Sunday 4 January 2015

Sedges Open, Tile Lake, 04-01-15...........Nope Brick Lake Knock-Up

Todays blog will only be short-ish after the day got off to a not-so-good start.
I woke up not feeling great, but I had a match to fish over on Sedges Tile Lake.......!!

I loaded the car and made the short trip to the venue, just for Jamie to tell me that I wasn't down on the list, which was now full, but I could hang around in case anyone doesn't appear. If they all did arrive then I could fish a knock-up with himself, Steve Fouracre and a late arrival in John Dursley.
Otherwise it'd have been a quick jaunt to Summerhayes or try and get on the open down at Avalon, neither of which appealed.

I had a bit of a chat with Johnny Page, Simon Ryall and a few others. Matt Taynton and Lionel Legge whom fish with PSV appeared too. Denise made me a cuppa, which went down well. They do look after anglers at Sedges.

I stuck around and all 20 fishing Tile arrived so the 4 of us would all chuck a tenner in the pot and the winner would get the £40, so at least a little competition. The main draw was done for the open match and no peg stood out as it seemed plenty of fish were showing all over the lake. Brick lake too had plenty of showing fish, carp and skimmers topping all over.
The 4 of us would fish the same times as the main match, 10am - 3pm and we'd plop ourselves on pegs 3, 5, 7 and 9. I drew 9, Jamie on 7, Steve on 5 and John down on peg 3. The lower numbered pegs had been doing ok recently on the silvers.

At my peg I set up a waggler to fish at around 20m in front, plus I set up a rig for 13m with silvers in mind plus a 2+2 rig for down my left hand edge, but that never gave a bite so no more on that.
Baits were live and dead maggots, micros and 6mm meat. The micro and maggot would be for the longer pole line and meat would be fished on the waggler and down the edge. I'd also fire a few maggots over the waggler line and a few would go down the edge.

I began on the waggler, not feeding anything and only suffered a missed bite in the first 20 minutes before a look on the pole, prompted by Jamie catching a few small roach and skimmers, gave me a couple roach to 3 or 4oz, but it was slow.
After an hour I bumped a couple skimmers on the pole before a couple more roach were added to the net.
90 minutes in and both Jamie and Steve were catching a few, the carp hadn't showed yet. But at that point I noticed John on peg 3 had attached himself to a carp and was on the waggler.
I returned to my waggler and missed a bite 1st chuck but connected with a decent skimmer on the next cast, a few minutes later I was attached to a carp myself and after a flurry of lengthy waddles by the fish I netted a mirror of around 13lb, bonus.

The remainder of the match was mostly spent on the waggler, only trying the short pole lines to rest the swim. I managed to catch another 4 carp and I found the decent skimmers were present and gave me regular bites, though as expected I did pull out of a few when bringing them in.
An un-seasonal tench of 2lb along with a 12oz perch were also put in the net as they interrupted the skimmer activity.

The all-out was sounded and I had 5 carp and about 8 or 10 decent skimmers, a perch, a tench and a few assorted roach, rudd and small skimmers. Maybe low double figures of silvers and 25lb of carp.
I spoke with John and he reckoned on 20lb+ of silvers and a couple small carp. He'd lost a carp estimated at 18-20lb earlier in the match.

The open match weighed in before us, so it was a matter of packing up and loading the car. I did catch up with the weigh in on the match to see that an 18lb fish was netted by someone and the road bank gave weights of 80-odd pound and 92lb to Paul Homewood and Simon Ryall respectively. Plenty of 25-35lb nets were weighed too and the top silvers was around 10lb to John Page.
Pegs 31 to 40 gave a few decent nets to 60lb or so before Kev Crouch on corner peg 40 places 100lb and a few ounces on the scales to take the match win.

On our little knock-up John Dursley placed 26lb of skimmers, caught short and late, on the scales plus a couple carp to total his net to 33lb-ish.
Steve Fouracre put mid-double figures of silvers on the scales before Jamie put around 17 or 18lb of mostly small fish on the board.
Lastly I weighed in, my 5 carp went just under 30lb, my double figures of silvers actually weighed just over 25lb. I weighed 55lb dead and was a nice days fishing on the waggler. So I picked up the £40 'winnings', so not too bad a day really.

Results for the Tile Match
1st p40, Kev Crouch, 100lb 9oz
2nd p24 or 25?, Simon Ryall, 92lb+
3rd p21, Paul Homewood, 82lb+

Silvers went to John Page with just over 10lb from peg 26 I think.

Next up for me is a match, for definite, is a PSV Match on Sedges Tile lake.

Until next time, Take care.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment