Sunday 28 September 2014

Pawlett Match, Viaduct Fishery, Campbell & Cary. 28/9/14

Today saw me at a match at the often prolific Viaduct Fishery. With 27 other souls, I hoped for a good days fishing.

Now everywhere has seemingly been iffy on the catches front (barring winning weights it seems), we all hoped that today would be a decent day none the less.
So after a chat with some of the guys we made the draw. Now recently I have been waiting for the 2nd last ticket in matches I have fished, with some decent results.
I had a choice of 2, these were peg 80 and peg 130.....now 80 would be nice I thought. I gave 1 ticket to Steve Fouracre and kept the other. Mine was peg 130, a shallow peg on Campbell, not a favoured area to say the least.

Pegs I would have liked would have been 74, 77, 80, 85, 86, 119, 118, 123 and 128 by the spit. Peg 130 would have been on my don't want list, lol.
I made my way to my peg and began to sort out my kit. For company I had Chris Higgs on corner peg 132. I could see the pegs opposite me, with Keith Clapp directly opposite me on peg 111. To my left, on the other side of the spit was Vic Bush, I fancied that peg to do well, more so when I realised that 129 wasn't in!!

Peg 130, Campbell Lake at Viaduct
I set up a pellet waggler for the sake of it, though I would mostly use it towards the spit to my left past peg 129, this was unfruitful as it only gave me 1 small skimmer and I lost a foul hooked carp. No more on that.
I set up a shallow rig that remained unused plus a rig for banded pellet at 13m in front. A meat rig for 2+2 (plus at topkit length in the last hour).
Lastly a 'margin' rig was assembled to fish at 2+2 to my left but a metre from the bank in slightly deeper water.
My kit was my usual 0.20>0.18>B911x size 16. As it was shallow I used NG Margin floats in 0.2g. Number 14 middy elastic was in all the kits.

Bait was simple. 8 and 6mm pellets, 8mm meat and 6pts of dead maggots.
The pellet was for the 13m line while the 'margin' line would be fed with dead maggots and odd bit of meat. The 2+2 meat line was fed with just meat.

The all in was called and I cupped 20 pieces of meat on 2+2 line and thirty 6mm pellets on that line.
I started long and not much happened. After 10 minutes I foul hooked a carp, then another and a third, all in the space of 10 minutes. Thankfully they came off quickly, I say thankfully, but that was the end of any action for the next 4hrs, barring odd accidently caught skimmer, plus a bonus 2lb perch. I did land my 1st carp on the long pole at just after 1pm, but that seemed to be a loner.
Elsewhere it was slow, though most guys I could see had at least 4 carp each at the halfway stage. Campbell was having an off day it seemed.

Over on Cary, word had got round that Steve Fouracre on peg 80 was doing well.....and that was all it seemed. Though Derek Beards and Rich Coles would be fishing for the skimmers no doubt on that lake.

Back to my match. By now it was 2:30pm and I probably had 10lb of silvers and my single 3lb carp.
I decided now would be the time to bait my 'margin' swim, so 2 pints of dead maggots and a handful of meat was cupped out over a decent sized area. I had a look back out on the pellet line, but was still suffering with foul hooked fish and line bites, they'd not settled properly, so gave up on that line.
I also came in on the 2+2 meat line and started to get knocks and indications over my toss-potted meat and within 20 minutes I had a few more skimmers and another small carp.

With just over 70 minutes to go it looked like I was last on the lake, actually I probably was. But I could see that the maggots had done the job intended and I had swirls, boils and obvious signs of carp feeding on the bait.
I grabbed the rig, impaled 4 dead maggots and lowered it in, immediately I had a bite and I hit into a carp. A few minutes later I had a 7lb fish in the net.
Next drop saw a 10lber landed, shortly followed by a 4lb carp and a couple small skimmers.
I fed another cup of maggots and went out on my meat line, this gave me a carp of around 6lb. I wasn't convinced these fish would settle too well, but as it turned out they had.

The last hour saw me regularly put carp in the net, only losing a couple by me pulling out of them, but the lost fish were smaller than the size that had appeared over the maggot. The ones I landed probably averaged 7lb+.
By the time the all out was called I had about 12lb of silvers and about 12 carp in total, so maybe 90lb in total.

I started to pack up and soon enough Paul had arrived to weigh in. 1st up was Chris Higgs on peg 132, he amassed around 11lb of bits and only a few carp to give him a total of 24lb 6oz.
Then it was my turn to weigh. With my swim not even resembling an angler packing up, I managed to get my nets to the scales, my silvers total was 14lb 4oz while my 3 spread nets of carp added another 93lb 14oz to my total. 108lb 2oz was my finishing weight. At least 90lb of that coming in the last hour or so.

Next up was Vic Bush, I knew he'd done ok and so it proved with his silvers totalling 16lb-ish and his carp topping his total up to 131lb 1oz.
I left the scales then to go and pack up, making my way to the car park once I had.
I chatted with a few guys, most indicated that Steve Fouracre on p80 (Cary) had won as he'd been catching all day.
Elsewhere Eric Fourace and Jamie Cook were rumoured to have done ok from pegs 123 and 119(both corners) respectively. Giffy and Nick Selway on Cary had topped 100lb by all accounts.

We were all soon by the lodge waiting for the results and it seemed it had fished patchy, in which I agreed as I only caught in the last phase of the match.

The results were called:
1st Steve Fouracre, peg 80 (Cary), 205lb 12oz (bomb/pellet towards the end of the spit)
2nd Eric Fouracre, peg 123 (Campbell), 131lb 6oz
3rd Vic Bush, peg 128 (Campbell), 131lb 1oz

Silvers
1st Derek Beard, p96, 32lb 8oz
2nd Rich Coles, p105, 29lb

Sections went to myself and Nick Selway (120lb, p100)

Weigh Sheet.
So all in all a tough match, I was lucky enough that the fish turned up late and were of a decent size.
My choice of maggots as feed was made as I knew it'd be tricky and naturals could work. Indeed Eric(worm) and Vic (maggot) caught using them I believe.
I did feed 4 pints of dead maggots, 2 small tins of meat and around 2 pints of pellet.

Next up for me is a PSV match on Brick Lake at Sedges. That's next Sunday.
Jamie is holding an open next Saturday on the same lake, I think there may be a few spaces, so give him a call if you fancy it, but be quick.

Take Care,
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment