just as well. Well Done.

Next up will be my blog from the PSV v Carpenters match on Sedges Tile and Brick lakes.

Cheers.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment