Sunday 23 June 2013

Pawlett Club - The Sedges, Brick and Tile Lakes 23/6/13

Today was Pawlett's match on the popular Sedges Fishery, using both Brick and Tile lake.
It also combined the 'secret pairs', which there is a trophy for the winners.

There was 37 down to fish, leaving 1 odd person, who's partner will be the average of the peg either side of where his non-existant partner would have been pegged.

At the 9am draw the banter and chat flowed and Denise supplied the teas and coffee.
The weather was rather windy, with odd shower predicted throughout the day. The wind was blowing up and across the lakes from pegs 1/2 on Brick or 21/22 on Tile across to 12/11 or 31/32 respectively.

Into the bucket and out comes peg 11 on Brick, a nice draw, somewhere I have not fished, but with the wind blowing that way perhaps the fish will have been up there too. Alas the wind was strong, limiting my pole to top-kit plus 3 sections.
So I made up 3 pole rigs, 1 for the right hand edge, not too close as the reeds were being folded onto the water in the wind. This rig was for 8mm meat over a mix of 6mm pellet and 8mm meat, only fed by cup or toss-pot as the wind limited my hand and catty feeding. This rig was also used for top-kit length out in front, alas it didn't produce here, well except for a 6oz roach.
My 2nd line was at top-kit plus 3 sections directly in front, fishing chopped worm and caster, the same rig would be used for the 10 o'clock line at the same pole length, here would be dampened 4mm pellets, using a banded pellet or a 6mm expander as bait. Targeting skimmers really on both lines, you can catch 30-50lb of skimmers at times on all the lakes at Sedges.
I also set up a shallow rig incase the wind dropped, more in hope, and was never used.

I also set up a bomb/8mm pellet rod and an open end groundbait feeder(using soft pellet) with banded pellet in mind. I had set the 2nd rod with a pellet feeder, but it snagged in the margins, thus me setting up the standard feeder.

The horn sounded the all in, lines were fed and 1 chucked the feeder out towards the central rope. 15 minutes later a skimmer was in the net, soon followed by another, both of these were 4oz fish, not the usual 12oz-2lb fish. During the 1st hour a couple skimmers and a couple of carp had been landed on the opposite bank, including a couple to Tom Mangnall, fishing his 1st Pawlett Club match, he was on peg 6.

Just as we headed into hour 2 I had a wrap around on the feeder and I gingerly played a bream of around 4lb to the net. And that was all the action on the feeder or lead rods for the day.
I re-fed the pole lines before dropping in over the chopped worm line, double caster bought an immediate response, a 4oz skimmer netted. This was a false dawn as bites were limited.
Meanwhile the guys across the way were catching odd carp and it seemed like plenty of skimmers spread along all 9 of the anglers.

A look on the banded pellet line bought another skimmer of 10oz, again a false dawn. So I went onto the line to my right, a bit of 8mm meat bought an instant response and a skimmer was netted, this was soon followed by a carp around 6lb. Bites coming as the wind dropped.
The next couple of hours bought me another couple skimmers, but more helpfully 7 carp, 2 of which went 26lb 15oz combined, they fought like demons, but bites came in 2's, then I had to re-feed a decent helping of pellet/meat.

I was looking ok for a place on the lake as all I could see was Tom on p6 catching a few lumps, indeed he went to get a 3rd keepnet. Peg 10 had landed a few, but I think they were silvers and Nick on peg 7 had landed a couple too. My bank was difficult, but then I couldn't see anyone. I thought I had maybe 50lb of carp and 10lb of silvers.
I wasn't sure how Tile was doing, but I thought to myself that they'd probably done better than Brick lake.

Anyway the wind put paid to an interesting match, though I did lose a rig to a fish, the loop came off the connector, also I managed to find a few snags leading to broke hooklengths.

The all out sounded and I figured, from what I had seen, caught less than Tom and maybe the 2 Chris' on pegs 3 and 4. But I was hopeful my 2 larger carp were going to help.
So I packed up while the scales weighed the far bank of Tile, eventually I caught up with the scales and the weigh sheet showed a few 60lb weights. A fair few 40's and odd 50lb nets too.
Along the pegs 31-40 we saw Jamie (venue owner) weigh in 115lb-ish from peg 37, but other than that we saw a 73lb weight from peg 40, Phil Clapp being the angler in that case.
Onto Brick lake, pegs 1-10, these saw pegs 3 and 4 weigh in 46lb and 44lb respectively, however peg 3 was mostly carp and peg 4 was more 50/50 split of carp and silvers. Tom Mangnall weighed 105lb, then weights dropped off.
My turn to weigh, my silvers went 13lb 12oz, plus my carp tally meant I totalled 71lb 15oz. Other than 2 weights of 20lb there was not much to shout about. The lake had been tricky, especially on my bank which the wind was no doubt the factor with presentation hard to come by. The silvers weights on the calmer bank were by far better.

As it turned out my weight was enough for 4th on the day, but only a section place as the payout was top 3 overall, 2 silvers spots and 3 sections.

I don't have the full results but the top spots were:
1st, Jamie Cook - Tile p37 - 115lb + oz's
2nd, Tom Mangnall - Brick p6 - 105lb + oz's, includes best silvers weight of 25lb 4oz.
3rd, Phil Clapp - Tile p40 - 73lb + oz's
4th, Lee Williams - Brick p11, 71lb + oz's

Silvers winner was Chris Pike, with the 2nd best silvers weight of  24lb 5oz

I didn't get all the section winners, and the Pairs title went to Tom and Phil.

Overall the venue fished fair, if not patchy, but all enjoyed their time on the bank today.

Next up for me is Saturday on Acorn's little lake and Landsend on Sunday.

Take Care

Lee

No comments:

Post a Comment