Tuesday 8 October 2013

Pawlett Club Match - KSD Bradney - 15th Sept. 2013

This has been a long time waiting as I have been busy with various distractions and interest has waned a touch.

Anyways back to the 15th of September. Pawlett Legion AC had originally had a match organised on the Huntspill, but E.A. work on the Withygrove stretch meant it was re-arranged to the Kings Sedgemoor Drain at Bradney.

Now, I grew up fishing that particular stretch, sometimes 6 times a week, but it had been a while since I last fished a match on there. Between times I have carp fished it and pike fished it, also a few float sessions with the kids have whiled away a few hours.
To me, it was a bit early in the year to get the best of the stretch, we need a flush through of the waterway and a few decent frosts to get the roach on the feed.

I think there was 11 or so anglers fishing the match and we were all armed with the usual baits of hemp (i had 6pts), corn (1pt), caster (3pts), maggot (1pt) and a little groundbait (2kg). Now hemp/caster is a top KSD bait, coupled with corn for the tench, some really good catches can be had.

Into the draw bag goes my hand, out comes peg 4, a carper's peg, not a fancied one, i have struggled pleasure fishing this for bits when carping, so I knew I would struggle.
Ideally I wanted peg 1 or between 9 and 13 or so, I cant remember which exactly, but the pegs towards Parchey would be the likely contenders.
This peg has an obvious gulley of the original river bed at around 13m in front, it is a good 8 inches deeper here than the rest of the swim. I had reeds and a tree across and deep margins.

My Peg.... Carper's Peg,

I set up a feeder rod for towards the far side, but did not think I would catch on this.
I set up a waggler to fish 3/4 or so across where I would feed hemp and maggot hoping for a few fish early on.
I set up 3 top kits, 1 for the gulley, to fish over 8 or so big balls of GB, hoping a rogue bream turned up (or a big mass of roach). The second was for a section short of the gulley for roach with hemp/caster mix, the 3rd was a margin rig for the tench (and odd carp---some were seen in the first few pegs when setting up) corn and lots of hemp,
Lastly I set up a 3.5m whip for bits close in, loose feeding maggot.

The whistle sounded and I fed the swims and started on the whip, it took ten minutes to get a bite, which was a 2oz roach, 10 mins later a similar sized rudd and a baby perch. Then it went dead.
The next half hour was spent on the waggler, I had a half dozen little roach and silver bream upto 3oz.
The feeder bought me nothing for the 20 mins I tried it. It was not productive at all.

Elsewhere things were hard, but news filtered through a bream and tench had been caught by the end pegs towards Parchey, also Nick on peg 3 had a few as had peg 1. Other than that the fishing was tough, and if I could not catch then it must have been hard.....

The wind and rain increased and presentation was poor, so the match was spent picking odd fish off each line, with the margin swim only giving me a  sail away bite a few seconds before the all out, but I missed it....ball cocks.

The all out sounded and I began t pack up in the wind and rain, I thought I had a couple pounds at a push and was last or close to. Sadly this is how it turned out, I think I weighed just under 2 pound coming 2nd or 3rd from last.
There were a good few 4-5lb weights of bits, a couple 6lb weighs, 1 of which was a bream and a few ounces of bits the other a tench and a few bits. The winner came from peg one with a 9lb-ish net of roach, which was a decent catch for the day.

I enjoyed the day, not the weather, but as I said, we were maybe a bit early in the season for Bradney.

I haven't been out since then, but for me my next trip out looks to be on the 20th when I have a club match on Avalon. I need the practice for the winter teams of 3 series Vic is holding on there between November and March.

Until then stay safe and tight lines

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment