Sunday 24 August 2014

PSV Match, Sedges Brick Lake, 24-08-14

Today saw myself along with 19 (ahem 13...!!) other guys pegged on the popular Sedges Brick Lake.
Now originally we had a full quota of 20 due to fish but we soon had a few drop outs during the week, this meant that 14 of us would be spread 7 on each bank.

I arrived in enough time, a rather full car park was my greeting due to a match on the Tile Lake.
I loaded the barrow and went for a chat with a few guys. Also I was instructed by Vic Bush to nab his tenner from Adam Caswell, an outstanding world cup bet I believe, but young Ads never had the dough, so that's one for another day.

The fancied pegs were as usual the 4 corners, p1, p10, p11 and p20, peg 3 was also a decent draw with a mixed bag of silvers and carp on that peg likely.
Me, I wanted to fish for silvers and therefore any pegs half way along either bank would be my preference. Now I always draw down the right hand bank when on Brick lake, so I would have liked pegs 3 to 8, but reality was 14 to 18 would do me.
I was 3rd last to draw and plucked the number 12, a peg I have fished before, but an iffy peg for both carp and silvers. It is probably 1 peg short of the skimmers and 11 is obviously a better carp peg, though 12 can do well of the carp are up that end in good numbers.
I wandered up to my peg to find I had Chris Gay on peg 11 and opposite I had Alan Healey and young Ryan Radford on pegs 9 and 10 respectively.

Brick Lake peg 12
I set up a few top kits, 2 for silvers, 1 shallow for carp, 1 for 6m out for carp, these 4 went fishless all day, along with the pellet waggler, so despite my efforts,  no more on these.
My last 2 rigs were a margin rig down to my left using worm over groundbait, and a depth pellet rig to fish at 13m in the 11 o'clock direction with 8mm bait in the band.
Baits were maggot, worm, caster, 8mm meat, 6mm pellet, 8mm pellet, expanded 6mm pellets and a couple of kilos of groundbait.

The all in sounded at 10am and I deposited various baits in various areas before starting on the waggler, this gave me an indication right away but it was a fouler and a scale soon came back.
I stuck at this for 40 minutes as nobody had much, but I remained fishless.
A look on the silvers line didn't give me a fish in the next hour......

It was soon 12pm and I had my 1st carp on the banded pellet, a nice 6lb fish was netted, soon followed by a 2lb skimmer and a smaller 3lb carp.
That was my action for another hour or so, it was 1:15 before my next fish, a 2lb skimmer on the banded pellet. The silvers were not playing ball for nearly everyone it seemed.
The carp were not in feeding mode either, though Chris on peg 11 had a few and lost a few due to a blunt hook!!

2pm soon came around and I had landed a good double figured common and a small skimmer. But foul hooked fish were a problem, the carp seemed to be hanging off bottom and reluctant to take a bait even when lifting/dropping or shallowing up. Over the course of the last 2.5hrs I must have hooked/pricked 20 carp, thankfully/unluckily I didn't land any and they didn't cause my swim much hassle.

Elsewhere I could see that Chris Szakacs on peg 1 landing a few, plus the guys further down to my left seemed to be having a few carp and skimmers. Oh and Chris on peg 12 was getting plenty on whatever he tried. Will Dearlove over on peg 6 had a few carp, Alan on peg 9 didn't seem like he had many (or rather I never saw him have many!!) neither did Ryan.

As we went into the last hour I had maybe 30lb of fish in the nets which seemed well behind the pace, but a 8lb fish was soon netted. As the all out sounded I was playing a 5lb fish caught on the worm down the edge, the fish were present too late as there was now swirls and tails waving in the edge. Oh well.

I began to pack up, rather annoyed that the skimmers never played ball despite my efforts, plus I struggled to get the carp to feed properly, but it did turn out to be a day like that for most except the two Chris's in corner pegs 1 and 12...!!
I soon had my kit on the barrow and waited for Jamie to arrive on our bank, I thought Chris had around 90lb and me, I thought that 45lb would be about my total.
The scales arrived and a look at the board saw Chris S. on peg 1 had 85lb+ and Alan on p9 had snuck 68lb+ into his nets. There were a couple 45-55lb nets but that's it. Mike Wilson was leading the silvers with around 12lb at this point.

Anyways, Chris Gays nets went over 98lb to push him into the lead.
My nets weighed a total of 59lb 9oz, this included 6lb 8oz of silvers, which although at this point would have gave me 2nd in silvers by default, but that was unlikely to last as I was told that Colin on peg 17 would have a good amount.
Peg 14 never weighed before young Adam Caswell plonked 57lb 12oz on the scales, Colin had 17lb 5oz of skimmers in his 28lb 6oz net (peg 17) and Rich Jones had 51lb 5oz off peg 18. Peg 20 dnw'd.

So my net was enough for 4th on the day, which was frustrating as I am sure a couple more fish would have been possible from my peg, though 87lb was unlikely for me I think.

Results:
1st - Chris Gay (p12) 98lb 8oz
2nd - Chris Szakacs (p1) 87lb 2oz
3rd - Alan Healey (p9) 68lb 14oz
4th - Lee Williams (p12) 59lb 9oz
5th - Mike Wilson (p3) 58lb

1st silvers - Colin Elaway  Butler (p17) 17lb 5oz
2nd silvers - Mike Wilson (p3) 12lb 9oz

So a tricky day all round with lower than expected weights, especially the silvers. But I enjoyed it and am glad the rains stayed away.

I am unsure what is next up for me, maybe I will venture to Summerhayes next sunday as I don't have a scheduled match as Plantations have stopped summer matches.
The following week I have Pawlett's day out at Walter Lake/Ridgeway in South Cerney, a canal/lanes type venue I fished last year for an Maggotdrowning match, that's on Saturday. The following Sunday sees me at either Viaduct Campbell or even the Huntspill at Wooolavington....decisions!!

Until then, Take Care.
Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment