Saturday 22 March 2014

Avalon Teams of 3 , final round, 16-03-14

Last Sunday was the last round of the Avalon Teams of 3 and with the top 2 teams pretty much securing their winnings, it was the match-day prizes that were up for grabs.
With the weather looking to be less windy, and any wind coming from the opposite direction to what it has been all winter, results and favoured pegs may be different, but again it'd depend on who drew where.

I had commented to my team mate, Paul, that I would like peg 23 or 24, he replied James could have peg 10 and he'd be stuck on peg 40 again...!! I really thought that one of the far end corners would be the peg to be.
Alas on the morning of the match I had let Paul do the draw, he drew 24, 40 and 10....bonus. But he'd put James on the top of the name sheet meaning that I would be on the same peg as the previous round, peg 10. Paul would be on p40 and James up in the corner that is peg 24.

After heading to the series' worst peg (or nearly worst), I waddled off to my home for the next 5 hours or so. I wasn't in the mood to fish the 'tip, surprisingly, lol, so I never bothered setting one up.
I did set up a waggler with banded pellet in mind, but nothing happened on that, 1 bit and a lost set-up which became entangled in an unseen reed.
I also set up 3 pole rigs, 1 for carp for down to my left and right in the margins, 1 rig for skimmers/roach at 14.5m slightly left and another rig to be fished in the direction of the point of the island with meat the chosen bait.

Peg 10, Avalon Fishery


This will be a short write up, my match basically consisted on trying everything I could (except the 'tip). I had a couple of early roach as Dave Allen to my left landed a carp on the feeder.
The 3rd to 4th hour gave me a couple skimmers, one over the groundbait at 14.5m line, this one was around 1.5lb, the second gave me a proper bit over the long meat line, I had hoped it'd be that carp that everyone needed, but it wasn't!!
The last hour gave me a couple more roach and a look down to my right hand margin actually saw me hook and land a carp of around 4lb. I also managed to hook, but lose, another carp down to my right and that was it for me.
All the while in peg 11, Dave Allen had bagged around 8 proper skimmers and he'd done well, he did lose a couple too, but looked to have a decent net of silvers, around 10lb maybe. The angler on my left had maybe 4 skimmers and his weight would be similar to mine.

As I packed up rather quickly, I had heard James had bagged a good few fish from his peg and looked like a contender for the match. Paul on the other hand, had done his usual peg 40 job, 1 carp and a few little silvers.
At the scales, my carp weighed around 4lb and my silvers topped my total to 8lb 4oz. Mid-way in section I guessed.
Dave had weighed over 11lb of silvers and looked to have won that pot.
I loaded the car and took a walk to the far side, rumour was James had nearly 50lb and unless somebody had hid a couple carp, he'd won the match.

The presentation and results saw Dave Allen win the silvers, James won overall with 47lb+ from the peg I thought I'd have, lol, but fair play to him he had to catch them.
Weston won the match on the day, Jon Page coming 2nd, I think, from peg 13, a peg I had warned him was full of snags, and that I'd had a couple sets of elastic break there earlier in the season, alas he did hook the snag (strong line, leads, feeders etc, attached to the fallen tree on the island) a couple times, breaking at least one set of elastic.

In the series, Sedges won overall, pretty much dominating from the 1st round, Fish and Field were a good second. My team came 6th and I am pleased enough with that given the lack of recent match fishing practice by James and Paul. But we all had a pick up or 2 in the series so we were quite happy.
Keith Clapp won the knock out and the individual prizes to boost the Sedges prize fund.
So well done to all that fished and congrats to Sedges and Keith Clapp.

Vic is taking bookings for next years Teams of 3, limited to 12 sides, to book in contact him on 07977 210078.

It was an enjoyable series, if not a little peggy, but that's cool water fishing and it was good to meet a few guys I've not met before along with some familiar faces.

Next up for me is a match on Plantations Main Lake tomorrow, 23rd March. This is a PSV match and should be good......but again it looks windy, I wish it'd do one!!

After that I have my 1st ever White Acres festival from the 31st March, I am travelling with James Withers, it is his 1st fest as well, so it'll be interesting. I also have the Viaduct Fishomania qualifier on the day we leave Newquay, so an early start there and a very good draw will do me!!

Until next time, take care.

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment