Monday 24 February 2014

Avalon Teams of 3, Avalon Match Lake, 23-02-14

A quick one this week as not much happened for a lot of us, me especially.....

I had notice from James that his daughter wasn't well and that they were on route to the B.R.I. to get her checked over, so he couldn't fish, as it was too late to find a replacement to come last in section, I thought we'd just go with me and Paul, 23 points was the best we could hope for, but that never happened!!

I got to the fishery at around 8:15 and paid our entry fee's, luckily Ian Graham was there and able to fish for us, so a massive thanks to him for that. I drew him a decent peg too...peg 24 up in the windward corner. I was on peg 10 and Paul on peg 40, so the same draw as we had in an earlier round. As for teams getting the same draws, Sedges drew well, Keith Clapp drew his favoured peg 20, so the match was won before it started, and Jamie was on the consistant peg 5.

For company I had Jonny Page on peg 11 and Keith Builder on peg 9. 
I never took any pics today, so apologies on that, but the water looked good for a few fish and with it warm-ish, but rather breezy, I expected a decent day.
I set up 2 rods for fishing to the island, one with lead and one with a small cage feeder.
2 pole rigs, one for carp, one for silvers, each rig covered two spots. I had a 9m line at 11 o'clock baited with 4mm soaked pellets and 6mm meat for carp, the 2 o'clock line was baited with groundbait for silvers. The margins each side were used, on the right for maggot over maggot, the left side was meat/4mm's.

The first hour of the match gave me 3 small roach....the last 4 hours were spent doing and trying various things to catch another fish, that fish never arrived......I fished mostly on the 'tip, but I had 2 liners and that's it!! The pole never gave a bite.
The guys either side of me had a carp or 2 each and Keith B. had a few skimmers (lost  a few too late on). Further down on peg 7 saw Eric Fouracre amass 12lb+ of skimmers while pegs 5 and 6 saw Jamie Cook and Pete Wild catch a good amount of carp between them.
Up on peg 20, Keith Clapp was bagging as usual, with Jamie Parkhouse moaning about the fact it was the 3rd time Keith's had that peg this series....lol

I have never been so bored in a match so when the weigh in came I was all ready to go home, my 3 little fish weighed officially 2oz....for last in section and probably last overall.....so we found James' replacement for last in section.....Me!!!

I had a quick chat with a few guys, and to be fair everyone had struggled, Tom Mangnall had 12oz (3 fish), Vince Brown also had 3 fish for not much more and a few other guys struggled for less than a couple pounds or so. Nobody believed how little I weighed, pretty much agreeing my peg was devoid of fish (well there was a pike sat in the reeds to my left most of the day..).
Team wise, Paul had a last gasp carp to add to his 3 small silvers and Ian on peg 24 had a late carp, lost one also, and totalled around 2lb 15oz.

The match was won by Keith Clapp with over 60lb from p20, Jamie Cook and Pete Wild were 2nd and 3rd respectively from pegs 5 and 6.

I didn't get the full results, but below are the figures from the Avalon Facebook page.

AVALON WINTER LEAGUE ROUND 5

1st Sedges 30
2nd Weston 23
3rd Thyers 22.5...
4th Over 50`s 21
5th Fish & Field 19
6th Somerset Carpenters 17
7th Mosella UK 16
8th Thatchers Youth 14
9th Enterprise Angling 13
10th Woolavy Wanderers 11.5
11th Frome Victorians 11

OVERALL

1st Sedges 343.15 13
2nd Fish & Field 185.12 19
3rd Mosella UK 266.12 21
4th Enterprise Angling 176.13 29
5th Somerset Carpenters 151.14 29
6th Over 50`s 142.09 31
7th Woolavy Wanderers 144.15 33
8th Thatchers Youth 138.00 34
9th Thyers 127.12 37
10th Weston 101.05 38
11th Frome Victorians 141.00 46
 
ON THE DAY
1st Keith Clapp Sedges 60.07
2nd Jamie Cook Sedges 36.08
3rd Pete Wild Mosella UK 33.11

KNOCKOUT FINAL

Keith Clapp v Martin Weston
 
 
So my team came tenth overall again and sit 7th overall, we really hope to get a few fish in 3 weeks time in the final round of matches, lets hope it's fishing better. Maybe be shall move up a spot or two, given the first 3 rounds we are a little disappointed on being 7th, but at the same token we may have taken that before the series began!!
 
Next up for me is a match on Trinity Woodlands this Sunday with Clevedon Club. It's been fishing ok I believe, so fingers crossed!!
 
Until next time, stay safe.

Lee.

No comments:

Post a Comment